Good grief.... I agree with Gavin Williamson and the Telegraph

I think there are English butchers who will send you such things along with pork pies etc.
Google.

1 Like

One could say that Stalin persecuted his own people with a religious zeal in the name of Marxist-Leninism and that he had faith that he was right.

Hi John, brilliant thread drift! To answer your question, I used to get back bacon from the local butcher who would cure and smoke his own but it was often a bit salty and a bit dry so would soak it for half an hour and it would be just like a proper rasher. Alternatively, there are some Brit farmers in the UK who supply bacon and sausages etc in the British “style” and you can find them with a google search. Found this one although never used them so no idea of quality.
Hope that helps.
Izzy x

We had bacon from these guys for lunch today - it was excellent, first back Bacon in 2 years.

1 Like

I got bacon a few times from a supplier in the North of France but can’t remember what they were called. It was more than 13 years ago though. They also used to sell sausages and pork pies and scotch eggs. Must try and find them online. Not for me, back in the UK now, but others may be interested.
Izzy x

1 Like

IMO it is totally unacceptable to pander to religious extremists. Where would it end, angry Scientologists, rampaging moon worshipers, protesting pastafarians? Either allowances are made for all religions or none, and I vote none.

1 Like

Very bad for you :flushed: Sodium nitrite… ohhhh. Far better a naturally “cured” sanglier rasher. There’s a couple of buggers that keep getting into my garden that are going end that way pretty soon.

I’m sure you’ve heard the old joke… What’s the difference between involved and committed? A hen is involved the the preparation of a full English breakfast, the pig is committed.

That is exactly what the Education Nationale thinks.

3 Likes

I think it is THE only sensible solution Vero. Anything else is free for all chaos where religious militants are rewarded.

1 Like

I agree - but remember my previous post: this is easily said in a properly secular society like France - it would be very contentious and divisive in the UK context, and would certainly raise constitutional etc issues too.

Batley Grammar School is not a grammar school; It appears to be a Free School so much loved by the likes of Toby Young and friends. I would think that they only held on to the name because it would sound better than Batley Academy. If I remember correctly Religious Education is required to form part of the National Curriculum but its content is defined locally by some sort of board and is intended to reflect the locality. Mr Kibble or Whibble or whatever his name is preferred throwing one of his staff under a bus rather than rocking the Academy boat.

Don’t do my size Ducky.

You’ve checked then. :grinning:

Once again Geof, I don’t disagree, but action needs to be taken. The current situation is wrong and it will only disapprove. A long term plan to remove all aspects of religion from State schools is the only solution IMO.

Great way to offload the problem. It wasn’t us what did it Guv.

Ah, but you have freedom of speech, don’t you? We don’t :slight_smile:

What do you mean? I don’t understand, sorry :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not anymore…I just wondered if gammon is a French meat cut

Just remembered it was Epicerie Barenton but having done a Google search it seems they went out of business about 7 years ago. Domage!
Izzy x

Laïcité (or secularism) is national in school and society John, as Véro says, except for one striking major exception: Alsace-Moselle (3 départements, in this case called “départements concordataires” or “départements sous régime concordataire”). So in these departments, pupils are allowed to wear religious signs, religion is taught just like RE in the UK etc. It’s called the Concordat in Alsace-Moselle (Concordat in Alsace-Moselle - Wikipedia).

There’s also a specific situation pertaining to laïcité in schools in several of the “territoires ultramarins”, Overseas departements/regions (see this, most notably Guyane, since a royal ordnance of 1828 under Charles X, and several Overseas territories since 1939, as per the Mandel Decree of 1939 which is the cornerstone of local legislation in religious matters in French Guiana, French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Mayotte, Wallis and Futuna and Saint- Pierre and Miquelon, about 1 million people; see the Wiki on the Décrets-lois Mandel). The 1905 law however applies fully to the larger Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion (cumulated pop: 1.7 million).

Dpts 67, 68 & 57 have a specific legislation on these religious matters as the 1905 law on the separation of Church and State (which repealed the 1801 Concordat) never applied to Alsace-Moselle seeing that Alsace-Moselle at that time belonged to the German Empire (it had been annexed by Germany following its victory in the Franco-Prussian war of 1870-71). When Alsace-Moselle returned to the French fold in 1918, the local religious big fromages persuaded the French authorities to keep the status quo going, that was accepted and officially ratified by a law voted in 1924.

In those 3 départements the State still governs the various faiths. Religion is taught in schools, the state pays the religious personnel, the training courses, the pensions and so on, for the 4 recognised cultes/faiths, as per the 1801 Concordat and its “statut des cultes reconnus“ (catholicism, Lutherian and Reformed Protestantism and Judaism).

For instance, blasphemy legislation in France was abolished in 1791 during the French Revolution (a 1819 royal decree would briefly re-establish, through a law punishing “l’outrage à la morale publique et religieuse", complemented in 1825 by the so-called “Anti-Sacrilege Act” but that legal combo was repealed in 1830 and thus taken out of the Code Pénal) and blasphemy was officially fully decriminalised in 1881 (it was part of the 1881 Law on the Freedom of the press, with the exception of Alsace-Lorraine of course since it was part of Bismark’s recently-unified Germany - the German Empire, 1871-1918), but it’s only been since January 2017 that blasphemy is legal in Alsace-Lorraine, although I understand that it was tolerated there before that date.

The Concordat of Alsace-Moselle is a relic of the post-Revolution period and the 1801 Concordat (which was in a nutshell a rehabilitation of the Catholic Church after the battering the Church took during the Revolution. Post 1801 then, most of the Catholic Church powers and were restored and it continued to wield great influence in the public sphere, although this influence waned as Republican democratic ideals progressively took root in French society throughout the 19th century, and particularly so of course when the Third Republic was created in 1870).

2 Likes