Opinion: John Bercow is itching to stop Brexit – and he might just succeed

Oo-Er! That’s got me a-shiverin’ and a-quiverin’ at the thought of being asked to roll my trouser leg up by one of SF’s very strict and obedience-thirsty harridans (and harridennises, of course).:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I promise to be a good boy… Ouch!! :roll_eyes:

Please may I leave the table? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’d like to be a thread-police-person if I grow up.

Thanks for your sensible, fair and unemotional response, Dan. Unless kicked out, I must decide if this is the kind of “dinner party” at which I want to be a guest or if I would prefer to spend my conversational time elsewhere.

2 Likes

[quote=“rolyat, post:82, topic:27076, full:true”] Unless kicked out, I must decide if this is the kind of “dinner party” at which I want to be a guest or if I would prefer to spend my conversational time elsewhere.
[/quote]

Don’t go, @rolyat, this forum needs more sober, self-disciplined, restrained, cultivated, discreet, well-spoken, diplomatic, polite, and respectable gentle folk, versed in the arts of mannerly etiquette, chivalry, and social standing, knowledgeable about wine, and preferably acquainted with a good tailor.

I have no doubt you’ll measure up and make the grade! :smiley:

Nearly choked on my cuppa …:rofl:

1 Like

With respect Lee, I can’t see how any Brexit discussion can go ahead without the mention of Boris and Donald as he is potentially intrinsically linked to his whole mess. A no-deal will mean the UK having even closer ties to the United States of America rather than the United States of Europe. This then means that the characters of both leaders are important to the story. Would you buy a second-hand car from either of these clowns ? I bet both would sell their own granny given half the chance !

4 Likes

and if already deceased, dig them up again and again :coffin:

To answer your question obliquely, Peter, I would have bought a second-hand car from JFK who, history tells us, had the same proclivities as the two you’ve mentioned. That was my point to which those two ladies, whose names I forget, took such offence awhile ago. But so many people are both conclusion jumpers and oh so touchy these days. And, as Carl Jung wrote: “Thinking is difficult; that’s why most people judge”.
To answer your question directly, definitely not from Trump and almost definitely not from Johnson.

Nephew aged 4: Nanna’s been buried 3 days now and there’s no sign of her coming back. I’ve got my bucket and spade ready. She needs help!(true story that we still chuckle over )

1 Like

Peter, much to my own surprise, I’m going to treat your comments as sincere and in no way sarcastic. That makes me feel good rather than assuming your remarks were anything other than well-intentioned. So, of the 14 attributes with which you have so generously characterised me, I can reveal with, of course, complete objectivity, that 11 and a half are accurate.

I do not find it in me, Stella, to feel the same grace concerning your brief remark as I did with Peter Goble’s. I guess it’s because your comment is so less subtle. However, I’m glad Peter’s comments brightened up your afternoon and, of course, that your potentially rather unpleasant choking fit did not eventuate.
As an aside, is it usual for members of the Team to spend so much time on a Sunday afternoon admonishing contributors in mostly sarcastic tones or is today simply more boring than others?

1 Like

The same old, same old stuff being rehearsed has, for me, lost it’s impact - Perhaps we should discuss what, if any, arrangements we can make to cope with what, in my opinion, is an inevitable outcome. I admire Paul Flinders tenacity and the exceptional contribution he has made to this debate - he deserves a medal - But, unfortunately, the realist in me is screaming for resolution and a ‘turning of the Brexshit page’.

Boris, without a doubt, will eventually meet his Waterloo as will that C**t Trump - but it won’t be anytime soon - The ignorance in this world of so-called educated voters will drop our democracy to it’s knees before, like a religious revealation, an epiphany if you like, the majority will see the truth that money is not a God but love and tolerance are the issues that bind us as human beings.

But until that day arrives we have to make it through the darkness without the help of those holding the power that should illuminate the torches that enable us to follow the paths to love and understanding - I wish you well.

1 Like

Good grief… didn’t you see the funny side of Peter asking to leave the table … nope, obviously not.

:unamused::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Sorry Stella - l must have left the room - l think you are on the wrong thread - unless we have becone completely MontyPythonesque with a large dose of Pratchett thrown in.:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

Oh, I wish.

Sadly the realist in me says that we will be debating Brexit one way or another for years to come because we will need years to renegotiate all the trade deals and rebuild our place in the world. In fact the current “Brexit lie” is that there can be a “clean break brexit”

4 Likes

As your comment appeared directly after my comments which were in reply to Peter’s about me, I think I made a fair assumption; but I accept assumptions are sometimes wrong and sometimes dangerous. This, and the fact that the reader’s interpretation of another person’s comments can be entirely at odds with the writer’s intended meaning, makes all forums open to ambiguities. I apologise unreservedly for my last comment to you.

1 Like

Very pleased indeed to learn that there’s a lot more grit in your oyster :champagne: than some might have suspected from your original take on our generous assembly, Lee. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And my comment was half good-natured tease (let’s up that to 52%, an overwhelming majority in some estimations): and 48% a mild rebuke for seeming slightly sniffy. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

But your response was nice. :grinning::+1:. Stella has long had the measure of me, she’s the thunder-thighed Serena Williams of on-line moderation, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 gamesetandmatch :tennis::spades::trophy:Stella!

1 Like

Some bedtime reading for you @rolyat

I’ll be back at work tomorrow and the weather isn’t marvellous today so ceci explique cela. Admonishing contributors rather goes with being on the team, although I do try to avoid sarcasm on social media as it is frequently misunderstood.

4 Likes

I’m pleased that you appreciate the out of hours effort that goes in to running the forum, hopefully we’ll be able to keep up throughout the week too.

My comment was in reply to Graham’s comment and, thus, quite in keeping.:rofl: