*Everyone* is a potential Covid Spreader

On the immune system…

The importance of these findings is that a drop in oxygen levels (hypoxia) is associated with an impairment in immunity. Studies have shown that hypoxia can inhibit the type of main immune cells used to fight viral infections called the CD4+ T-lymphocyte. This occurs because the hypoxia increases the level of a compound called hypoxia inducible factor-1 (HIF-1), which inhibits T-lymphocytes and stimulates a powerful immune inhibitor cell called the Tregs. . This sets the stage for contracting any infection, including COVID-19 and making the consequences of that infection much graver. In essence, your mask may very well put you at an increased risk of infections and if so, having a much worse outcome.5,6,7

People with cancer, especially if the cancer has spread, will be at a further risk from prolonged hypoxia as the cancer grows best in a microenvironment that is low in oxygen. Low oxygen also promotes inflammation which can promote the growth, invasion and spread of cancers.8,9 Repeated episodes of hypoxia has been proposed as a significant factor in atherosclerosis and hence increases all cardiovascular (heart attacks) and cerebrovascular (strokes) diseases.10

Masks don’t cause hypoxia

1 Like

That was just a flippant quip.
Charlatan would be a better word.
If he had been European he would have been struck off.

1 Like

I replied because the hypothetical subject was that “everyone” should wear a mask…

Fortunately there are exemptions and for good reason in my opinion…

@Helen6 ré “On the immune system…”

I think this is a dog’s breakfast approach to research, quite obviously a hasty cut-and-paste job dressed up to simulate a research abstract, but full of procedural gaffs and illiteracies.

Looks like an undergraduate’s 'desperate bid to get an unclassified degree at the last minute, scribbled out by a boozy pal as a favour. :joy::-1: Result: “Afraid you blew it” :writing_hand::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Right from the beginning, what he says is illogical. Healthy people won’t be exhaling Covid-19.
Those who are already infected should be self-isolating and therefore won’t need a mask - even if his theory had any scientific basis.

Taking it from the top…:grinning:

Pete said:

“… so everyone must wear a mask when outside the home, or receiving non-resident others in the home, when visits should be no more than 3 minutes and strictly distanced

This will reduce contamination levels, and should be universally obligatory IMO. No equivocation, no évasions, no excuses.

Discuss, including appropriate sanctions.”

@Helen6 the founder of GreenMed deplores the absence of a double-blind randomised research project to prove his hypothesis that wearing a mask causes hypoxia.

Any suggestions on how to run such a trial e.g. some patients wear masks and others are deemed to wear non-masks, while others are given masks but hypnotised randomly by researchers into believing they are/aren’t wearing masks, or while not wearing masks are hypnotised by researchers into thinking they are wearing one: but there may be an ethical issue here, and we may have to have a cohort of researchers who can not hypnotise the subjects, but go through the motions of swinging a pocket watch before the subjects eyes as if they can, it gets a bit difficult here, as some subjects may be hypoxic anyway for other reasons… Help!!!

1 Like

Yes Eddie, and there are a million videos on the internet showing people wearing surgical masks of all kinds while monitoring their O2 levels. It’s quite clear that wearing a mask does not cause a reduction in O2 levels.
They might make you feel a bit claustrophobic or hot or uncomfortable but that’s it. The effect is psychological rather than physical.
I can completely understand why someone who already has restricted lung function would want to avoid wearing a mask because it can induce all those feelings of being unable to breathe. These people are exempted anyway.
So anyone who is well should just get on with it and wear a damn mask in order to protect their fellow humans. All the ridiculous conspiracy theories and mutterings about rights and freedoms just because it’s not very nice just makes my blood boil.
I’m done with anyone who won’t wear a mask.
Izzy x

4 Likes

I had a bout of pulmonary œdema which put me in hospital and spent a few terrifying nights with a full face mask and ventilator before being shipped off to Bordeaux for surgery and I can tell you it was extremely unpleasant and I wanted to tear the bloody thing off against a warning from the Doctor that they would intubate instead if I did that :anguished:
Wearing a mask is a «walk in the park» in comparison :innocent:

4 Likes

Oh Graham, I can only imagine how awful that was. I had a friend, no longer with us sadly, who had COPD and she had to have non-invasive ventilation for a while (I think that’s what you are talking about?) and it was terrifying for her. Having your mouth and nose completely covered and air tight is just so horrible.
Glad you’re OK now.
Izzy x

1 Like

My cousin had to have NIV as well ,it is very unpleasant

Unless you have suffered that fate, you can’t possibly know what it is like to be frightened witless by it. I can only liken it to be being suffocated alive!
Ending up in Soins intensifs with covid-19 is not an option because that’s what you will end up being saddled with so to those people who «prefer» not to wear a mask - get a life and save some-one else’s :roll_eyes:
It’s not bloody fair to put others at risk just because of your own self centred selfishness :rage:

7 Likes

My cousin refused to have it on at first but his hypoxia made him confused so they could act in his best interest

Should a person whose breathing function is reduced significantly be “out & about” in the current circumstances to the degree they need to wear a mask?

If it was me I would be staying safe indoors at home.

5 Likes

That’s certainly what my mom has done Mat…she’s not been out the front door since March and all regular clinic/hospital checkups cancelled…but shielding for the clinically vulnerable is about to come to an end…

She has an exemption but I think she is more worried about being singled out (when appts do eventually start up again) for not wearing a mask than she is about the virus…

Phrases like “wear a damn mask” make me cringe inwardly for people who can’t…

I think the mask mandate is now more about politics and less about an individual’s health…

(Its took me ages to write this reply…there’s a hedgehog in the garden and my girl is adamant it needs bringing into the lounge…:grinning:)

Would your Mum be ale to tolerate a visor, @Helen6? They serve the same function and don’t touch the mouth, nose or face.

It might be less oppressive and would not attract ill-informed comment. The head-strap could incorporate a message “Mask Exempt” or some such if need be.

I wore a safety visor to prevent airborne spread of exhaled droplets in March before masks became generally available: the one I wear when using the tronçonneuse for cutting logs. It’s very light to wear and can be hinged upwards to drink or when socially distanced.

1 Like

It was more the second article Pete as there is a list of 13 studies referenced at the bottom…:thinking:

But I also thought the first article presented as a hypothesis was worth a mention in your discussion…

The tech giants twitter Facebook YouTube etc are removing content right left and centre and supposed independent fact checkers are anything but…

1 Like

I’ve ordered one for her to try around the house Pete…:heart:

(I also got a box of disposable face masks delivered but after she tried to walk to the kitchen with her frame wearing one she was in a bad way…she has an oxometer)

1 Like

Does your Mum get a constant supply of oxygen via nasal catheters?