Jo Johnson resigns - Is this the beginning of the end for Brexit?

Just read it’s being called off as confidence vote triggered…

Where was that reported?

No, it just seems that she’s doing a “This is the best deal, I will see it through” speech.

It wasn’t called off…I just watched it on The Guardian’s live stream…she’s seeing it through and we will be leaving the European Union on 29th March…was the gist of it…

There is nothing about retaining freedom of movement for those who already have it.
This will break up families and I find it hypocritical that Trump can be criticised for doing that to illegal migrants when the same will be done to those who came to live in their countries perfectly legally.

Iain Watson on the Guardians site…he then changed his mind.

I don’t think that has ever been on offer though has it?

The deal has always been that, at best, if you have exercised your FOM rights and settled in an EU country you would be allowed to stay on but any move to another EU country would be as if you had moved there direct from the UK (unless you take citizenship of an EU nation).

I thought that you had freedom of movement to live within the Schengen zone.
At the moment I do belong to an EU country.

I couldn’t agree more.

The impact on research will be dreadful.

Science will be affected by the lack of movement, the sharing of information and access to funding.

There are an English couple who have moved here from Italy and another guy is posting about moving from Italy to France.

His concerns seem to be with money, not getting permission to move.

Today, yes.

I’ve read through the relevant sections of the withdrawal agreement (briefly, it’s a bit long for detailed study) and Post Brexit you will only have the right to live in your “Host State”.

That does not mean that you could not move to another EU state, if you meet the requirements for residence in that state as applied to non-EU nationals.

There is an “EC permanent residence permit” and “EU blue card” (work/residence permit for highly skilled workers) but I’m not actually sure how much “free movement” these get non-EU citizens.

Yes, but these moves are being made before we leave the EU, so FoM applies.

That is exactly what I thought.
I am losing the right to move within the Schengen zone to go and live with my daughter.
I was hoping that Guy Verhofstadt’s scheme for a green card for all citizens already resident in EU countries guaranteeing all the rights we now have woukd be included.
We have been sold down the river.

To an extent, yes. Especially if you had been out of the UK long enough not to have been able to vote on the matter.

But that is what the Great British Public voted for - to end freedom of movement. I am sure a good few thought only of movement into the UK, and did not give a thought to the numbers of UK citizens living and working in Europe and how the loss of FoM would affect them.

From your previous comments I assume that you voted or would have voted Remain but for any who live in the EU who voted Leave and are now finding that their rights to move around the Schengen area will be curtailed I have no sympathy.

The BBC are reporting that he has turned down Brexit Sec because May has told him (well, the EU have said it is not possible) that he cannot re-negotiate the deal.

Time will tell whether he will stand behind May despite his feelings for the deal or make a principled stand and resign.

Given the latter would probably end May’s premiership - which is not in the interests of the Tories at the moment - it is possible he could elect to stay.

We’ll see. :thinking:

It seems that, for the moment, the no-confidence vote is a damp squib.

Talk on the BBC this morning of just 17 letters.

I think JRM might be a spent force,

Still some reports that enough letters are in. Of course, even if it happens TM could still have enough support to remain as PM.

Even the Daily Mail seems to have turned.

Oh how things change.

It’s complex because Brady (the 1922 committee chairman) was sitting on some older ones and he (I believe) has asked anyone who sent a letter previously to re-confirm whether they still lack confidence in the PM.

At present the number confirmed is 21.

Given that there hasn’t been an avalanche, it is less clear whether there will be a vote. Let’s see if enough trickle in to trigger a vote.

Note that striking too early, if they really think there is a better PM waiting in the wings, is counter-productive because, if May survives a vote now, another cannot be called for 12 months.

1 Like

I’ve been out for three hours and…nothing’s really happened. Walking on the beach was a lot more pleasant than reading about political upheaval though…

1 Like