Gilet Jaunes blockages were the final straw

You’re welcome Remi - and, as for being close to French people, about 80% of my family are French born - love them to bits!

I do too. In fact, it is in UK, US etc… that they use the word “expat” apparently. In France, “expatrié” or “travailleur détaché” is for people sent abroad by their company, but this is a “niche”. Otherwise, “travailleur immigré” is more in the context of “main d’oeuvre” brought after WW1 and after the 60s.

Foreign people who moved around with the EU treaty do not have a specific term as far as I can tell.

What the exact meaning of “wind up” please, in this context ?

Oh yes they do…

This is a legal term, not a sociological one. This reflects what the legal rights of the people are, not how they live, what is their long-term future in the country, in which community they live etc…
On top of that, EU citizens have very specific rights, just like Commonwealth people have also specific rights etc…

No Remi - it’s a simple English, dictionary definition :slight_smile: (same word in French)

Sorry to be pedantic in your own language: “Immigrant” is a quite general and legal term and does not reflect the sociological reality people live in.

For example, in your country, there are many different sorts of immigrants. They are not all treated the same way, at all (as I had to learn by myself, without local relatives giving explanations).

Hi Remi it means you are a provocateur.

1 Like

Remi - a couple of suggestions for you:

1. If you’ve got something to say - just say it.

2. Start a discussion to help you 'understand the social and political views of expat British living in France’

(PS: How about your picture instead of a letter?? :slight_smile:)

1 Like

(informal) (= annoy, provoke) asticoter (informal)

Here is an interesting read from Le Figaro. ( mainly a republican following) hope this helps Dan . http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2018/12/17/01002-20181217ARTFIG00297-le-ric-une-disposition-qui-implique-une-reforme-constitutionnelle.php

I did already Simon , you commented on them ? The list was not a voting thing it was more of a demand thing , proposal. If none are accepted by the gouvernement there would be no referendum. There would also be no point in proposing an exhaustive list of what each person wants , imagine mrs Smith at number 23 wants free cat food because cats don’t have same rights as people do . But with the RIC system if say 750,000 people signed a petition agreeing with Mrs Smith , the whole voting population could vote for poor cat of Smith family . Just a humoristique example. :wink: I really am a Brit too Simon , been here for over twenty years now . Things have changed since Europe got hold , people are not so laid back now , life on certain levels is no longer as easy as was. My humble opinion again.

1 Like

Trying to communicate with foreigners, who necessarily have different views, in their own foreign language, always bring the risk of being misunderstood, and freshly welcome.

3 Likes

You’re right about that Remi - Madame Wood, who is French, and l have communicated with a lot of misunderstanding and a great deal of humour over the past 49 years - She describes it as a Vicious Circus😊

4 Likes

Having English as 4th language and 1/4 US ‘culture’ and none UK ‘culture’ in me, I could not find anything provoking in Remi’s questions.

1 Like

tenor

I worked for a multinational (offices in +133 Countries), in one office we were 70+ people of 40+ nationalities. We got immune to cultural insensitivies fast :sunglasses:

1 Like

Did anyone notice the promotion of Melechon’s Merry Mob of Morons on Channel 2 news last night? If that wasn’t biased then I don’t know what qualifies.

There is a list from 2005 of 100 produits de premier nécessité, I can’t see them having changed much since then , maybe female sanitary products. Again trying to help. https://www.challenges.fr/economie/quels-sont-ces-produits-de-premiere-necessite-qui-echapperont-a-la-hausse-de-la-tva_1338