Disappointed in French vaccine progress

I don’t think that’ll be a problem for the demographic here :roll_eyes::grin:

4 Likes

Well, 2nd dose duly received. :slight_smile:

I think the full mind control kicks in in about a week.

9 Likes

It’s all up to Bill now.

1 Like

Vaccination is one thing but I’ve still got customers trying to come into the shop without a mask, got one waiting outside as I type!
Just put up my latest affiche! :grin:

7 Likes

Germany will now be giving the AZ VACCINE to over 65s

Gradually numbers are going up - with 1st plus 2nd doses most weekdays being well over 150k and approaching 200k. Still not fast enough  but at least heading the right way.

Meanwhile in the UK the number of new 1st dose has slowed slightly - some of that is due to 2nd doses coming in but we still lag France in that regard. However I expect we will have caught up by the end of March.

We are having the same twelve week wait as in UK with our AZ vaccine, so maybe if that is universal it might take a bit longer.

1 Like

From Lettre Service-Public 5 mars shown here

What epicurean delights do you stock and where in your emporium.?

Wife had AZ last Saturday…I’m past 65… and had exactly those symptoms felt quite rough for 36 hours, but then fine

After weeks of trawling through all the centres in 3 departements, and one in a 4th, without success I went to our doctor’s receptionist today to ask for vacc. for my wife and I. The reason why I had not done this before was because they had a sign on the door which said only ‘50 to 65 year olds’.

Today that had been partly overwritten ‘…to 74 year olds’.

Her face dropped when I said we were 78 but she has taken our details and will let us know when/if the situation changes. On verra.

Haven’t you had a letter from Ameli inviting you to partake … sent out to all 75+ on their books… :upside_down_face: as far as I know… around January.

Yes, one each, weeks ago, but about as useful as a chocolate teapot. All it did was encourage me to apply on line to all the centres that have proved so useless ever since.

1 Like

I found the on-lines all showed as full last week … after our Doc gave us the go ahead for OH to be vaccinated…
Somewhat dismayed, I phoned around… hit lucky 2nd time… and… amazingly only had to hold for a few minutes before my call was answered by a real person.

Seems they want OH’s letter, CVitale and drugs’ prescription… when he goes on 18th March… chuffed about the swift appointment and glad I didn’t chuck his letter away…

perhaps you could try ringing your local centres, again … 10am was lucky for me.
(I’m wondering if the phone contact enables them to fill spaces where someone has cancelled)

I am nervous about phoning, my hearing is somewhat impaired and this is worse with phone conversations and especially in French. I am worried that they will speak too quickly and I might get the wrong end of the stick.

This apparent lack of comprehension in the language is embarrassing after living here so long but I know it shouldn’t be, that it has been getting worse over the years, not better. When I started work here as a driver in 1999 I travelled the length and breadth of France and sometimes beyond. No sat nav and no visual communication, all my instructions for going to the next loading point came in telephone calls in the cab and only once was there a mistake and that was because a faulty address was given to me.

Which is why I drove to the surgery today rather than telephone, and why I don’t trust phoning instead of online searching. No more though, I’ll simply wait and take my chances.

Oh David, I spent so many years when I was young and hadn’t yet learnt French being so scared to call. If you would like some help I don’t mind calling for you, just private message me. seems a shame to miss out (potentially) on a quicker RDV for the sake of a quick call.

2 Likes

David… I would much rather speak face to face than on the phone… but, I am pleased to say that… although the lady started off rather fast… she did slow down.

It helped, I think, that I had my first phrases ready…

Bonjour Madame
Mon mari a soixante-quinze ans et il a reçu une lettre de Santé France concernant vaccination. (while this might not be correct French, it is understandable)

After that she asked me simple questions

His name?
His age?
Date of birth?
Postcode?
Commune?

Honestly, David… I was so relieved.

Oh … and I asked her to repeat the date and the time… and she slowed right down and said both, very clearly… phew. (I have trouble with numbers over the phone)

I wrote down the appt date and time, then read it back to her… just to be sure.

As Tory says… why not ask someone to help you… armed with all the info… anyone can make the appt.

best of luck

PS. I have found that by speaking clearly and slowly, that slows the other party down… also… “trop vite, madame/monsieur… trop vite…” works well.

I’ve heard the French also say “doucement, doucement”

I agree with Stella. - prepare vocabulary. I also ALWAYS, start by apologising (in French) and saying I am English and only speak a little French. In most cases that disarms and gives them a chance to say "you speak good French (I don’t) which then enables me to say “vous êtes très gentil/gentille” which disarms further. Maybe it’s easier for women - we are expected to be less competent (NB: I wish it were otherwise), and we have fewer issues about being apologetic.
If using the phone is a problem generally for you David, have you perhaps considered getting a phone designed for the hard of hearing?
It just so speeds up what one can achieve if one has the confidence to use the phone.

2 Likes

yes, doucement works well, too … also good for calming over-excited dogs… :rofl: :rofl:

whatever one says… having it actually written down makes all the difference, for me at least, as I find my mind can go blank at the most inopportune moments… :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I wonder if so much fuss was made when they used inoculation to get rid of Smallpox ?

1 Like