Once an actress......always an actress

Well I never bought into Diana either.

It took years for me to get bored with the Brexit debate, but I’d had enough of this by the time I’d finished breakfast. Who cares?

3 Likes

The royals are pretty racist. When was that in doubt? They supported Hitler until the UK declared war on Germany, for goodness sake - there are photos of them (including the Queen) giving Nazi salutes - and some of the them continued to openly do so even during the war.

Some of the things Prince Philip has been documented saying:

• “You are a woman, aren’t you?” (in Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman).
  • “If you stay here much longer you’ll all be slitty-eyed” (to a group of British students during a royal visit to China).
  • “You can’t have been here that long, you haven’t got pot belly” (to a Briton he met in Hungary).
  • “Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?” (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands).
  • “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test” (to a Scottish driving instructor).
  • “It looks as if it was put in by an Indian” (referring to an old-fashioned fuse box in a factory near Edinburgh).
  • “Still throwing spears?” (question put to an Aboriginal Australian during a visit).
  • “There’s a lot of your family in tonight” (after looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians).
  • “The Philippines must be half-empty as you’re all here running the NHS” (on meeting a Filipino nurse at Luton and Dunstable Hospital).

Whatever you think about the current furore, lets not pretend that there isn’t a long history of prejudice and insensitivity in the royal family - whatever actually happened to Meghan, it was always obvious that a mixed-race woman was going to have a pretty hard time in that context.

2 Likes

I’m relatively agnostic as far as the Royals go but it was noticable that a certain part of the UK press “had it in” for Meghan.

I do, however, think that the constitutional monarchy should be abolished along with HoL reform, but I know it is a pipe dream and unlikely to ever happen.

1 Like

not whilst they’re all breeding like rabbits :slightly_smiling_face:

Heir and spare, as they say.

I think all inherited titles and positions are probably, on balance, disutilities - but there are a hell of a lot of things that it’s more urgent to address.
What bothers me more is the tendency to disregard reality in the desire to - ha ha - ‘whitewash’ the royal family.

I’m just so glad the having beaten Covid, cured cancer, fed the hungry and brought all wars to a peaceful conclusion, the viewers of the World can now turn their attention to two rich extremely privileged people who feel a bit miffed with their rich, extremely privileged family.

4 Likes

oh yes

i have no sympathy for a couple who call their child Archie

2 Likes

Better than ´ Basil ´…

Your both multi millionaires with a growing family and a new life of total ease in a country of your own choosing, stop whining and get on with your lives, most people would love to be in that situation :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:.
You both supposedly want a life away from the press and intrusion, but at every opportunity you want to be in the limelight, privileged, attention seeking spoilt brats with a chip on their shoulders, nothing worse.
Get on with your lives and if you really want a quiet life away from the limelight, stop courting the very medium you purport to hate all the time.

4 Likes

You see how life goes and appreciate that being so important can be a huge problem. How can any normal person put themselves and family through such a huge humiliation and have any respect for themselves
So this is the monarchy

I feel a joke hitting these pages coming via the Charente

As a child I watched various tv programmes that can’t be shown today because values have changed, does the mere fact that I watched them make me racist?

1 Like

why can they not be shown today
Have we all become morally stylistic

or does the truth cause pain…yes it does some times

I have Mussolini’s Autobiography and Marx’s Capital on my bookshelves here now.
Does that make me fascist, or marxist?

But seriously, I was interested to see that David Olusoga - one of the UK’s most respected historians - was moved to write about the current royal debacle…

1 Like

If you choose to say ‘the royals are racist’ and use the actions of a seven years old as proof then what other conclusion can I come to Geof? :wink:

1 Like

But where is the evidence for the contrary?
There’s actually plenty of evidence for racism - not just the photos of Elizabeth.
What about the Marburg files, suppressed by the UK government for years? The completely separate Nazi links of Prince Philip’s family - again extending after the war? The ongoing racist remarks of Philip extending over decades - and of other members of the royal family, including the queen - minimised by the UK media as ‘gaffes’ but obviously betraying underlying prejudice? And now the testimony of Meghan?
So which is the reasonable, balanced view here? That Meghan and all of the hundreds of people that have documented similar experiences are lying? Or that, as I said, ‘the royals are pretty racist’?

1 Like