Show me your baps!

I’ve recently got back in to baking, it’s fun when you get it right, here are a few of my successes.

Please show me what you’ve got!

3 Likes

Wow… impressive… I’ve always fancied bread making… but never got up the courage… yet :upside_down_face:

Hurrrmph… and I was thinking that the thread was a naughty one…

4 Likes

… there is still time… :wink:

2 Likes

It’s called a Panasonic .
Congratulations on your breadmaking though.

1 Like

You can’t do these in your Panasonic I bet :wink:

Beetroot bread with cheese and bacon and some petit pain

3 Likes

I’ve never seen red bread! I’ll try that :slight_smile:

Wow, I’m impressed, bet they go down a real treat. I used to make onion bread and cheese bread but I am cutting back on bread and have now sold my machine !

1 Like

We do sourdough, so one of the loaves. Also sourdough crumpets, nans, breadsticks and pizza as it’s a bit of a tyrant so have to keep using it.

(And my granny would turn in her grave at the thought of a bacon bagel!)

4 Likes

Jane, Would you share your sourdough bread recipe?

For 2 loaves
90g spelt
700g bread flour (we use mix of whole meal and white organic T65)
400g sourdough starter
650g water
10g salt

Mix starter & flour (have to tear starter up a bit)in a big bowl. Add water and mix until a soggy lump. Then tip it out and work it. After a bit sprinkle the salt on, and continue to work it until nice elastic dough. Pop it back in bowl for an hour or so, then fold it once and back into bowl for another hour. Then divide into two, dust with flour and pop into well floured baskets in fridge overnight.

Next day bring out of fridge to get to room temperature, and heat oven to approx 250. Slash top of each loaf and pop in oven on heated trays or baking stone if you have one. After 5mins turn heat down to 220, then after another 25mins turn down to 210 until cooked (approx 10-15mins).

I did say sourdough was a tyrant…but addictive.

2 Likes

OK, Thanks for that. I think you need to expand on spelt and the composition of the sourdough starter (for me anyway!)

I’d like to chip in on the starter if I may, it’s pretty easy, mix some water and flour to a thick liquid consistency, leave it a couple of days and then start feeding it. Tip out half (you’ll eventually use this) and add some fresh flour and water. Get lots of air in to it with a whisk or blender. After you’ve done this for a few days it will come to life, when it’s bubbly and stinking like paint stripper, it’s ready to use!

1 Like

Spelt flour, called épeautre in french. Gives it a nutty taste, and seems to be freely available in organic, health or bio shops.

Hmm, as for the starter I’m not sure. Ours came from my sister about 5 years ago and we’ve had it living in the fridge since. I think it’s easy to start off with flour, water & honey or grapes but you’ll have to look it up online. Often called a sourdough mother, and purists swear by things that have some special ancestry, but ours works fine & I think my sister just used honey.

Makes great toast, and doesn’t go stale in 5 minutes!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone who answered

1 Like

It’s also called a Poolish or Levain, you should check out Hugh Fearnley Whitingstall’s Bread book

I’m a purist, I never add anything but flour, usually rye or just a strong white 65

2 Likes

I’ve got a great HFW River Cottage programme on DVD about making it. It’s a real idiot’s guide.

1 Like

Best bread I’ve made, was when crossing the Atlantic alone on my boat, it was one with olive oil, I thought it was great, sadly, no one there for a second opinion :thinking:

2 Likes