Over 50, getting up to wee in the night

I’m 67 and have always had to get up two or three times in the night even when I was 27.
Last October I needed to ‘go’ every thirty minutes or so day and night. That lasted a few days and was lucky to see a doc quite quickly who gave me some antibiotics assuming I had a bladder infection as well as urine tests etc etc. The problem improved though I still needed to ‘go’ much more often day and night. Thé Urologue said my prostate was slightly enlarged, and gave some pills to take as well as a scan. All seemed normal and the pills didn’t help. Then, a few later the Urologue then performed a Cytopscopie assuming I had a problem ie cancer etc in the bladder or a problem with the ureter. The cytopscopie revealed nothing, no abnormality found.
The consensus of opinion was that my problems are more psychological than physical.
Thé Urologue, rather baffled suggested I try some other tablets to help the bladder but I declined .

What an idiot!
Sounds like you have run the gauntlet there Peter.
Just goes to prove they don’t know yet.

One of the key aspects of needing to get up in the night is how deeply and well one sleeps in the first place. For example, someone who has sleep apnoea is dipping in and out of sleep. So the process then very easily can become, “I have almost woken up, therefore I need to get up to wee”, rather than “I need to get up to wee therefore I have woken up”.
Anyone who snores and gets up frequently and (even more) if someone else notices that when they sleep sometimes they stop breathing and then do a small gasp, should get themselves checked out for sleep apnoea.
If someone is restricting fluid intake after a certain time of the day it’s important to keep an eye on the colour of their urine. If urine is the remotest bit dark it means they are not getting enough fluid and are putting strain on their kidneys. Strong urine may lead to a feeling of needing to wee. Healthy urine is a light straw colour (except when one has eaten beetroot when it goes pink!)

1 Like

I’m 80 and had a peeing problem through my 70s, which was due to a psychological and a physical reason – anxiety and benign prostatic enlargement.

At the very beginning of an examination for prostate cancer I was sent to a clinic 30 minutes away by car for a bladder scan, and I had to arrive with a full bladder.

After 15 minutes of driving, I made an emergency stop for a very urgent pee. I slammed on the brakes, rushed onto the verge unzipping on the way, and emptied my bladder. This worried me – my bladder was supposed to be full for the examination.

Fifteen minutes later I was in the clinic and sat down to wait for my appointment, but then had to empty my bladder again, in the clinic toilet. My bladder should have been full for the examination – more anxiety.

The doctor said not to worry, but after the first bladder scan, I was asked to go have a pee, and emptied my bladder again! The second scan showed that my prostate was enlarged.

So, within the space of about 45 minutes my bladder filled up 3 times due to anxiety.

Anxiety played 50% of my peeing problem.

Once I was diagnosed with a benign condition my doctor prescribed some pills which relax muscles around the bladder area and worked wonders. I was amazed and very relieved. However, a major side effect was low blood pressure and dizzy spells every time I stood up! I gave that up straight away.

The local hospital prescribed Saw Palmetto, a herbal remedy, which is supposed to shrink the prostate, and proved to be a good alternative, for me. Now at 80 I still have peeing problems but much reduced, managed and of no real consequence.

Oddly my peeing problem never woke me up at night.

1 Like

Just to add…I recall now that during my 70s the urgency of an oncoming pee while driving was impossible to control, and was devastating, in that if I was unable to stop for traffic reasons, I had to let go and pee in my pants!

Then I would turn around, go home to clean up, me and the car seat, and change. This has happened about six times.

I don’t understand the medical reason for not being able to hold back such an undeniably strong urge to pee. The power being exerted by the bladder seemed so immense – impossible to resist.

It is down to the 2 sphincter muscles that close off or should do.
Saw pimento is a known good one as is turmeric, pepper and coconut oil (golden milk) taken on food etc.

1 Like

Thanks. I shall do some sphincter muscle exercises to see me though my 80s to help control remaining but less urgent minor pees!

1 Like

Gosh, that sounds like a challenge :grin: may be a little easier to take a supplement and see if any effect???

Its seems ice baths can help as everything tenses up so exercises muscles that have become a bit dormant.
I remember that from my time in Sweden and other arctic circle countries. Wim Hoff method is quite popular as are cryogenic chambers for a quick blast :wink::scream:

Uf, Wim Hof, incredible what he’s done - climbing everest in shorts! Apparently it is effective, but must admit, I’d find it difficuilt to stomach. Nevertheless very inspirational when you see some of his you tube vids.

The Mrs has done it!
I take a freezing cold shower now for about 4 mins then back to warm. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Think it’s “Saw Palmetto”

Haha yes, autocorrect on my phone only auto error :relaxed:

And I thought I was a bit out there, you guys are proper mad,
Ice baths and sphincter exercises, climbing everest in shorts, the world has gone mad​:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

A couple of months on here and heaven knows what you’ll be doing :joy:

The mind plays a part too. I had often woken up in the night and thought « I need a wee » (very light sleeper) until the day I broke my ankle. At the time we had no upstairs loo and going to bed at night involved shuffling up the stairs on my bum. I was dreading waking up in the night and having to shuffle downstairs. Lo and behold, I slept through the night for the entire time my leg was in plaster…

3 Likes

So, it may be my mind playing tricks on me, or diabetes, or a problem with my prostrate, or my back causing that,
And what I should do to eradicate this problem is,
Climb Everest wearing shorts
Buy a trampoline
Walk to my bar tabac at 4km hr
Pelvic floor exercises
And Give up coffee
Thank you all for your help, :joy:

Your minds playing tricks you forgot the guiness

My minds playing tricks because of the Guinness :grin:

Now what is forgetfulness a sign of? Can’t seem to remember. :wink: