Fuel crisis in France - Update

it’s been a bit like folk stocking up on toilet rolls, coffee, mustard or whatever panic is going on… causes problems all round.

Exactly, and the moment the media start ramping up the scaremongering it seems that the behaviour kicks off exponentially! Crazy, and takes me right back to being in the UK during the height of covid and seeing folks stack shopping trollies like they were going into hibernation for the next couple of years - barmy, but many folks just panic with the smallest hint or wiff of a problem :roll_eyes:

Imagine what all those ‘preppers’ have been doing in the US since Mr Putin invaded.

Why am I having this uncontrollable urge to go shopping NOW

:roll_of_toilet_paper::roll_of_toilet_paper::roll_of_toilet_paper::roll_of_toilet_paper::roll_of_toilet_paper::roll_of_toilet_paper::roll_of_toilet_paper:

I can walk to a Super U in about 15mins on the flat so thought perhaps I might invest in one of those large bags or baskets on wheels that you use to see only old ladies pulling along. Would make carrying the heavier stuff like packs of water a whole lot easier if push comes to shove.

3 Likes

Why not look for alternatives to bottled water in plastic bottles (and save the planet)?
This topic explored options…

1 Like

Activated charcol takes out chlorine and chloramines so should cure that problem. Takes out quite a bit more that you wouldnt want in there.

1 Like

Need is the greatest inventor.

And sometimes it makes us think twice about those ‘normal’ habits :+1:

Sounds like a great idea - good for you :+1:

there’s a move afoot to stop folk filling jerrycans…

You can get nifty little carts that unfold, not seen one in real life but got an ad, it looked quite good (I was looking for the sort you can put 3 or 4 children in).

Our waterworks recommends you fill tap water into bottles and put them in the fridge for a few hours. That’s what the restaurants do too. It gets rid of the chlorine. Don’t ask me how!

Just popping out to plug the car in overnight…

2 Likes

Because it wont.

1 Like

How am I supposed to buy SP95 for my ride-on mower then? Not only would it take hours to drive to my nearest petrol station at 6kph, I’m sure the Gendarmerie would have something to say on the matter.

3 Likes

But the village would have lovely verges

2 Likes

I am sure you fully understand the issue… :wink: :+1: :rofl:
grasscutting might (only might) have to come second to folk going to work (car-sharing if possible), or to hospital/doctor/whatever…

If everyone is reasonable… we can surely get through these times

we’ve not got a full petrol tank, so are planning the one essential medical trip will also be when a quick shop is done en-route… then slink home…

1 Like

Filled up at 1.63 2 and bit weeks ago, was 1.88 today! 25 c eek! Topped up my tank (only 1/4 empty) at 1.76 Friday. The price this morning when I went past was still in the high 1.70s so huge jump today.

Scary when I have a 60km round trip to work and can’t afford an electric!

2 Likes

Are you sure Tory? At your 1.88 per litre price, you could save up to 8€ a day (depending on your fuel economy and overnight electricity cost) - so that’s maybe 40€ per week saving just on your commute - 2,000€ per year. Add in similar savings on leisure etc trips as well - and lower maintenance etc costs too - and that purchase cost difference can be quickly repaid.

I agree with you Geof, I think we can afford it, WITH a loan. If I’ve understood the system we can even get a 0% eco pret. I did the calcs when deisel was up over 2euros and at that I’m looking at around €150/ month fuel v €32 / month electric. We also have a 1/2 solar system with a fee panels and some batteries (currently not actually hooked up!!!) So weekends and Wednesday should be able to charge from free solar. Unfortunately I’m married to a Yorkshire man (1/2 French too :rofl: ) who is insanely opposed to any credit. We’ve never even had a mortgage!!! I’m working on him! The frustrating thing is that we removed the battery / wheels from our old multpla about 18 months ago and stopped paying insurance until himself had time to get it back on the road (awesome van!!). And before anyone chimes in, this is legal, we found the legislation on the gouv site and Axa agreed and were fine to suspend it! You can’t get the prime on a car that’s not been insured for at least 12 months. He doesn’t want to trade in our other cars so without the €5000 the figures dont add up :cry: . I think I’ll reinsure it and then relook in 12 months.