That walk to the altar - Update 17/05

Well I for one will be watching it ( I suppose it will be on French tv) and wish them all the best of happiness, the same as I would wish for every soon to be married couple.
I don’t suppose they wanted all this palaver and would have preferred it to be low key. Imagine what the media would have made of that! They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. I don’t envy them their position, good luck to them and theirs ! :grinning:

2 Likes

I would have celebrated the resources being spent on education and health care, that would have been a cause for joy and respect.

1 Like

I remember someone starting a post a few months ago about the Royals and money. I think it may have been Barbara. Anyway, not sure this is the best thread to post this on but I saw this yesterday and thought you might all be interested.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/996750078147743745

3 Likes

Thanks so much for that Mandy. I’ve always know that to be true but it’s great to see things so simply explained - may help some anti-royalists to get a grip ! :uk: :uk: :uk:

2 Likes

I guess they choose to spend their own money on whatever they like - just like you Bill :wink:

I don’t believe a high proportion of visitors to the UK come to see their majestys.
The Crown Estates would run and provide dosh, without the royals presence.
Without the royals, the security burden would be much less costly.
Pretty certain the ‘profit margin’ would be much higher, without them :grin:
Their own money???

Hi Bill… in another Thread… I explained about the Crown Estates etc and I wondered how UK would cope financially … if we cancelled the Charter and chucked out the Royals… :wink:

Because that would mean the Royals would retain all the Income from the Crown Estates… and good luck to them… :relaxed::heart_eyes::hugs:

4 Likes

Don’t think they would Stella :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t believe any foreign tourist specifically visits the UK because of the Royal family BUT the history of the UK monarchy and all the pomp and ceremony that surrounds it is a big pull.

The argument about how much the royals cost the UK taxpayer is almost as boring as Brexit.

I don’t think the Royal family would retain all the income. The Crown Estates are not the personal property of the sovereign. If the monarchy no longer existed I imagine the Crown Estate would continue to function and all it’s revenue would go to the Treasury.
https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/our-business/faqs/#whoownsthecrownestate

1 Like

Of course Poppy :+1: :grin:

If the Government chose to “do away with the Monarchy” … I suspect there would be a lengthy, involved legal battle to get the Agreement signed in 1760 overturned and the “Crown Lands” handed back to the heirs of George III.

:upside_down_face::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

If they were “done away with”, I think the legal battle, would be brief, and off to social housing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There must be a few TV producers feeling that they have missed an opportunity. If only Meghan’s father has voiced his position a year ago, what a fantastic Saturday evening singing, dancing and speech making reality TV talent contest they could have had with the prize for the winner to be the stand in giver away. I’d have called it Stand By Me.

2 Likes

Phil Collins, Eric Clapton and, of course, Ben E King…

That production pitch would have won you a Bafta, Golden Globe or whatever else it deserves, David, and eclipsed the wedding itself :grinning:

1 Like

@Bill… “off to social housing”…

Howabout an eleventh-floor flat in a Grenfell-type tower-block? I’m sure there will be a tenant family who would do a council swap, as an act of generosity to the ex-Royals :joy:

1 Like

The World has gone totally BARMY!
Even the BBC R4 Shipping Forecast has been rescheduled!!!:roll_eyes:

Sounds quite appropriate Peter. :+1:

Really precious what you have written Peter ,probably Meghans dad wont get there ,but at least you have had your say. Well done Peter.