Favourite Biscuits

I used to like babys rusks(when in my twenties )

1 Like

MarkRegular

1h

I thought it was "dismantled " by Jose Bove and followers over a row due to US import taxes on rocquefort’

They were protesting against US hormone treated beef and the US’s retaliation against Roquefort (which was late rextended to all lait cru fromages).

Dismantled’ is the Wikipaedia term, interestingly the same slightly unusual word is used in Vallois (2007) Aveyron: a Bridge to French Arcadia, which suggests the London based journo either plagiarised Wikip, or wrote that entry. Anyhow, it was certainly destroyed, and for all the right reasons!

Today Millau’s best very fast food place is trois étoilles Michael Bras’s aire at the northern end of Norman Foster’s sublime Millau Bridge

Love the thought of a flame grilled burger restaurant.

1 Like

I remember buttering Farleys Rusks…yummy. Had an uncle who worked for them so he must have given us lots of freebies.

1 Like

Weetabix buttered with jam on top. :grinning:

I used to love Weetabix with milk for breakfast… but since we came to France, I discovered it made me unwell (no idea why). I cut out the Weetabix… and problem solved.

Me too!!
Izzy x

1 Like

If we wanted biscuits (a rare treat when we were kids, I used to eat the dogs Winalot🐶) they always came as an assortment from the broken biscuit box from the local grocers. Did they sell them “loose” then (mid 60s ish)? The best finds were custard creams and bourbons

We used to get broken biscuits from Peek Freens in London. Memory tells me that my father knew someone who worked there.

Winalot is delicious and probably healthier than lots of things. It came in a big green paper sack didn’t it, I used to swipe a couple of bits when I was sent to the kitchen for something.

1 Like

Just going passed the old factory now on the train.

Not surprised.

Reading about sugar on this thread reminded me that I had a really bad, bad, bad sweet tooth – I’d go shopping to get one of these, and then consume it teaspoon by teaspoon until the tin was empty. And I’d scrape the bottom and the sides of the tin until I was sure none was left!

I think it contained 45% sugar.

And, once here in France, did indulge from time to time, but must have lost that sweet tooth somewhere along the way.

1 Like

My siblings used to have condensed milk sandwiches… not me… I hated it… but did enjoy evaporated milk whisked into melted jelly cubes… delicious… we called it French Pud as it was our French grandma who first produced this delicious dessert…

1 Like

As a boy, after school, dinner for my brother, my cousin and myself would be soft cheese spread rolls, followed by sliced banana and condensed milk – it was yummy I remember, looked forward to it.

The memories are being ignited here!

2 Likes

Magical times… are well worth remembering… :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I used to be the same!
…and also indulged in condensed milk sarnies and sliced bananas and condensed milk.

2 Likes

|I will get back to biscuits… honest… but just had to post this Evaporated Milk Advert… it’s French Pud from 1950’s…

3 Likes

Delia Smith uses evaporated milk in her rice pudding recipe. It’s amazingly good!
We used to have sugar sandwiches as kids. White bread, proper butter and white crunchy sugar.
Izzy x

2 Likes

The high fat content of some of those mentioned tempers down the effect of the sugar spike. Todays low fat alternatives give your body the full sugar spike effect therefore are worse.