France for Xmas

Thanks again Paul and in answer to Eddie, yes as Paul said the non existent 2nd wave death rate announced a couple of weeks ago that they were out by a factor of 10.

The 2nd wave is so similar to the seasonal spike for all cause mortaility and respiritory spike that occur annually and that the bee sting spike was actually over before the 2nd lock down began.

The numbers donā€™t look so bad until you realise the population of Sweden is only 10 million. If you equate that to the UK population of 67 million then 4,000 cases per day equates to 27,000 cases and their peak of about 7,000 cases to 47,000 cases - even the UK hasnā€™t reached that level.
Some of your posts, John, are downright dangerous. I hope most people are taking it more seriously than you seem to be.
Izzy x

3 Likes

Izzy please be reassured I am taking it seriously. Examination of the stand taken by health departments and gov guidelines versus the scientific data and input from epidemiologists around the globe is warranted.
From my perspective, there is now zero income into our household because of lockdowns and unsustainable businesses under such matters, that is pretty serious? Whilst the steps taken were rational in the beginning no one had a clue what the outcome was. Now we see little more than a ripple yet it is affecting a lot of people and that is reflected in deaths occuring at home for people who would have been in hospital. The numbers there are shocking compared to a few covid deaths now.
Yes population density clearly has an impact except in London the increase in cases is absolutely minimal why? These things need looking into and having a sensible discussion is not out of place.

Less deaths this time around because we know more about treatment,and how to handle the virus,however hospitals are getting pretty full so eventually the death rate could start to go up again

And even if you donā€™t die, or even end up in hospital you do NOT want to get it.

I know three people personally who have had it. Two are a couple my age, teachers, they were both really ill, much more so than with flu, husband is still struggling to breathe properly when climbing stairs etc. Third person is a guy in his 30ā€™s - at peak of physical fitness, special forces operative and known within the group for being one of the best of the best athletes they have. He got it in March and has long term covid and is still convalescent. Personally I donā€™t want to take the risk and if that means people canā€™t get back ā€˜to normalā€™ for months to come, then so be it.

3 Likes

Donā€™t be fooled by the fact that vastly more testing means a much higher pick up rate of mild disease - roughly divide todayā€™s case numbers by 10 to compare with the spring.

Improvements in care mean you are about 40% less likely to die if you need hospital/ITU (rƩanimation).

3 Likes

I thought he due to make some sort of announcement next week (w/c 23/11)

Yep, it is indeed next week, not this week, as Iā€™d originally thought Iā€™d heard on the news.

Isnt that why they built the Nightingale hospitals so covid were cared for away from the hospitals that can then care for the usual cancer, heart disease, strokes and seasonal respiratory illness?

Itā€™s fine to build hospitals. Last time the C19 patients who werenā€™t requiring ICU were treated in our local Nightingale. The issue is where do you get the staff from to care for the patients? There isnā€™t a magic nurse tree An awful lot of nurses are ill themselves,needing to self isolate,just plain knackered etc. There is already talk of taking the one to one nursing requirement from some ICU patients

We are looking at driving over, not sure if we will be able to buy fingers crosssed.
Good luck for your flight.

Really get that, 63 and much in (or not) the same boat, last travelled back from UK on 31st January so as to travel pre Brexit day, holiday home in UK empty since, friends and family not seen and didnā€™t go back for Dadā€™s funeral. Itā€™s people who spread viral infections, viruses do not spread themselves. Up until recently used to travel a lot for work, 30 or so flights in the previous 3 years and 40 channel crossings in 2014/2015 but this last 9 months no work at my choice, life is precious. Thanks for the chace to fully agree with you and pass on my (tinyish rant) opinion

5 Likes

If I had children I would think twice about it, but I a singleton and must get back to the UK for some important dental treatment. EasyJet appear to have brought flights from starting in March 2021 to December this year from France to the UK to December but it doesnā€™t say on the Government website that flights from France to the UK still need the 2 weeks quarantine. It just says restrictions lifted.
I wanted to get back soon and not during any Christmas rush.
Can anyone help.
Thanks, Martin

Go by train?

Thanks. It it will be more crowded and expensive. EasyJet are distancing everyone and charging Ā£24 to Gatwick so tempting if I donā€™t go near anyone!

France has extremely good dentists and with the R rate above 1 it only needs one unknowing infected person to travel and take Covid with them.
We have friends who often returned to uk for dental treatment and chiropractor even though they were in the system here and I still dont understand why?
Why as a singleton do you think it is ok to travel yet if you were a parent you would think twice?

3 Likes

Only because I would be concerned about
others. Itā€™s just that I have very few real teeth left and she works wonders with never any pain. Iā€™m certainly not anti French dentists itā€™s just finding one. My dentist is frightfully expensive but brilliant. To change could be more dangerous than risking Covid-19.
I am have only spoken face to face with friends and family ONCE this year so rather desperate as I will also be missing them this Christmas so as not to cause any problems. I am 81 next month so it rather complicates the issue. I donā€™t want to get Covid-19 but Iā€™m in good health, donā€™t take any medication so perhaps risking it but the % that die is still quite small and if one ends up dead at least Iā€™ve had a good innings.
Thanks for you input anyway.
Cheers.
Martin

2 Likes

I can sort of see why it is nice to see someone you know but dentistry is so good and cheap here. Seems a huge risk to fly and expose yourself for something you cna do near home. Where do you live? I know an excellent, English speaking (moved here when 2) French trained dentist / dental surgeon in the Dordogne.

If flying were truly a high risk why are there still flights? Other retailers have been forced to curtail on Gov orders. Aircraft do have controlled air handling and fine fitration possibly backed up by UV sterilisation.

Wow. I have just moved near Bergerac after 7 years in Provence.
Tell me more.
Cheers. Martin