Once an actress......always an actress

Just to bring humour though no doubt I will incur the wrath of some…

5 Likes

Neither wrath nor belly-laugh Damian - but you will be aware, of course, that ‘the actress said to the bishop’ jokes draw on precisely the sexist archetypes first noted in this thread by @SuePJ - the long historical association of actresses with prostitutes - women (especially if they are young and independent-minded) seen in black and white (!) as either whores or virgins, evil queen or fairy-tale princess.

4 Likes

I do indeed recognize that fact Geof hence the words I chose to introduce the photo.
As far as I am concerned it is important to maintain a sense of humour. Whether or not I either like or respect this person has no bearing on the photo. As far as I am concerned if you aggressively seek publicity you have to be prepared. I make no apologies.

1 Like

No personal criticism intended - I was merely pointing out the cultural baggage.
But it is interesting how these same age-old sexist and racist tropes keep emerging in the media (including social media) views of Meghan - and particularly interesting that they are indeed focused on Meghan, not Harry (and indeed to justify this they need to reduce Harry to another cultural cliché: the hen-pecked husband).

It all tends to confirm my post before your joke, doesn’t it? It’s not about the real woman - who as Catharine says we don’t know - it’s about wider cultural outlooks and attitudes.

3 Likes

It’s a pity that “being an actress” can get you marked down as a liar, not to be trusted, offensive, playing a part. Any person could be all of those things, but the general public wouldn’t hate or like them, because they wouldn’t get the opportunity to form a view or report it on social media.

Do you think you might have liked Hitler, or Pinochet, or Pol Pot? Surely you can’t subtract their political and social views from their overall personality?

What do you think Meghan and Harry’s ‘political and social views’ are Ronald?

1 Like

[quote=“cat, post:299, topic:34081”]
.Being an actress is un related to being a lair or being untrustworthy
The facts stand before us in the case of Meghan but she trys very well to act her way through all the story lines.
People who do this do not appeal to me…

Good point Plod,we have instincts.

We develope our ideas and philosophies as we go through life but one maxim I have learnt to hold true is to always trust my instincts and first impressions.

1 Like

It would be a guess, but the people I quoted had political views which led to actions which I could determine were not pleasant.

Life experience has taught me not to go with first impressions of people Damian as they’re invariably wrong.

2 Likes

What ‘facts’?

I am sure that have been watching and listening

Obviously one would be a bit daft and blinkered not to be open to changing ones views but we shall have to disagree on this one Tim as I do heed my instincts and first impressions and often regret it if I do not.

Goodness what a fuss about nothing. In my mid seventies I care about the Royal Family as much as I did in my teens. They are an irrelevance. Whatever they get up to means nothing, nada, zilch and by the way actresses only exist these days in the red tops. Male or female they are all actors now.

5 Likes

Try telling that to the Oscar, Emmy and BAFTA committees. :wink:

Well of course David.
We have feelings about whatever we have feelings about and we talk together about whatever takes our fancy. No one is right and no one is wrong and the Royal family as such are of little interest to me but the scandal of the late has been echoed across the world and like anything else is a topic of conversation.
Life goes on past all personal dramas specially for those of us who await their last curtain call

I’m kind of with you David in finding it hard to care. I remember when their relationship was announced thinking that they were an odd couple, she’s a confident, stylish, Hollywood lovie and he’s a posh, awkward, slightly troubled Prince. Seemed bizarre at the time but they also seemed very happy together. The slight interest I had in this odd couple kind of faded after the wedding. Neither of them are particularly relevant so it’s hard to care. Why they provoke such extreme reactions is beyond me!
Izzy x

5 Likes

See my post above Irene - it has nothing to do with them personally - it’s about what they represent to different cultural and political perspectives…

Those inclined to believe Meghan and Harry and those inclined the other way would split pretty neatly in line with how ‘royalist’ they were before the couple spoke out.

1 Like

Suppose when you look at it…if you look at it those two who declared the desire to be independant of royal ties and free from press invasion. However we see something different with the TV interview and the hungry search for ways to earn the millions.
The whole situation is unattractive to me.

1 Like