Opinion: John Bercow is itching to stop Brexit – and he might just succeed

Good grief… didn’t you see the funny side of Peter asking to leave the table … nope, obviously not.

:unamused::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Sorry Stella - l must have left the room - l think you are on the wrong thread - unless we have becone completely MontyPythonesque with a large dose of Pratchett thrown in.:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

Oh, I wish.

Sadly the realist in me says that we will be debating Brexit one way or another for years to come because we will need years to renegotiate all the trade deals and rebuild our place in the world. In fact the current “Brexit lie” is that there can be a “clean break brexit”

4 Likes

As your comment appeared directly after my comments which were in reply to Peter’s about me, I think I made a fair assumption; but I accept assumptions are sometimes wrong and sometimes dangerous. This, and the fact that the reader’s interpretation of another person’s comments can be entirely at odds with the writer’s intended meaning, makes all forums open to ambiguities. I apologise unreservedly for my last comment to you.

1 Like

Very pleased indeed to learn that there’s a lot more grit in your oyster :champagne: than some might have suspected from your original take on our generous assembly, Lee. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And my comment was half good-natured tease (let’s up that to 52%, an overwhelming majority in some estimations): and 48% a mild rebuke for seeming slightly sniffy. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

But your response was nice. :grinning::+1:. Stella has long had the measure of me, she’s the thunder-thighed Serena Williams of on-line moderation, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 gamesetandmatch :tennis::spades::trophy:Stella!

1 Like

Some bedtime reading for you @rolyat

I’ll be back at work tomorrow and the weather isn’t marvellous today so ceci explique cela. Admonishing contributors rather goes with being on the team, although I do try to avoid sarcasm on social media as it is frequently misunderstood.

4 Likes

I’m pleased that you appreciate the out of hours effort that goes in to running the forum, hopefully we’ll be able to keep up throughout the week too.

My comment was in reply to Graham’s comment and, thus, quite in keeping.:rofl:

There is more than one type of post on any forum. This is far more a, share your opinion sort of thread than a, can you help me one. When people start threads asking advice on particular problems they seem to receive plenty of advice and suggestions. In a thread like this one you should expect a few, in your face comments, it’s in the nature of the beast.
I believe that John Bercow has used his position to ensure that parliament is not ignored at this time of national crisis. I know that other people think that he is abusing his power because they would prefer that the new Prime Minister and his far right cronies should be given all the freedoms they need to throw Britain off a cliff. These differences of opinion will cause tension. Anybody posting on a forum like this which has an obvious majority of remain backing members should not expect their contrary views to be accepted quietly. If, however, that same poster was to start a thread asking where the best place to get their unusual car serviced was, or some other everyday question, then the helpful replies would come flooding in.

6 Likes

On my machine it shows clearly what reply relates to what post…
:sparkles:did not appreciate that this was not always so on other machines. Might be a reason why so much misunderstanding (?) is appearing on this thread.

Absolutely right I’ve read posts here which go against the obvious grain. I’m keen to retire to a Southern European country and this site is useful to keep a toe in on what’s happening in France though the 27 are unified so all for one and one for all.

That said Bercow is the unofficial leader of the shadow house, he is perhaps the front man for the remain parties?

Personally I find him; objectionable, partisan and unfit for the role.

Do I expect this view to be popular here? No :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t stand Bercow either, however if he is able to assist in stopping this madness I’ll let him off for being a twat.:grinning:

1 Like

that place seems to be full of supercilious wankers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :face_with_monocle::crazy_face:

Obvious grain? I don’t understand. As you understand that your, to me, strange views will be unpopular here why have you voiced your surprise at the response that you have provoked?
I’m finding my way around the site having followed it for a while without joining in. Finally one particular post, one asking for help and advice encouraged me to actually post something that I hoped was helpful. During my first week or so I misread/misunderstood a couple of posts and was politely asked to reconsider my responses. I think the difficulty is that members who’ve been around for a while know how the familiar posters act and react. As a newcomer I don’t know and understand the subtleties. Hopefully in time my understanding of the others, including you, and the way I respond will be more in keeping with the dinner party ethos. My initial thoughts about you is that you are looking to make waves knowing that your views are contrary to the majority. Nothing wrong with that but you can’t do that and expect to be treated with kid gloves.
I’m hoping that history will show that John Bercow’s stance will have allowed parliament to be properly involved in the outcome of this Brexit fiasco.

3 Likes

Make waves - no. I am not looking to provoke a response, vieux chapeau. I like this site and the people on it. More than anything else I am stronger for reading what folks here say and how they think. Is anyone wholly right? No.

Mrs L - I wanna eat!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I love John Bercow…looks like the next week is gonna be the mother of all showdowns…

I’ve got so much going on on a personal level but Parliament tv is no doubt gonna feature quite strongly in my itinerary…:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

There’s not a lot of parliamentary time next week, but if there are to be fireworks you can be sure Bercow will be the one lighting the touch paper - lets hope that the rest of them make sure it goes with a bang, not a whimper.

5 Likes

Not so long ago I was told in no uncertain terms from one of the posters, that this forum was “their tea party” so which one is correct ? I was also told in no uncertain terms to either “shut up or piss off”. So Lee take your pick.