New Passport

Another prodigal! Now an eight year old running a household! I expect paying the rent, feeding the family, exchange rates and applying for passports etc? was stroll in the park for such an incredible eight year old! And even some lucid memories from being a four year old!

I really am retarded by comparison and put to shame that I wasn’t out advising investors and such like by the age of six or something!

I await the next post when someone says they were training to be an astronaut at the age of two at NASA with memories (lucid or otherwise) of when they were an embryo!!!

Stella,
The French Government can, presumably, change the law?

Kenneth…

If you really consider that the French Govt would repeal the 10 year Law… and any others… then I do understand your anxiety and your query about being allowed to stay (even after 20 years).

However, as the 10 year Law… covers every foreigner living in France territory… I rather suspect the Government would have a major fight on their hands as such a step goes against everything that France stands for.

As you will be aware… France takes civil rights and liberties very seriously… any changes would not be retrospective, in any case…:relaxed:

The French Government can change the law, can they not?

That is perhaps something you could discuss at a higher level… if you decide to take steps to become Resident… or even Citizen… :thinking:

Stella,
I posted that the French Government could change the law, and they could. I don’t believe that will happen but not for the reasons you give. My reasoning is that the E.U. will not seek to throw anyone out of any country. primarily because there are many more ‘europeans’ living and working in the U.K. As for taking civil rights and liberties very seriously they are, only as long as those rights and liberties are ‘convenient’! Ask a Muslim women what she thinks about her right to veil her face after France changed the law? Another argument, I know but it illustrates that the law can be enacted on any issue.

Perhaps learning the difference between prodigal and prodigy may be useful

1 Like

Perhaps Kenneth not offering sarcastic, offensive posts when people are recounting their own memories and experiences would also be useful?

4 Likes

It would indeed, thank you.

Sorry, but people posting to me in a veiled way doesn’t mean I can’t reply in a more honest and open way. It may not be completely appreciated but it isn’t ‘snide’!

You are entitled to you opinions of the French Government… others may or may not agree…

However, feeling as you do… I am surprised that you have not already applied for Citizenship… which would have given you the right to vote in several French Govt elections … :thinking:

1 Like

I took an interest in the trip. My parents didn’t ‘confide’ in me but as a family we talked and we were encouraged to ask questions. Driving overland to Greece was a long way, over 5000 miles that summer holiday in our Alfa Romeo, Guilia Super, registration number HWV 933E, we had plenty of time to talk about the trip and why go on holidays if you don’t learn from them? I remember a lot about it because it was a great experience. My own daughter brought a smile to my face when we were traveling home from Portugal years ago. She was just five and answered her three year old brother’s question, ‘When we cross the border will we be in Germany?’
‘No,’ she replied, ‘we are in Spain, when we cross the border we will be in France. We will probably be in France for a few days before we get to Belgium then we will go through a little bit of Holland before getting to Germany.’ Don’t underestimate children or their ability to remember.

4 Likes

Oh dear, oh dear!

Ha ha ha Kenneth… I am beginning to wonder if you have little better to do… than argue with everything that folk say… :roll_eyes::wink::wink::zipper_mouth_face:

anyway, I have a delivery of wood to shift… so I’ll leave you to it… :grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

… funny you should mention NASA… 'cos my brother… ah well, you won’t believe me if I tell you… :wink:

1 Like

I was going to recount a vivid memory I have in fine detail from when I was 3 years old but don’t want to be on the end of a facetious and sarcastic response.

We are a friendly forum and unpleasantness doesn’t go down well here.

3 Likes

Stella,
If you could explain ‘feeling as I do’ I could probably give a clear answer. I don’t think I have expressed a strong view about living in France but I am willing to stand corrected!!

On the one point you raise: Citizenship. My personal view is that as a foreigner I don’t feel I should have a say in running the country. Yes, I know, as a citizen I wouldn’t be a ‘foreigner’. However being a citizen doesn’t change my cultural background or views on many subjects which, of course, is British.
In my conversations with people here it is quite obvious there is a big devide between British behavior and French behavior; for some that might be difficult to understand and so to try and put some perspective on it: Simple driving standards! Road rage is quite common in the U.K. Using indicators is also common in the U.K. Here both are quite rare!! The whole culturalthjing goes across the spectrum of ordinary life.

That is why I haven’t taken citizenship, I could never be a Frenchman!

Do be careful won’t you?

Indeed Mandy, So why be unpleasant?

Try me, others expect me to believe their tales!