New declaration required for property owners

This is the message title and I could not find a link to a form to fill in but saw the information that they have regarding the house and it is all correct. I looked for somewhere via the link to confirm this but could not find one anywhere. This is why I thought it is only people who have made changes or bought anew who had to declare anything.

Propriétaires : mise en place d’une nouvelle obligation déclarative

BTW @graham I was able to read the link after refusing cookies.

My new house is not subject to TF for two years and I certainly don’t pay any TH. It says if you bought your property recently you don’t have to do anything. I also do not have an online fisc account as I prefer the paper declaration.

You don’t have to declare anything, but if all is correct you have to confirm before June or €150 fine.

What was the official communication you received? I’ve not had anything but just popped on to my impôts site, clicked on the biens immoblier tab amd then clicked ro confirm all was ok.

I received an email from the impôt gov concerning the new declaration

Like @Wozza , just an email saying that there were changes and with a link to the gouv site, but no where that I could see to declare or confirm anything.

IS this form asking specific detailed information, in asking the question on having property in France. ?

Why i ask this, is due to the fact I have never used my house in france as a holiday home and it has been empty for several years, but I intend on moving over there permenantly in 2024 and so it will then be my primary home.
It does worry me that it could all become muddled and be seen as a second home, once I am actually living in it, instead of it being my main and only residence.
Being slightly cynical about it, I don’t suppose the questions on the form are to make it easy as such, but provide extra income to the powers that be.
Never used to worry about stuff like this, but have not been in the French way of doing things for such a long time, and this year is such a busy getting things organised for the big move, so want to make sure things I do will not create problems for me down the line.
Or is this being far too optimistic… lol
sorry waffled on abit there…

You’ll have to declare it as a maison secondaire to start with because it belongs to you and isn’t, at the moment, your primary residence. There is provision for changing from a secondary to primary later and there are specific examples of that. This is primarily to make sure you are paying the right taxes depending on use and of course that can change a lot over time.

2 Likes

There are no questions as such, just information to confirm - or provide if it is not correct.

If your house is vacant you declare it as such. But be aware that if connected to electricity and water, and habitable you may have to pay either a vacant homes tax or taxe d’habitation. What do yo7 pay at present?

From Frances’s perspective if it is a habitable building then the fact that you chose not to use it is not their problem, so taxes apply.

But you can swap from secondary to principal quite easily.

Thank you…
There are so many drastic changes going on over this last few years and I dreaded finding a change that created even more problems.

All amenities were disconnected when I left. Although for some reason they still charge me a standard water charge. But the house is not habitable as such. You can’t just walk in and live there without it needing gutted out and fully kitted out with things like a bed, fridge, etc etc
I do not pay nabitation tax, only Tax foncier each year and for some reason a small standard water charge.
The house will be in some state having not been lived in, looked after, etc for more than ten year.
I will have my work cut out for me, but will be glad to just get back there and can worry about the living surroundings as I go.

Its very reassuring that it sounds easy to swap from secondary to primary quite easily.
Thank you for that info.

10 years of spiders’ webs, ladybirds, and other insects! That will be fun! Hope not too many wasps nests “tho!

1 Like

You may have already sorted this out, but if not….

When you open up ‘impots. gouv.fr’, click on ‘Votre espace particulier’ and log in to your account, then click on ‘Biens immobiliers’ in the menu, and you will see below, the property or properties you own. You will see in the blue boxes, as in the photo below, the words ‘Déclaration d’occupation’. If there have been no changes, click on that box, then click on ‘Aucun changement’. Then click on ‘Valider et transmettre’.

If you don’t by end of June 2023 you will be fined.

2 Likes

No I haven’t yet, from memory I got as far as the property I own but didn’t spot what to do after.
I’ll go back and try again. Thanks. :smiley:

Edit: Got through the declaration but then it asked me to confirm that the start date of occupation was 1st January 2022.

This is clearly incorrect but I am nervous about saying there has been a change, because there hasn’t been. The date of 1st occupation as principle residence was September 1999.

Up to you, David, but I would change the date. They’ve got the dates completely wrong for us too as it says the property was our primary residence from 2013 whereas it was a secondary from 1992 to 2016 and primary after that. I’m building up to making the necessary changes!

would that actually matter too much since the default position now is that it is indeed your primary residence and the historical situation is of no effect to you?
I guess you could just note it as a side issue in the Messagerie sécurisée if you are concerned about being accused of not providing timely accurate information but I think that refers to not advising of a change which would affect the tax position.

My house was also recorded as 01 jan 2022, although I had been in the house over a year prior to that date, I presumed that the date given was the start of the relevant tax year as it is a new scheme and prior to that would be irrelevant, otherwise they would be retro back taxing you on new legislation. I am probably wrong in my summations,but it seems feasible to me.

This is true but I’m concerned that, if it’s incorrect, it might come back and bite me later when I apply for naturalisation and they do a lot of checking up on me!

I’m probably being over cautious…

hence the suggestion of using the messagerie but if it doesn’t appear difficult or too onerous to do, then just do it for peace of mind :wink:

1 Like

Well I signalled a change but they seem to be more interested in any change of occupiers, there doesn’t seem to be any way to change the dates, so having decided again to choose no change, the site crashed.

I’ll go through it all later but am severely hampered by our internet connection being very unreliable at the moment. I think there is a problem with the Livebox.

probs whether related - whether it works or not depends on whether it should be redesignated as a Deadbox or not :wink: