The great Marmite divide

I’m just sitting have marmite on toast for my tea, (running very behind schedule tonight, hence toast for dinner), and I was remembering the great marmite divide between friends of mine.
So tell me, do you love it or hate it?? What are your favourite ways to eat it if you do like it?

I personally like it with proper salted butter on toast or in a cheese panini. I also put it in my Bolognese sauce and sometimes in hotpots.

5 Likes

You can get small jars in our local Leclerc shops. Have you tried looking in their 'food from around the world shelves?
Worst case scenario, I’ll get some and send it to you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Trying to get some at the moment as I think I’ve got a vitamin deficiency. However, love the stuf anyway, it blends so well with the most (?) ‘proper’ beurre d’Isigny on toast. Unfortunately think I’ll have to visit our local Leclerc for its foreign food section.

Your post also raises the broader issue of English (or UK) foods in France. I know what I miss, but I don’t really miss it! The smell of wet dogs in a Lake District pub (preferably the Dog and Gun in Keswick or the Kirkstile Inn at Loweswater), the taste of a hard northern cheese such as Sandham’s Lancashire. Nevertheless, I’m more than happy with what we have in the Aveyron

2 Likes

I agree with you Mark. I don’t really miss things until I think about them but I am perfectly happy eating local and can make most things that I really like.
Also a jar of marmite lasts me ages.
I also get a lot of Dutch food from the Netherlands, either bought to me by friends or, as is the case since Covid, sent to me in the post. You can get a fair amount of British foods from there but I’m more interested in the hagelslag personally.

A couple of times I have had a yen for some “British” food. But then when I find it quite often I discover that I no longer like it enough to make it worthwhile. My taste buds have changed and I prefer Comté to Cheddar, haricots blancs to baked beans, saucisson to sausages, My local butchers sells a tomato sauce that is far nicer than Heinz…

Can I have my nationality now please?

5 Likes

:nauseated_face: :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

Olive oil :heart_eyes:, tapanade or houmous on toast anyday :wink:

3 Likes

It’s the fermented sweat from Satan’s bum crack.

4 Likes

Well put, @NotALot

Now, Vegemite, the Australian improvement, is another matter

2 Likes

Marmite…food of the Gods.
recommend “XO” aka extra old as a bit stronger and richer.
Friends bought me couple of jars last autumn.
…and daughter sent me a big cost a jar of limited edition of Chilli Marmite in feb…nice but really couldn’t get a chili kick

3 Likes

Oh PLEASE, not another thread on marmite - how obsessed are you people! :grin:

3 Likes

I love it on buttered toast, and when I can, also on crumpets.
Alternate Marmite with Bovril.
Usually get through a jar of each about every 3 weeks.
Looking forward to picking up jars of Marmite XO Marmite Dynamite when I next go to the UK.

1 Like

?..not sure why another one is started…pity threads can’t be merged @james ?

1 Like

That’s my fault. I’ll get my coat…:woman_facepalming:t2::rofl:

2 Likes

I love a good marmite thread!!

2 Likes

Couldn’t have put it better myself :wink::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s my fault. I’ll get my coat…:woman_facepalming:t2:

Love a good marmite thread as much as the runny black stuff :grinning:

1 Like

Haven’t had Marmite for years, but have always been amazed that you are supposed to love it or hate it.

I like it. But, although it is on sale here I think, I have never never bought it here. :confused:

I used to load steel from the Conder factory at Burton on Trent, and the smell there was lovely. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Got four jars of God’s Own Food for Christmas and close to starting the last one - not worried yet tho’.

Whilst I’m perfectly OK with vinaigrette on salads, I did get through a bottle of Heinz Salad Cream in the few warm days end of March/start of April. Also great in a cheddar sandwich.

Will have to do unsupervised grocery shopping soon .

Apparently there’s a shortage of Marmite from the factory.

Because pubs have been closed in the UK thanks to Covid lockdowns, breweries have been producing far less beer and there is thus far less brewer’s yeast available - hence, less Marmite…

1 Like