Residency Online Applications

Don’t all rush at once…as if​:astonished::rofl::rofl:

Grahame are you sure you want France to take the UK as its model? In June alone it refused 1400 applications for settled status from EU citizens.

2 Likes

Geoffrey,

Did I say that I wanted France to take the UK as its model, I think not.

However, the UK has processed 4.1 million applications from EU27s to confirm their right to reside in the UK either long-term or provisionally

France has 400,000 UK citizens or so resident in France and it can’t even manage to grant us the right to reside we have been entitled to for decades. France can’t even get their online system working, for all its faults the UK system has been working for over a year.

How do you justify that?

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

It is not my job to justify anything. I am just saying how it appears to me.
But I would prefer a good system to a poor system.
Remains to be seen how good the French system will be.
But I do not criticise it for not being ready before it needed to be.

2 Likes

You just said “why can’t France,… do the same”

Maybe, just maybe, because they were not the ones to leave?

Just not true. If that were the case, you would have been shipped off back to blighty years ago :wink:

1 Like

Apart from applying for a job, has anybody been asked to show a CdS during the years in which they were obilgatory?

I certainly never was, so come July next year, are we suddenly going to be held up in CdS checks?

Just wondering.

The only time I used it was at a hospital as i had forgotten all other forms of proper ID. It threw the reception desk into a panic as they had never seen one before and didn’t know whether to put me in a TCN category or not…

(I think you meant the years they were NOT obligatory!)

No Jane, I mean when they were obligatory, that is those years when it was an offence not to have one. Just as, presumably, it will be again after next July.

My point being, if they were needed before, but never asked for, will things change?

David, in some situations a cds is a required document for any TCN.
Eg starting a new job, setting up a new business, registering for healthcare, getting married, claiming a social security benefit, basically anything that you are only entitled to do if you have the right to reside or work in France. If you are not an EU citizen and you cannot complete the box that asks for details of a valid cds, computer will say Non.
If you never need to do any of those things then probably you will never be asked.

1 Like

What do that mean and why are Europens getting a no to be settled

I don’t know the reasons for the refusals. You can find statistics on the number of applications submitted, the number given settled status, the number given pre settled status and the number refused. The refusals seem surprisingly high.

Yes, Geoffrey, I compressed all the valid reasons you quote into one, employment, as that was the only need I had for one, but your last sentence confirms what I suspect, although it would be foolish to deny the possibility.

Come to think of it though, although I had one, I was never asked to produce it for my healthcare registration. I was only ever asked for ID, for which my passport was accepted, just as any French citizen would be.

Nope. This is my 3rd time living in France as an immigrant (I refuse to use the term expat). First time was back in 96/97 as a stagiaire, then again in 2000 for a few years in the Cote d’Azure. I needed to get a CdS both times back then, but not once did anyone ask to see it.

1 Like

Not true, Geoffrey, with no carte de séjour… I’ve set up two businesses, taken on two employees, bought and sold half a dozen houses, taught at a lycéé, an IUT, two different CCI, now own and run a tabac. I’ve got pacs’d to my other half, we’ve got 2 children. Been with 3 different caisse for the sécu. All that with no carte de séjour as one was never needed as a european citizen. Yes that is all about to change but the site will be on-line soon, very soon, for those of you who are going to need one. Hang in there :wink:

@david marker : I did have a carte de séjour back in 2001 when teaching for a year, it was a formality, my head wrote a note to the maire and one was issued, never actually needed to produce it though although it was easier to carry around than a passport as id!

2 Likes

I think it’s called Mens rea - guilty mind.
The Gendarme are well versed in sussing out a persons attitude/deportment and have more knowledge about who is on their patch than we would sometimes believe.

I am sorry Andrew I thought David’s question was about the situation after the end of transition. He asked Will things change.
In the last several decades I worked in many EU countries and also co ran a business in France and all I needed was my passport which identified m e as an EU citizen. After December my passport will idenify me as a TCN and unless it is supported with another document it will not satisfy an authority that I have the right to live and/or work in France. So as I see it things will change. A British passport on its own will not open the same doors that it used to.

Ah, got you, Geoffrey :wink: But you’re right for the future; it certainly will be the case from 2021 onwards, unfortunately :frowning:

That is correct, it will be needed, but will it be asked for in the way that it never was before (when needed)? Maybe gendarmes at roadside checks will be more switched on than they used to be and ask for it, so would be foolish not to apply.

I arrived in 1999 and got a casual job straight away but when I was very soon offered a permanent one with the local haulage company and was due to start, it was suddenly halted because the boss had been told by the sub-prefecture that I needed to change my HGV licence and get a CdS. I went to the SP and the both were done on the same day and I started work one day late.

In fact that delay was very lucky for me, because if I had started as planned I would have been away from home the night of the Grande Tempete and unable to get back. As it was, I spent the first few days with a couple of others in a small van each with a chainsaw, unblocking our isolated village. :slightly_smiling_face:

I see no reason why gendarmes would ask to see a residence card at a roadside check on a non EU driver. Many will be visitors not residents but if they have committed a traffic offence then the offence is the same whether they live here or not.
I think these days it is more a case of having a valid droit au séjour recorded on ths public services computer, than being constantly asked to produce the actual card in random situation. The TCNs that worked for us were always so careful to keep their cds up to date, they obviously feared administrative problems if the let it lapse. If they asked for time off work to go to the prefecture we never queried it.