Quitas fiscale

I haven’t needed a Quitas Fiscale for any of the 3 UK cars I have imported to France.

The last two had EU CoC and the V5 was in my name. The prefecture (Carcassonne) treated those as simple change of address.

The first one was too old to have an EU CoC (1993) but even then didn’t need a Quitus Fiscale, did the stuff with the Drire based on the French left-hand drive homolugated version and the Prefecture did the business.

Grahame.

Hi Graham…

I have no idea how you imported cars and registered them in France without obtaining the Quitus Fiscal which the Gov site says is needed… perhaps you can explain…

We have imported many cars over the last 20 years… and always needed that piece of paper (re TVA) as part of the package for the Prefecture… but these cars were from countries within the European Union… perhaps yours were from “outside” and thus TVA might not have been applicable…

“L’immatriculation d’un véhicule acheté dans un autre pays de l’Union européenne* que la France, ne peut être effectuée par le service préfectoral que sur présentation d’un certificat fiscal (encore appelé « quitus fiscal ») attestant que le véhicule est en situation régulière au regard de la taxe sur la valeur ajoutée.”

Stella,

nevertheless I have.

For the first one the tax authorities confirmed that a Quitas Fiscale was not required. Somewhere I have the piece of paper quoting the reg that one wasn’t required.

As I said the cars were all imported from the UK and were all registered in the UK in my name and none of them were anything like new (8-10 years old).

From what I recall having the V5 in my name made a difference to some of the process and that was also why the prefecture effectively treated the registration in France as a change of address.

What do you mean a simple change of address? Importing and registering a car is a bit more than that.

1 Like

The ages of the cars we have imported range from 4yrs to 50 yrs… all imported by the person named on the V5… even so, we were not as lucky as you have been Grahame… we had to do a bit more paperwork…

If you didn’t have to supply the QF… fair enough… it is simply a puzzle… and I would suggest that it is certainly NOT the case nowadays… (unless, perhaps, one is importing a car which has already been registered in France and is, in fact, being imported after export… :thinking::thinking::thinking: )

Thankfully the QF is not onerous to acquire… and is FREE… yippee… :relaxed::relaxed:

Yup, that’s how it was described to me at the prefecture and it was just as easy as that.

For the 2nd and 3rd we went to the prefecture with CT, proof of ownership (sales invoice), V5, CoC and paid the money - all done. Didn’t even need to notify the DVLC as the notification was done by the French authorities.

The 1st one we had to get an individual type approval as there wasn’t a CoC available for it and we had to notify the DVLC ourselves, apart from that it was just as easy.

Stella, apart from the QF what other paperwork did you have to do?

You paid the registration fee so it was a formal application. In the old days through the prefectures it could be a straightforward process.

The same paperwork as everyone else, bringing in a car from abroad.

Incidentally, it would seem that France does not always notify UK when vehicles are re-registered in France.

Many vehicles still show on the database… with Tax etc out of date… :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

That’s correct, as I said the applications were made at the prefecture and the registration in France was just as easy as a change of address, a phrase used by the member of staff at the prefecture.

Stella, but apart from the QF what extra paperwork did you need other than a V5, an individual type approval or a CoC (not always required), sales invoice and CT?

Plus proof of id/residence for the registered keeper.

Grahame… I’m not sure why you are picking at this…

You imported a vehicle and said you did not need a QF…

I said that on each occasion… I/we have had to obtain a QF, which needs a paper trail… etc… a journey/visit/ and the obtention of the QF

We have provided every document and done everything that the Law required.

I would suggest that the only area you and I “differ” on… is the fact that for some reason you have not been required to obtain a QF :thinking:

Hello, Went into the local CT station and was told I had to change the lights completely. Then found a garage run by English mechanics to book in for this work, but they confirmed that under May 2018 regulations beam deflectors ARE accepted for a CT, (but also said that some CT stations will not recognise this! However the deflectors need to be set up very accurately. Went to Riberac office and got QF yesterday, now waiting for a COC to arrive and will take the car into the garage for pre CT prep and they will get the car through the CT, AND help re register it. This garage is in dept 79 - happy to send their name if advertising is allowed.

I always use a DEKRA testing stations… and my Main Man confirms the New Legislation… (as I have already posted)…

If any CT Testing Station is refusing to acknowlege the correct use of beambenders… let me know and I will ask my Head Man if he can enlighten said “behind the times” Testing Station… :thinking:

The controle technique in Brantôme refuse to accept deflectors so i asked the guy at Nontron who said they’re fine. Until ive actually had the ct done I will not be convinced he’ll pass it.

Hi, It was at this one - SARL DUBREUIL EDELY, 12, Rue Jean Moulin24600 RIBERAC. They are a DEKRA station and he was very polite but told me that beam deflectors were only for visitors/tourists.

Thanks Wendy

cheers Wendy… I will have a word with my Main Man… :hugs:

Just remembered… he will need to know vehicle details: Make/model and year…

My husband has just returned from Nontron having booked our ct. The guy has assured him deflectors are ok. So if Nontron not too far for you i would take your car there.

Thank you Teresa, I think Nontron is about the same distance as to the other garage who will do the re registration for me too, so I’ll stick for now and hopefully in 2 years time the message will have sunk in!

1 Like

They didnt look at the vehicle but its a Peugeot 207 Sport - registered in 2010.bye W