How wrong can you be?

I bought a double batch of Cheddar yesterday, just in case I can’t get it in 2 weeks!

1 Like

Remember seeing Wyke farm MD at the time of trade deal saying how important one was as EU was their biggest export market so they needed one.
That would suggest they will continue…it will be smaller artisan suppliers who won’t bother.

Yes I did! I knew that the attention to tariffs was masking the huge costs and problems which would arise relating to documentation. Furthermore it was not rocket science to realise the hauliers would boycott the UK. I did not foresee the Vetinary requirement. That’s a real gem. Better start digging for England again folks.

if they dig any more, the whole island will sink :grin:

1 Like

I continue to be happy with Cantal instead of Cheddar, not exactly the same I know but an acceptable substitute. But Creme Anglaise simply does not cut it compared to Bird’s Custard powder.

I have tried to make CA thicker by using half the milk but it simply doesn’t work, it stays stubbornly thin and doesn’t firm up, or form skin, when refrigerated.

To be fair this has nothing to do with Brexit round here, I never could get Bird’s, but I have come to the end of my last tin, :frowning_face:

I spotted some the other day in the big L’Clerc (sorry can’t spell that word EVER!!!) at Trellisac (Perigueux) so I imagine it is findable other palces (for the moment!).

My grandmother used to make her own custard from eggs and (I think) cornflour, milk and sugar, I’m guessing Birds is just a dried combination of all that.

1 Like

Without the cornflour, that’s creme anglaise, Tory :smiley:
It’ might be a good idea to try making your own though @David_Spardo as Birds is effectively a thick white sauce with flavouring as far as I can see! Pity I didn’t know of your liking for it before I threw away the stuff when emptying my UK house …

Actually - I’ve just remembered - I think our SuperU stocks Birds on its “British Products” shelves. I shall check tomorrow and let you now…

we have a brilliant newish Shop in Lannion (22) called Grande Frais, a growing chain selling amongst other things an extremely wide selection of products from around the world uncluding unusual vegs and cheeses from many countries, at the moment they have excelent Stilton and artisan Red Leicester.
French supermarkets have good quality products but often they can be a bit boring and unadventurous in stocking products from around the globe…and don’t read to mean a coded message of expecting an English isle

RTE says the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier has said it would be “wise” for the UK to find a solution to the dispute over the UK refusing to grant the EU’s ambassador in London full diplomatic status. I guess the ambassador is the official channel between the UK and the EU. Johnson can’t just ring up Von der Leyen any more.

You need to concentrate first time you make it so don’t end up with scrambled eggs. But once you know how it is really no more complicated that Birds custard powder…

I/2 litre of full milk or thin cream.

Put most of it into a pan and heat to just on boiling point.

Meanwhile put 2 teaspoon of cornflour in a jug, add and mix in last dribble of milk, then 3 or 4 egg yolks (depends how thick you like your custard) about 25-30 gram sugar (depends how sweet you like it) and vanilla flavour. Or use a sachet of vanilla sugar in place of some of the sugar - usually can get in packs of 5 by the baking accessories section.

Once milk is just at boiling point, pour into jug while whisking. Pour it all back into pan and bring back to boiling point while continuing to whisk. It will then thicken up and you stop when you get to the thickness you like.

More expensive of course as need to buy eggs, but worth it! I swear once you’ve got the hang of this it take no longer to make than Birds!

3 Likes

Perhaps a niche issue but so little french cheese is suitable for vegetarians I have always relied on whichever one brand of mass produced cheddar supermarkets tend to stock knowing that the UK main brands all are suitable. Even if french cheese is, it’s rarely labelled as such so it makes finding it without having to do much research online beforehand. I’d love to be able to just go pick some of the incredible array of french cheese off the shelf but alas I doubt that will be possible any time soon. :sob:

Thanks for all the advice, especially that Jane. Next time I go shopping (Tuesday) I’ll buy a litre of full milk (we only use the thin stuff), cornflour and some vanilla, we always have eggs in.
The only downside I can see is that the Bird’s lasts for years whereas the milk does not, so it would be difficult to make it on a whim.
As far as giant supermarkets I am unfamiliar with goes, that is definitely out. There is only one thing I hate more than supermarkets and that is supermarkets that I don’t know. I am driving through Perigueux tomorrow but the thought of searching for half an hour within an unknown maze is a definite thumbs down from me. But thanks for the thought nevertheless. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Forget giant supermarkets - I hate them too but our little local SuperU has a Brit section…

1 Like

I thought GF had shops nationwide? I have been using GF for over a decade :thinking:

2 Likes

That does sound easy thanks Jane, and would have been far nicer than the c

Honestly I don’t blame you, I tend to go once a year to take my small person to see the Christmas decorations and then perhaps once or twice at other times. it is crazy huge (although the custartd was at the end of an aisle right by the chech out).

I think he meant new to his town, not ‘new supermarket’.

You don’t have to get fresh milk. You can get 1/2 litres of milk that is long life so can sit in a cupboard for 6 months. In fact most french milk is that!

never touch that stuff…
reminds me too much of ⅓ bottles in crates warming by the radiators at primary school :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

It’s fine if you cook with it. In fact I can’t tell the difference since the flavour is somewhat cooked anyway. Can’t stand it in tea though!

Lidls organic (Bio) is really really good, seriously can’t tell between it and fresh and infact sometimes when I do get the fresh stuff it tastes a bit funny to me now (I think depending on what cows / what they’ve eaten)! Worth a try as it is organic and less expensive than fresh too.