Should the past be allowed to come back and bite you?

That was what he was advised to do.

NO

NO

NO

Agree, itā€™s a pity (for Goveā€™s campaign) that he was writing an article condemning middle class drug use at the same time as he was taking drugs.

I havenā€™t read the piece but his defence, such as it is, is that he was condemning not so much the drug use but the pressure from said middle class drug users to legalise their habit.

I think the answer here is that most people would find both of these very questionable - as would I, but in the former at least I might be prepared to look at individual circumstances

Cocaine is not, to be fair, normally considered ā€œmind alteringā€ - it is a stimulant and arguably no different to military use of modafinil for the purpose of keeping alert.

Long term use can lead to psychoses, of course, and active use can impair judgement neither of which sit well with controlling nuclear power - but there are bigger idiots with their fingers on nuclear buttons on the world stage.

4 Likes

Let me just paint a couple of hypothetical situations for you:

15 year old lad gets his 14 year old girlfriend pregnant, her parents donā€™t like the idea and insist that charges are brought. He gets convicted of statutory rape and is on the sex offenders register. Fast forward 5 or 6 years, they are married, reconciled with the in-laws and have a couple more kids. He is trying for a job as a school caretaker - should he be barred from this?

30 year old, commutes by bus/train had a few drinks after work & returns home. Wife is in the kitchen, knocks a cup out of a cupboard and tries to catch it but it smashes and a piece severs her radial artery (very nearly happened to a friend of mine but just tendon damage) - blood everywhere so he (perhaps judgement a bit impaired) panics and drives her to A&E, sheā€™s kept in for surgery and he, worried and maybe still not the best judge of his sobriety drives home and is caught by the cops - heā€™s just enough over the limit to prosecute. 10 years later heā€™s interested in that bus driver job - should he be barred?

Slightly off topic, I know, but just to illustrate that one should never judge without knowing the full story.

1 Like

Well letā€™s look at a bit more charitably. He is a snide, snakey, back-stabbing little shit. He has no backbone, and a disgusting wife. He is a moneygrubbing little slave to his media masters (as is she).

All in all he seems to have just about all the qualifications of a Prime Minister of the UK - wouldnā€™t you think?

3 Likes

Whatā€™s depressing is all of this is true, and heā€™s one of the more plausible candidates :frowning:

I donā€™t think having had a joint or two at college is in the same league as child molesting Graham. Rather than focussing on mistakes they may have made in their youth I think itā€™s more relevant that Bojo, Hunt, Raab, McVey, et al are genuinely nasty people who will walk all over you (and every poor sod in the UK) just to satisfy their naked ambition. Thatā€™s not speculation, they all have form. Hunt screwed the junior doctors, Raab rejected the deal he negotiated himself and McVey, like BoJo will say anything she thinks will get her into the next round. If BoJo does get the job heā€™ll only be a catā€™s paw for Wooster-Mogg and the ERG. The future doesnā€™t look pretty to me.

3 Likes

But apart from that heā€™s a great bloke :joy:

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve just read the details. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/09/michael-goves-conservative-leadership-prime-minister-cocaine-admission

Each promise theyā€™re coming out with is more unbelievable than the previous one. I think BoJo is going to promise to cure cancer and Hunt is eradicating world poverty. Meanwhile in the real world UK food banks are overrun.

1 Like

Yep, I wouldnā€™t pisss on the bastard if he was on fire! Ditto re Johnson, Farage etc., etc; ad infinitum. THAT is really dpressing - not that there us just one of the little turds, but dozens - and the buggers are probably breeding!!! A nice little new crop of Johnsons we know about, but what about the others?

Thank goodness I am no longer British and an old fart with few years left to live, but I really donā€™t like the world I am looking at very much - least of all in my former country.

2 Likes

I wonder if Mr Gove would have been selected as their candidate for Westminster had his drug taking history been known to his constituency party association at the time he first wanted to become an MP.

The swarmy creep IDS makes my skin crawl every time he appears on TV with another bunch of lies for the gullible.

2 Likes

I can just see the Association linking arms and all singing that old Who song from Quadropheniaā€¦

[Chorus]
(Inside outside) Leave me alone
(Inside outside) Nowhere is home
(Inside outside) Where have I been?
Out of my brain on the 5:15
Out of my brain on the train
Out of my brain on the train

1 Like

Apparently eight of the current candidates have admitted taking drugs, perhaps it would be quicker just to exclude them from the contest so weā€™re only left with three - Sajid Javid, Mark Harper and Sam Gyimah, which one do you want?

Sajid Javid canā€™t be ALL bad - he went to the University of Exeter - which earns him brownie points in my book.

1 Like

Yes IDS is on the top of my list! I forgot to mention that they ALL have one qualification in my view - they would all make perfect ā€˜strangersā€™ - I can also think of some others around the globe in the same arena!

That they are all in the ā€˜corridors of powerā€™ is the most depressing part of the 21st Century to me.

2 Likes

Probably one of the strangest postings I have ever seen on this site.

In what way do you find it strange, Norman?

To me, it is very much de nos jours: a bit of brash self-advertisement, a bit of insecure and uncertain bravado, a bit of petty nose-tweaking, more than a touch of idle ennuie.

Hardly unusual or noteworthy IMO.

Sam Gyimah has withdrawn.

Iā€™m sorry. I liked and respected him. He seemed to me to be natural, unaffected by the toe-curling smarminess of many Conservative politicians, and with a long-term approach to the national interest.

I doubt he has much of a future in the party he chose as his platform. The Tories donā€™t like uppity black people except as window-dressing.