Flea help please

I was on BBC Southeast evening news on friday 19 May with my asian vs european hornets. Asians do not fly at night, so if they’re flying after dark, them’s be European.

6 Likes

The European hornet is 4-5 cm long with a predominantly yellow abdomen, it looks like a [very] big wasp. The Asian is more black with an orange tip at the end of the abdomen, amongst other things, it is a lot smaller than the European.

Neither the AH or EH are particularly aggressive, unless provoked. Both eat insects, including bees.

The problem is that the AH is just another wasp, but the press have got hold of it, and turned it into a monster.

It is a great insect, just in the wrong place; think grey squirrel vs red, think ring necked parakeet vs woodpeckers. They need to be controlled.

3 Likes

As in? Do you mean exterminated or otherwise controlled? Ushered out of the house (what I do), made to feel unwelcome (like orange peel for cats (thanks @SuePJ )), introduction of predators (cane toads to eat beetles (that went well, buggers’ empire is expanding to eat other people (all life is people to me))?
Or what?

Don’t be fooled by the flippant tone @Rob_le_Pest , I kill nothing that doesn’t directly threaten me or mine (ticks and fleas, and processional caterpillars)) and am genuinely interested. :smiley:

2 Likes

that seems reasonable to me…
We have jars (of various sizes) each with a piece of card… readily to hand for when some unwanted visitor arrives… said visitor is gently captured and released elsewhere… if at all possible.

Probably the last update………unless anything suddenly emerges!

Now several nights pest free and much to my absolute delight, the very itchy bites that I thought may never go, have just about disappeared now, miraculously​:partying_face::partying_face: And the last couple of naked sleeping nights have been an absolute pleasure :+1::+1:

5 Likes

I tread a fine line between what some people deem to be a merciless profession, and a bringer of peace of mind and giving someone’s life back. I have resigned from several groups because of the abuse I get suggesting treatment methods.

Professional Pest Controllers control pests professionally; we are trained to read the instructions on the packet (!) and all work must be carried out as humanely as possible.

Regarding the AH, it is not a pest in Asia, unfortunately it has been introduced into Europe so they must be destroyed, killed, nuked (humanely). There is mass hysteria from bad reporting and made up horror stories. They are out performing the EH, and they don’t just eat bees.

If, for instance one is unfortunate enough to have an EH nest in ones chimney, then helas, it will probably need to be destroyed. However, if a nest causes no risk to man nor beast, then I will happily spend twice as long convincing the client not to have it destroyed, and happily walk away without payment.

FYI fleas, flies, cockroaches, mosquitoes can all transmit lethal pathogens to humans, whereas a bed bug does not. However, it’s the bed bug who has the worse reputation. I’d rather have my blood drunk by a bed bug, than have my food vomited or cr**ped on, or injected with the plaque, dengue, malaria etc.

:nauseated_face:

10 Likes

Very good news, and the thought of them I am sure we will all treasure. :joy:

@Stella

We have jars (of various sizes) each with a piece of card… readily to hand for when some unwanted visitor arrives… said visitor is gently captured and released elsewhere… if at all possible.

I have progressed from a glass jam jar to a plastic ‘melange fruits secs’ one which means, because I can move very quickly against a window without breaking anything, I can even capture swifties like flies now for immediate deportation. :rofl:

I even watch them fly away to guard against U-turns. Next step in evolution, radio collars? :thinking: :joy:

1 Like

Yay, great news, well done!

1 Like

We rely on you to keep us on the right path… :+1:

4 Likes

Oh dear, looks like I have to add them to the list, but hold on, they don’t, directly, harm me or mine, just the eco system in general so maybe they still don’t qualify. If they did I would have to start slaughtering all manner of living things as if I was an eco knight.
Thanks for the swift and informative reply @Rob_le_Pest but one last question. If the AH is not a pest in Asia, what does it prey on there, if not bees which are essential to all life? Just wondering. :thinking:

Insects, more precise protein, the same as wasps, and European hornets.

It’s smoke and mirrors that the AH only eats bees and that they have decimated the bee population in France (but not on Jersey bizarrely).

I’m wondering if the Tiger Mozzies are as bad as we’re being told…??
what’s your take on them…???

I have not had to deal with them, so I’m not au fait with them, but here’s a recent report. Note they are being called the Asian Tiger Moz, so any insect that can make news nowadays, that’s bad, seems to be called Asian! Back in the day, everything bad was French; disease, letters etc. Disease-carrying mosquitoes are spreading through Europe: How can we protect ourselves? | Euronews

Some mosquitoes may carry disease, so take the usual precautions against against getting bitten. Some ticks, fleas also could transmit pathogens. High risk areas are sometimes ‘fogged’ whilst the population sleep. Otherwise, don’t leave stagnant water, and drink lots of quinnine!

I’m already emptying/refilling the birdbath on a daily basis… now need to organize the many potplants and their saucers (meant to make the most of the meagre rains of summer…) :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you for the link, Rob. I note with interest in this report

If you want to keep mosquitoes at bay safely and still smell delicious, try coconut oil instead. The fatty acids in there have been found to be highly effective repellents against mosquitoes and other blood-sucking insects including biting flies, ticks and bed bugs.

Rather than “delicious”, we may smell like we’re on holiday in Bali but that wouldn’t be horrid!

3 Likes

A mosquito larvae breathes through its bum whilst hanging to the underneath of the water surface tension. A spot of washing up liquid in your water tub will remove the film, so they will drown. Then your rainwater is moz proof. :grin:

2 Likes

OK that’ll work in the potplants… but I don’t think the birds and thirsty insects will like it… (or will they…???)

I’m talking about a spot, it will not be a problem, not a bottle. Washing up liquid is a degreassant so too much will destroy the waterproof qualities of feathers, whilst your sparraz (sic) will be forever blowing bubbles :rofl:

3 Likes

We do this for our large water buts that fill from our guttering. You can’t completely seal them in, but a quick squirt of washing up liquid now and then works brilliantly.

1 Like

this is one of our “regulars” …

1 Like