French Vaccine Programme

anyone not getting a jab? scares the willies out of me :sob:

1 Like

Why?
Doesnā€™t scare me even a fraction as much as this disease.

3 Likes

If you are scared of the injection itself hurting, donā€™t be. Itā€™s a light scratch at worst. And donā€™t watch while they do it, just chat to whoever does it.

If you are scared of the aftereffects of the injection, yes, for some people they have spent a miserable 24 hours feeling achy / shivery / headachy. It is only about 24 hours and the sensible thing is just to crawl back to bed with a hot water bottle and sleep it off. It is one day and a lot better than getting the disease itself.

If you are scared of more serious side effects - the risks are infinitesimal and less than the risks of getting the disease itself.

Itā€™s possible to ā€œdetachā€ your fear from the jab itself if you use techniques like ā€œtappingā€ or ā€œpstechā€, which unbundle the negative emotional attachment we get to some situations (like being scared of spiders). It is useful to be able to have jabs without being scared of them. There are times in our lives (like now) when injections are very necessary.

1 Like

I have a major needle phobia, I did not feel the needle even go in !

I just talked to the nurse and Doctor who was doing the admin as it was done and hadnā€™t realised she had finished :slight_smile:

They advised taking paracetamol to help with any after effects - took paracetamol until i went to bed and felt no effects at all. My OH did have a slight dizzy spell and cold symptoms, gone the next day.

My reason for having it is I donā€™t want to be responsible for making anyone else ill or even cause their death by possibly being asymptomatic. If we all have the vaccination then we at least protect those who canā€™t have it as much as we possibly can.

4 Likes

Neither Jim or I even felt it.
Just donā€™t look and I bet you won;t even know that they have done it.
Man up.

When I read it yesterday I completely misread your post Dan. I thought you meant the idea of some (a lot of?) people not getting the jab scared you. Thatā€™s what scares me, because I think (in a totally lay personā€™s way) as long as there enough people unvaccinated then the virus will circulate sufficiently to mutate and one mutation might just escape the vaccine :slightly_frowning_face:

Well done you for taking the shot :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe youā€™re right John and we have misunderstood. Well, our comments may help someone else who is afraid to get it done.

I read somewhere yesterday that 20% of over-75s in France are not vaccinated - I assume, given how easy it is now for anybody to get vaccinated, these are mainly either ā€˜vaccine scepticsā€™ or very fearful.

Just checked on Le Monde and it looks like the next age band down (65-74) have had almost the same percentage of first jabs as the over 75s despite starting a couple of months later. I wonder if there is a higher nervousness in the older band :thinking:

Or indifference? Judging from the old farmers round here who walk round Leclerc with their mask round their knees I think they really couldnā€™t care less.

4 Likes

And the number of folk who donā€™t seem to realise that you breathe through your nose as well.

yes Iā€™m scared of needles but Iā€™m also scared of the side effects too!
Iā€™m probs a fair bit younger than a lot of folk on here and Iā€™m a very healthy person
The disease doesnā€™t actually scare me, the recovery rate is over 99% for healthy folks from what Iā€™ve read
Iā€™m happy to have an exchange of ā€˜probable factsā€™ to change my point of view
I know facts are often tough to come by nowadays with all the propaganda kicking around
Iā€™ll start with 2 questions then
if youā€™ve been vaccinated why are you afraid of people like me who havenā€™t, surely youā€™re ā€˜safeā€™ now?
have you heard of pandemrix?
Thanks, Iā€™m not trying to start a fight here so relax and treat it like a mature human
bon courage!

2 Likes

To be honest Dave my thoughts are that for a healthy young person getting vaccinated is just an act of selflessness.
The chances are that for you personally covid would not be a problem - but getting vaccinated does seem to reduce the number of viruses you might pass on, and therefore contributes to reducing the circulation of covid generally - and ultimately helps save somebody that is elderly or otherwise vulnerable.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly why my neighbours and I booked up. We have to stop it circulating so that people who need treatment for things that are not Covid, can get treatment.

My first rule for injections is let them know when I walk in, that Iā€™m fine so long as I donā€™t see the needle.

My second rule is for any medical thing that involves touching me : get the nurse to do it, not the doctor. The nurse has done it many more times and has the experience. Many doctors donā€™t.

If Iā€™m not vaccinated I wonā€™t be able to see my parents, who are vulnerable - even though they have now been vaccinated they wonā€™t let me near them unless I have too.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t have much time for anything Hancock says, but when he stated last week that all of the people that had been hospitalised with the Indian variant in Bolton had been offered and refused the vaccine I though it was a very good point. Then I found out it was actually a lie and that Hancock was just trying to blame vaccination hesitancy for Johnsonsā€™s hesitancy in putting India on the red list. They just canā€™t stop lying, itā€™s hard to keep up.

1 Like

Farmer neighbour, 70+ has no intention of having the vaccine at the moment and nor do his family.
Ex neighbour who works in the local pharmacy says that many people are turning down the vaccine if offered AZeneca but will be happy to have one of the alternatives.

It could be worse :wink:

2 Likes

If their mouths are moving they are lying, but I am happy to be proved wrong :woman_shrugging:

Our closest neighbours were adamant they would not have the vaccination, until they gained full confidence. We conveyed our excitement about getting our jabs and they did start to mellow towards the possibility. Happy to say they have had their first piqƻre :clap: