Opening a new window in SF

Yes @james tried that yesterday and just again now but no change.

Hi Graham

Are you any further ahead with this? I canā€™t replicate the issue, nor can the team at Discourse so we reckon it must be local to your browsers.

This is the reply fyi;

Iā€™m afraid I cannot reproduce this. I tested on my Ubuntu 18.04.2 virtual machine with Firefox v68, just like those affected in your topic. I also havenā€™t heard this issue from any other customers. Without being able to reproduce it, and no other reports, at this time Iā€™m going to have to say this is a user-issue, not Discourse. Iā€™ll certainly let you know if we start hearing other reports, and do please update us if you hear this from more than the 2 users currently experiencing the issue.

Hi James
Thanks for sharing the report from Discourse.
No further on Iā€™m afraid. Itā€™s quite bizarre.
On my wifeā€™s pc also Ubuntu 18.04.2 with FF v68 it works fine but the problem continues with mine.
I checked on plug-ins (there were 2 related to videos):

and as you can see I have disabled both.
Iā€™ve cleared the FF cache and also tried it deleting in succession the entry in LastPass and the saved psw in FF to no effect. I also tried the two methods of login I have - by username Graham_Lees and with my email address. No change their either.
SF just doesnā€™t seem to remember who I am; if I relaunch SF in another tab - even if Iā€™m logged in successfully in a different tab - SF requires me to enter my login details. Even though I have set LastPass to log me in automatically, it fails to do so and whilst the fields are pre-loaded with my account info I have to press login to confirm.

Iā€™ve now run out of ideas.
This is only happening with SF; I login to Stack Exchange Ā«Ask UbuntuĀ» frequently during the day (as I do other Stack Exchange sites) and my logins persist without difficulty. I can right click a thread and it opens in a new tab or window as chosen. Other sites which require a login also work correctly so whilst I appreciate Discourse view (I used to test s/w myself professionally in a former life) this one has me beat!
I wish I had a pound for every time my s/w engineers told me ā€œwell it works on my machineā€ when confronted by clients with problems :laughing:

1 Like

Well, itā€™s still affecting me - annoyance rather than anything else.

Itā€™s not Ubuntu specific as Iā€™m on Fedora, my Windows copy of Firefox is fine, the main difference is that doesnā€™t have Adblock Plus, just Ghostery - it is also 68.0.1 whereas the Fedora copy is 68.0

Disabling Ghostery and Adblock on SF doesnā€™t make any difference.

1 Like

but Fedora is still Linuxā€¦ so maybe Linux specific @james ?

1 Like

Maybe, anyone else using Linux that can replicate this?

Sorry I havenā€™t been contributing to this discussion lately - Iā€™m as puzzled as everybody else and have less expertise.
Could the auto update of Firefox to v18 have interfered with your privacy and security settings?

Thanks Geof but I donā€™t recall there having been an update that day on FF and my wifeā€™s version is exactly the same - like yours is - and neither you nor her have a problem.

In my case it seems to be Ghostery - new, blank, profile works until I install Ghostery then stops working when I do; disabling Ghostery on SF is not sufficient to get it working again - but disabling it altogether seems to do the trick. Will investigate further (just not sure when).

Alright - bit weird.

If I go into Ghostery settings and choose the global trackers settings and choose ā€œunblock allā€ then Sf starts to work.

If I then toggle that to ā€œblock allā€ā€¦

SF has continued to work.

Bizarre.

I note Graham uses Ghostery - perhaps he could see if that works for him.

Arrgh - ignore that, but itā€™s definitely Ghostery.

@anon88169868
Hi Paul. I too have a suspicion about Ghostery (but again, itā€™s set for the Stack Exchange sites which work perfectly well) so is there an SF specific issue.
@Geof_Cox are you using Ghostery?
Iā€™m just about to check my wifeā€™s pc to see if I put Ghostery on there. Itā€™s not installed on FF on her machine. However, Ghostery is installed on Chromium on my machine but that works correctly - so some further investigation required there perhaps. Are the settings the same, one wonders.
But, itā€™s perhaps one for @james to pass on to Discourseā€¦
My version of Ghostery is 8.3.4 last updated 10 May 2019

So to update:
I paused Ghostery for 30 minutes and then right clicked on SF and it worked! and then resumed Ghostery and the problem re-occured.
Just to be certain, I paused it again and was able to perform a right click new page and my login persisted.
And just for good measure, I loaded a new tab for SF and password manager/LastPass loaded me into the site without issue.
So deffo Ghostery causing the problem.

1 Like

And to add to your evidence - NO Iā€™m not using Ghosteryā€¦

1 Like

Thanks Geof. Thatā€™s very helpful.

At this point in time, I feel very inclined to remove the extension unless someone can advise alternatively.
Just checked version numbers between FF and Chromium; v8.3.4 (FF) and v8.4.0 in Chromium - so maybe something in that??
Further investigation tomorrow perhaps.

And not getting the problem.

FWIW I emailed Ghostery to report the breakage.

Probably the only option if you canā€™t live with the additional logins, it does not appear to be a specific tracker that is causing problems.

NO Ghostery here and all is working wellā€¦

Ah, une bonne idƩe Paul :smile:

well Ghostery is certainly reacting with SF in some way. Just need to find a solution or remove it altogether (looks for alternatives).

1 Like

OK, workaround - very quick response from Ghostery

Resume Ghostery and blocking all the trackers that you normally block

Click the blue ghost, then bottom left click the shield icon to turn ā€œenhanced anti-trackingā€ off.

1 Like