Homeoprophylaxis

“too much ordered by the left cerebral hemisphere, preoccupied by detail and linear relationships at the expense of the left hemisphere’s more diffuse, global and imaginative influence”

Proofreading ! :grin:
Or are you testing who is right-brained and who is left-brained ?:wink:

Or harebrained​:joy::joy:

2 Likes

Well spotted Véronique, you have your cerebral hemispheres well meshed and firing on all cylinders, as is to be expected. It was a careless mistake on my part which will encourage me to proofread my content properly before clicking reply. And I should groom my feathers, and wipe my beak more thoroughly before pecking out my comment. :rooster:

1 Like

I also found this interesting too Geoff…not directly related but shows how “information” from mainstream resources is constantly manipulated…I long ago noticed missing citations in Wikipedia to do with homeopathy and vaccine research and natural alternatives…it now appears that we are justified in our suspicions…???

I thought everyone knew that Wikipedia is never to be taken as gospel…the full facts… no matter what the subject. That has always been quite clear.

IMO everything on Wikipedia needs to be taken with more than just a pinch of salt…:zipper_mouth_face:

I think wikipedia does have its place. I recall some time ago I tested it by inputing that my village in Aude was the world’s largest grower of coffee. It was duly stated in wiki and so I was reassured that the system ‘worked’. (I since removed the claim !).
Nowadays however I am convinced that there are massive teams of dissinformers (MI5, CIA, Mossad etc) including the major coorporations like Monsanto and Walmart who are constantly monitoring and modifying its content. I have not looked, but feel sure that wiki does not presently say very much about the recent slaughter of Palestinian’s in Gaza.

In the Wikipedia disclaimer… it advises that the content is only as good as the people who post it and the people who correct/alter it…:zipper_mouth_face:

We’re alerady chewing this over… Peter…

When I was a child in the 1930s and 1940s I reckon there were about 37 cases of measles in the three streets that made up our neighbourhood every year. Despite the war and severe rationing children were generally fit and healthy with robust immune systems, developed through the very high prevalence of breast-feeding, exposure to everyday dirt in the outdoors environment, and no exposure at all to the so-called germ-killing cocktails of sanitary products found in modern homes.

I know I come across as a crusty old fart sometimes, but I think there’s more than a grain of truth in my claim that the modern obsession with with “germ-free” living has a lot to answer for in increasing susceptibility to infections, and perhaps even cancer too.

2 Likes

I tend to agree, a bit of dirt… was part of life, playing in the streets or wherever…
and fruit and veg… came from the garden…no chemicals… just chicken manure…

2 Likes

Can go along with a lot of that, i.e. our World is too sterile, re ‘minor’ illnesses Pete.
Re cancer, no one mentioned it when I was a kid, people, ‘went into a decline’, never heard the word ‘cancer’.
‘A decline’, not heard that now, for donkeys years, I suspect, they were often refering to cancer, whether they knew it or not. :thinking:

As a kid about 9yr… I recall hearing about gangrene… a lady down the road, got a bad finger, lost it, then her hand went “mouldy” (?)… thankfully, we moved away before anything else… no idea what happened to her, but it was horrific to us kids… Mum would say “that’s what comes from biting your nails”… and we would shudder and sit on our hands…

2 Likes

By Gum, no messing with Your Mam Stella! :open_mouth:

Words I grew up with, and which had sinister overtones were croup (bronchitis) quinsey (septic tonsillitis) lock-jaw (tetanus), dropsy (oedema associated with heart-failure and chronic kidney disease) St Vitus dance (scarlet fever with neurological complications - my cousin developed that), apoplexy (stroke or CVA), and consumption (tuberculosis). The pox and clap were in a category of their own (syphilis and gonorrhoea) as unmentionable ‘venereal diseases’. AgE 11 I heard about infantile paralysis, as there was an epidemic in the late 1940s. A schoolfriend developed it, and was put in an Iron Lung, but died soon afterwards.

The only ‘proper’ non-vernacular medical words I recall from childhood were diphtheria and ‘sugar diabetes’ which my mother told me I would contract from eating sugar. It frightened me to death, but my mother eventually saw that I was terrified and had the sense to retract her warning.

1 Like

Heard all that lot Pete, did folks nivver use, " In a decline", in thy neck o’ t’ woods then Marra? :slightly_smiling_face:

Can’t say I did, Bill marra. But these old sayings have great weight with us still, although they are mainly forgotten now. I recall that some folk used to talk in hushed tones about Missus D having a “growth”, which was the term most doctors in hospital used when telling patients their diagnosis, which - in the 1950s - they rarely volunteered, and most patients didn’t ask for.

Not a very cheerful discussion, but historical perspectives are usdful sometimes in making sense of the present. You Bill Morgan (and @Stella, @vero and @Helen6) are particularly lively and vivid historians, in my slender book! :open_book::grinning::+1: Pete

Ah, the ‘growth’, closely associated, with ‘declines’ in Whitehaven Marra, when I were just a lad, Arrrh! :thinking:

Image may contain: text

2 Likes

The last bit is certainly true - the documented practice of variolation to protect against smallpox dates back as far as the middle ages in China, and was presumably being carried out before that.

Not sure about the cleansing action of moonlight though :slight_smile:

2 Likes