French order on Britons' no-deal rights is now law

Controversially swinging back to the topic…
We had our interviews at the Bureau des Etrangers at our Prefecture in Aveyron on the monday of the week before the announcement. We both had forgotten birth certificates but the dossiers were opened and I dropped off the required copies 2 days after.
My brother on law had his interview in Tarn the day after the announcement. He had not got his attestation for the Carte Vitale, they refused to open the dossier. That evening he could not book another appointment. Today, sister in law had her appointment. On arrival she was told it was cancelled. They said that they have been told to refuse any UK applicants until after March 29.
I am guessing that we will have to wait until our applications get kicked out before trying again.

Oh drat… that is bad news…

but, for you, your dossiers are there… safe in their hands… phew… :hugs:

Now that’s “drivel” Stella…IMO

And does a little drivel merit three buckets of puke? I think not. It’s a provocation in my opinion. Some would call it baiting.

By your account of things you’ve been treated less than sensitively by the staff at your Préfecture, some might call it harshly. One wonders why there is so much variation in the treatment of foreign claimants.

Perhaps it’s pressure of demand, or incomplete dossiers (recognising that fonctionnaires are trained to be méticuleux/euses), or shortage of staff. Many of the claimants not being francophone may add to staff stresses. I don’t know.

But it’s only since getting hold of our own that I’m aware of how much anxiety I’ve suppressed since first finding out about these cards, and starting the process of getting them - even if they turn out be worthless in the long run

It’s a grim experience overall.

I applied for a CdS, on arrival in August 2002.
By February 2003, I asked at the Mairie if there was a problem.
A short while later, I got a call to go the Mairie à propos my CdS.
The receptionist (!) told me that I hadn’t enough money in my current account to qualify.
I explained that I had had enough money on arrival, even after paying for my house; but since August I’d been trying to make it habitable.
Some months later I spoke to the mayor & he explained that the chap responsible for CdS applications had been found to have kept certain application forms locked in his desk…he had since been sideways promoted.
This took place in the Tarn. It can be a very difficult area for some; others, on the other hand don’t seem to have this problem.

@james

Peter, I have been treated courteously and politely, that was in Averyron. My brother and sister in law had the worse traetment, with their application being rejected pnding the UK decision at the end of March.

I have suffered from similar in the UK, in Cyprus and in the United States. Sometimes people behave overly officiously when given responsibility, sometimes they do not.

I note that there is no mention on the Tarn Prefecture web site that English people may not apply until after March 29.

1 Like

Thanks for putting me right about Aveyron, Mark. :+1:

Everyone that’s here having a row, pack it in.

4 Likes

Well said, there is enough stress around without trying to score points…at least for the moment !

I will be shortly going to the Prefecture to ask exactly what they need , a bit different in that we have all had CDs’ in the past. I am now faced with preparing dossiers for 3 people, one of them being my disabled, elderly and deaf mother, the other my ‘ex’, but still married and totally uncaring about preparing anything !

Anyway that’s life but let’s have a bit of humour too please, or I might just go and throw myself in the étang and that would be a pity as I have been invited out for a Valentine’s lunch ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

If you think the moderation isn’t even handed here it’s a good job people don’t post elsewhere where the mods gang up and it becomes bullying

3 Likes

Bob,
Yes, that is pretty sick, wishing death on HRM or any others. just because of Brexit, it’s hardly an hangable, or off with their heads offence to be hung drawn ‘n’ quarter’d after.

3 Likes

I have given her the benefit of the doubt through out these so called ‘negotiations’, but at times I have wondered, like many, whether she is in cahoots with the EU, as she has made such little progress & has capitulated to an unhelpful degree…I have come to the conclusion, that her nature is to try to placate all sides & that undermines her position, as well as the fact that she is not an experienced negotiator…In my view, the EU has made it’s position crystal clear from day 1… & the UK gov. should have made plans for a no deal much earlier on…

1 Like

‘forumite’…sounds like something you might like to scratch…

1 Like

That’s how you see things…others are allowed to hold other opinions, which they feel are equally valid…It always annoys me when people post statements that seem to assume that everyone using the site is of the same opinion…simply not the case…

2 Likes

That étang of yours would only come up to your knees, Ann :joy: I’ve seen a picture of it somewhere. But none of us would like to see you up to your knees in the weeds on our account.

Bear in mind there may be nippy écrevisses in the murk of that there étang, before you wade out. If spiders give you the eeby-jeebies écrevisses would be your Waterloo :scorpion::scorpion::scorpion::scorpion: :cold_sweat:

Only trying to cheer you up, you seem fed uo :blush:

Hear Hear Hillary the one thing that really annoys me is when someone speaks for me. There is only one person speaks on my behalf and that’s me. The use of ‘we’ or ‘our’ unless I have been consulted really wind me up

2 Likes

Come off it, Wozza. This is a classic case of Chinese Whispers gone berserk (spell check wanted to write Chinese Windsors - very spooky!)

Bob Sivell said he WOULDN’T MIND SEEING THE ROYAL FAMILY SAFELY EVACUATED TO THE MIDDLE OF THE ATLANTIC and that has been morphed into wanting to see them dead, or planning regicide!

Where’s the even-handed moderation and balaced comment in the coals of fire/buckets of puke heaped on Bob’s head, or should I just jump in Ann’s étang and shout Infamy, infamy they’ve all got it in fer somebody? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Peter,
Not the way I read it, just look for yourself, some of Bobs comments (pls see below) may look innocence taking a bash at the Royal Family, hell why not ! They are in the public domain. But … I can’t deal with this sort of abuse perpetrating to death ! I’m pretty sure if this was said about Blacks, Arabs, Jews & poor people as the scum etc.etc. this would have been sanctioned in a few minutes.
3j
See Bobs remarks below.
I’ve often advocated that the Royal Family should be made into cat food
I’d quite happily see HMTQ, Phil, & all the others safely evacuated, in the event of a “no-deal” scenario…preferably to somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic; maybe even without a life raft.

2 Likes