Met criticised over Clapham vigil policing

Scores of officers on the frontline despite having committed or been accused of sexual assault, domestic abuse or racism.

“Hundreds of racist, women-hating and corrupt officers have been left in the ranks.”

1 Like

So Cressida’s gone. Met Commissioner must be the second most poisoned chalice this month after Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Short of a full purge from the top down, I can’t see how the Met can be made fit for purpose again.

1 Like

Again? Was it ever actually fit for purpose?

Yes - I know from experience an organisational culture is very hard to change. The problem is that once it gets embedded it promotes people that fit in - that for example are happy with racist/sexist/etc ‘banter’, and indeed establish their own ‘credentials’ as ‘one of the lads’ by perpetuating it. Then when they are sufficiently into the system, they appoint/promote others with the same outlook - a few of whom (and only relatively few, of course) slip from banter to behaviour.

1 Like

Back when Sir Robert Peel ran it.

I think it goes back to when Ian Blair was appointed Commissioner - not a real copper but a fast track career moron :roll_eyes:

1 Like

What “violent scenes” I can’t find any

The ‘anon’ users are no longer site members Jo, so can’t answer - but yours is a good question !

1 Like

Resurrecting an old thread - but pertinent to the subject.

Oh look, another case of a rotten officer in the Met, how surprising.

1 Like

what I find surprising (amongst other things) is again, like the other Met officer Couzens in the same unit, the officer in this case also had a somewhat derogatory nickname, widely known, but senior officers did little or nothing to dig deeper as to why he was called “bastard Dave”. Indeed, what pathetic “investigations” they did do only served to exonerate him and encourage him to continue his sad existence.
Couple that with the pathetic response by the Met to properly investigate the Downing Street parties (again the same MPS unit) and you can see why the London Mayor saw Commissioner Dick as not fit for purpose along with the whole of the operation.
The MPS should have be dismantled years ago. The most organised legal criminal gang in the UK (apart from HMG, of course)
:rage:

Surprising, it beggars belief.
Misogynists the lot of them.

2 Likes

This is just the place if folks want to continue the discussion - I linked news of Carrick’s arrest here - among other police officers - over a year ago (Met criticised over Clapham vigil policing - #281 by Geof_Cox) - and I think the first woman to come forward in this case was inspired by the Everard affair.

The point is they’re not unrelated - not just a case of several bad apples - but part of a pattern of institutional failure - in recruitment, in training, in complaints and investigations, in organisational culture.

3 Likes

Around 800 officers currently under investigation. Systemic corruption.

1 Like

but why is is taking nearly a month to sentence this person?
Just bang the bastard (his colleagues name for him, not mine) up and throw away the key…

Pre-sentence reports, I imagine.

Wouldn’t want there to be grounds for appeal.

1 Like

I think that the real reason this has been allowed to gain go on for so long is that no one has spoken out against him and others like him.
If he really was called the bastard, why did no one speak out?
Could it be that an investigation could uncover their own misogyny?

From what I can gather, people at a lower level were speaking out against him, somewhere up the line it was being cuffed

1 Like

IIRC he pled guilty to all charges bar one which was not pursued so the only grounds for appeal would be against sentence.