New 1st July postal charges and processes

Very very variable and unpredictable, some months arrive within seven working days, then next month same mag takes 20!

That’s what I’d found too. My elderly friend bought me a subscription to a magazine that invariably arrives after she has received the one for the following month. I’m not heartbroken as I don’t actually like it but it was so kind of her to think of me…

as in a Van Der Moewer belt? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course :crazy_face: :rofl:

:tophat: :tophat: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I sent an e-mail to our daughter in UK telling her of the charges that are now being levied on things from outside the EU and asking her not to send any more packages.
Too late, as I now hear she has sent me a book for my birthday.

You may be lucky, Jane :crossed_fingers:

Surely they can’t make people pay for gifts, it is just insanity :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Oh and books are flat so if it came large letter like my mower belt you may be OK!

In the bad old days I think customs charges applied to anything, but I’m not absolutely sure. I think my parents, or perhaps it was my aunt, paid something like that when she sent us presents from the US…

I hope anyone sending me a present… pays whatever is necessary… otherwise…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na9yrZ9bTZ8

1 Like

My goodness, Stella, I haven’t heard that one in donkeys’ years! He had such a wonderful voice - completely wasted on that song of course :rofl:

2 Likes

And those hips!

Anything coming into the EU without exception (other than a letter,…strictly enforced) …is subject to TVA, (previously there was a floor limit of about €22?) and customer duty, if applicable, and sorry, no exceptions are made for presents. The killer is the handling charge levied by carrier to undertake the collection of such taxes…varies from a flat charge of €6 upwards. However regular commercial dispatchers…eg e-commerce operators can register on IOSS, a pan EU customs system that allows a sender to account directly to the relevant State for TVA and duties…in future this amount will be added at the “basket stage”, this automated system should avoid the recipient being charged significant handling fees.

However private senders cannot use this so their receipients will have no option but to pay fees…thus a scarf costing say £17 (and questionable how easy it will be to buy vat free from an ordinary UK high street retailer) with a €20 equivalent will have TVA added of say €4, (hopefully no customs fee "cos of vaunted trade deal), but a (LaPoste) handling fee of a min of €6…plus of course the original postage cost. So you might end up paying “VAT” twice and costs …makes as small present expensive from UK…
or at least this is what a small trader told me when I asked for an outline of how the new regime post 1st July might work out in practice!!
Time will tell, it might be different in practice once it all beds down, all we can do is hope.

Just received a mag, normal delivery timescale and no different to previous months…but it was posted in UK in late June.

I’ve just received one too - no different from previously.

Pretty sure magazines count as “printed matter” so probably no more onerous in this respect than letters.

Not what a major UK distributor told me…as magazines are a commercial product…“sold over the counter” with a value they are subject to tax etc. Sure maybe one put in a brown envelope privately might sneak through but not ones in poly bags !

naughty naughty mags in brown envelopes? whatever next :rofl:

Anyone heard anything yet about 2nd hand stuff from ebay? My MIL still has a big box for us!

Rather than explain it again @toryroo is there a post further up with more details? On face value I’m not sure that any part (2nd hand, eBay or from family) makes any difference, she’d have to do a standard customs label and they’d probably have VAT and depending on the tariff code used perhaps import charges. If you’ve owned them 6 months you could perhaps say you were moving with them but you’d have to have been UK resident I think so that wouldn’t work. Clearly this is entirely guesswork based on the little information we have so for goodness sake don’t think I know what I’m talking about (ever :see_no_evil:) but I’m not sure from what we know they’d be treated any different. I guess your only saving grace could be that she’d presumably use current value as they’re 2nd hand so if she valued your slow cooker at a fiver on the documentation the tax due would be minimal, if it was a Sage or Ninja and looked brand new that might be a little more difficult though :joy:

1 Like