Small cheap "reminder" watch for my wrist

I’m still wearing the Animal watch that I bought in 2000, it’s travelled the world with me, been snorkeling and trekking etc. Far from posh, but tough and reliable.

1 Like

Don’t know what sort of watch you want, but try googling ‘Vestaire Collective’ and ‘montres’ where you’ll find 1000’s of s/h designer watches - very few fakes , but also for €10 they’ll check and verify pre-purchase.

Phoney watches are generally a bad idea - what would owning one ‘say’ about you?

1 Like

Plus it’s illegal to sell fakes of all sorts here. The douanes love steamrollering great heaps of fakes.

However, it’s not illegal to buy one in ‘good faith’ - and that’s difficult to disprove.

Relevant article in today’s Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2023/aug/05/hermes-gucci-how-fake-hunters-tell-designer-knock-offs-from-the-real-deal

Incidentally, took delivery of my Vestaire Collective €590 down to €65 Bally loafers (barely worn) the other day and am very pleased - they’re the real deal and a real bargain - Mark goes BCBG!

5 Likes

Interesting turn to the thread. I am reminded of a shop I saw in Greece advertising “genuine fake” sunglasses.

It was recently my birthday, and as a result have acquired a Seiko series 5 automatic watch. The last experience with automatics was a bargain model from AliExpress that worked for a few months before stopping, but this has a proper warranty that should not involve shipping to China. However curiouser and curiouser, that cheap auto has begun to work again since the new watch arrived. Maybe it was lonely?

2 Likes

I had a mechanical automatic self-winding watch in my youth, and in my dotage decided to get me another – Hamilton 42mm. Very pleased with it. Accurate. USA designed and manufactured in Switzerland. But expensive. Mine cost £845 in 2020.

I also have another one, 38mm same make, with day and date, which is cheaper than the 42mm.

2 Likes

I’m not a watch fundi and hadn’t heard of Hamilton before, nor ever before thought about America making watches, but your post prompted me to look them up. Interesting stuff. So your watch is a US WWII wind-up case design, with a later, much more sophisticated Swiss mechanism?

Made me think of Vicarage Mk II Jags About Vicarage

1 Like

My understanding is that Hamilton based their series of khaki watches on the USA military field watch, designed for soldiers in WW2. Designed now in the USA and manufactured in Switzerland to compete with other major watch manufacturers But they design other types of watches as well.

world-war-2-watch

But that’s not why I chose Hamilton. Like paintings, they either ‘grab’ me or not. The Hamilton watches I chose, ‘grabbed’ me.

1 Like

Great word :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I saw what you did there!

2 Likes

Trying to lace this together, I thought it was a wind up on the uppers, something a bit tongue and toe,but sole less, something more off the hoof :grinning:

3 Likes

You’re just trying to heel things, but at least you’re not tongue tied…

1 Like

You’ve obviously got far too much spare time - what a pair of loafers!

3 Likes

This is how the inner man works. :wink:

Now you’re putting the boot in…

2 Likes

Aglets stop punning now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Maybe we should put a sock in it. Before we get the slipper.

2 Likes

Or get shooed off…

1 Like

I have read that the idle power consumption of my M1 Mac Mini is just over four watts. I send it to sleep when not using it.

This could last a long time.

2 Likes