EV - buy or wait?

Sadly missing is the CO2 level to obtain the fuel for the volvo.

There’s a reference here (don’t know how reliable) which suggests 720g/l for petrol and 640g/l for diesel - obviously that should be the same whatever make of car.

There are “hidden” CO2 costs in electricity generation, even from renewables, of course.

As there are for the extraction and refining of fossil fuels to be used just the once. Also cobalt is used once as a catalyst to remove the sulphur from fuels ( as that is often mentioned with EV’s)

Can’t say too much about the author in case I end up working at the British Museum. Traveling in a car with an illegal cracked windscreen??

I do agree the UK half bottomed charging structure needs to improve.

I think this needs looking into more thoroughly to see where the extra occurs, would it shipping? The thousands of extra ICE parts that require casting and forging then machining to my mind doesnt correlate to those figures. More information needed.

Thats wrong, he was at His Smumueseum, his own car museum.

I didn’t spot that - as I said I found the whole thing pretty mundane and interesting more-or-less only because there was an actual figure from a manufacturer comparing an ICE model with its EV “twin” - I haven’t see/heard that data anywhere, just vague figures. Oh and, as you say, the comparison between the state of the charging networks in the Eu and UK was somewhat enlightening.

Which was discussed in that article I linked which starts to put an actual figure on it which is useful for trying to make meaningful comparisons.

I’ll bet the excess is predominantly the battery.

The bottom line is that it is not quite  as straightforward as “EV good ICE bad” - in fact there was another thread about this here - not sure that came to any useful conclusion :thinking:

There are other advantages of EVs though - just wandering past a line of petrol engined cars the other day I was struck just how obvious the pollution that they produce is (at least every other vehicle was diesel) - so air quality benefits enormously.

They are also cheaper to run but, whether than will last remains to be seen - fuel duty nets the government £28 billion/year long term they might want that back.

Absolutely!
You only have to look at the UK’s shift to gas a few years ago and now the country is gas reliant what is happening to the price of gas, up up up!
It doesn’t need an Einstein to work out what will happen to the price of electricity when used for EV’s.

1 Like

Of course it would be short sighted to think otherwise, there has to be income for the government. Charging from your own PV panels would definitely upset the gov.

That said oil will also rise in cost especially as it begins to run out so better to begin changing before it does.

But they are happy to waste 37billion of our money at the stoke of a pen.

https://www.carbonindependent.org/17.html

Might be useful for analysis

Also important to not just consider CO2, plenty of other nasties.

It’s not that straight forward, as not all electricity users are car owners. There’s talk of road &/or time & distance pricing, but those bring fear of surveillance to the fore.

1 Like

No worse than your phone sending your every move back to Google. People are getting very desensitized to this sort of thing.

Or the car’s software could calculate the overall amount without revealing location data.

Like living in a sci-fi film

Indeed - the problem is that the one we’re in at the moment is “Brazil”.

Hahaha

Tax is very straightforward.
The UK government has decided that by 2030 if you want a new car then it must be electric, if that’s not big brother deciding what you can and cannot do then what is?
There are many ways to tax the electricity used by EV’sand rest assured it will happen.
Thinking of the charging then what about a street full of houses where all vehicles have to park on the road, hopefully outside their house. There is a footpath then perhaps a small garden frontage and then the house, not an uncommon scenario.
Lots of cables strung from car to house and what’s stopping someone "borrowing " a socket from a nearby car and plugging in to theirs?
You might say don’t be daft but how in earth can a working infrastructure be set up by 2030 to support all these silent cars.
Another point, just this last week my wife and I were walking along a pedestrian area when we heard a bell. As it happens it was about 12 noon and we assumed it was a nearby church bell ringing. We continued to amble along until a passer by alerted us to an electric van used to empty the street bins that had been following us for some time, totally silent other than the bell. Electric vehicles should make a noise.
The town was Bayonne, a love place to visit.

1 Like

Well, it clearly did, it had a bell, as you said.
Anyway, low speed noise is becoming mandatory, so that’s one less thing for you to stress about.

A bell doesn’t correlate with the approach of a vehicle in my book.
I can assure you that stress is not something that I do any more. When I was younger then yes, I stressed about lots of things, not least what the future might hold. My future has arrived with the here and now and the golden years of life which hopefully will last for a good while yet. Long enough to buy a new diesel powered car before 2030 which should then last long enough to see me out.

1 Like

They dont all have a bell, what of a silent pushbike, should it have a bell?

Yes your diesel will see you out maybe some others around you with respiratory disease and pneumonia no doubt.
I cant wait to get rid of mine, no more smelly hands at the fuel station.
It would have gone by now but for covid and job loss.

Do you go by the name of Jack? In that you’ll be alright…

I take it that you are now not bothered about the future of those younger than you then?