The great Marmite divide

With cucumber. I used to like very thinly spread marmite with cucumber . But all the food here is so much more delicious that I’m not sure it has the same appeal anymore.

2 Likes

Glad there are a few of us Vegimiters on here! :rofl:Us Aussies are really not fond of Marmite but I often wonder how Brits end up wiht a Vegimite preference!

Crowded House reference??? I’m the same if I’m desperate I can eat Marmite but it isn’t the same at all!

Welcome to the forum Denise.

I’d edit your profile to remove your email address as this is visible on the forum to all comers, not just forum members.

1 Like

Vegimite every time - my daughter now lives in Brisbane with her Australian partner. I much preferred it when they introduced it to me about 12 years ago. Keeps well beyond the “use by” date as well.

1 Like

They say those of us who prefer Vegemite have a more refined, subtly developed sense of taste

4 Likes

My local Carrefour carries Marmite in its British section but I always think it’s too expensive to satisfy my very occasional cravings. Oddly, the British shelves are stacked high with Heinz baked beans with sausages. No one buys them, but the unadulterated baked beans are usually sold out. The stock control people don’t seem to notice this pattern. The only treat I buy in the British section is Branston pickle – marvellous in a cheese sandwich, and I haven’t found a French equivalent.

2 Likes

I don’t like Vegemite or the UK Marmite, but after 35 years in NZ i got to love the NZ Marmite. When the Christchurch earthquakes hit, they disrupted Marmite production for a year, iirc. I now have about two years supply up here in Brittany.

1 Like

Is NZ marmite really different?
Why aren’t you a Vegemite fan then?

…very bold :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Definitely different but don’t ask me to describe how - other than maybe less sharp?

@Ken_Barker …my sympathy as i couldn’t call mine chronic but i do get bouts from time to time despite the pills and I’m just wondering if Marmite is going to have to be left on the shelf in future :unamused

@Ken_Barker @strudball you both have my sincere sympathy. I used to suffer greatly from gout and could never find the trigger.
However, looking at this reference I notice alcohol listed, as well as other factors but not Marmite unless the salt content is a hidden factor.
Thankfully, my bouts of gout have diminished in recent years and I can’t help but think that giving up alcohol and reduced weight with careful type 2 diabetes management without insulin have all contributed to this outcome. (I do have some of the other medicaments mentioned though…)
I do hope so as the disease is incredibly debilitating :hugs:

Thank you John, thank you Graham,
If you check https://elevatehealthaz.com/wp-content/Purine%20Table.pdf there is an extensive Purine table. In section C, headed 150-1,000mg purine per 100g there is a list " Extracts of Meat and Yeast (Bovril, Oxo, Marmite, Vegemite)". The top of many purine tables is brewers yeast (1810mg/100g) used for making beer. Marmite is made from the by-products of beer production which is why it should be avoided.
Off subject: have a look at The Absolute Worst Foods For Chronic Gout Sufferers ⋆ Goutproof
“alcohol hinders the kidneys’ ability to remove waste products such as uric acid”
Keep well, Ken

1 Like

Hello Ken
My partner had bad gout attacks for some years and attempted to control it with diet, using purine tables as you mentioned. We ended up with a vegetarian diet and many restrictions because he really didn’t want to go onto Allopurinol as suggested by his doctor in the UK. However, after several years of relative success, the diet approach gradually stopped working and he is now taking something different (fluoxetine? not sure) as suggested by our MT here and hasn’t had any problems since. Unfortunately, this now means he can eat a lot more meat and is doing!

Febuxostat??

Thank you Paul! That’s it :smiley: The other name I used (which sounded familiar) is something else entirely :rofl:

Yes, it is an anti-depressant.

So, while it might make you partner less fed up about having gout, it won’t actually improve it.

2 Likes

Thank you Angela (and of course Paul)

I would be very tempted to ask for Febuxostat if I had simple gout. Unfortunately my kidneys are not working as well as they should and this in turn is causing gout. Next week’s blood test should reveal more.

I’m so sorry to hear that, Ken - definitely not what you need! Are you in France or the UK? It might affect what drugs you can get, although as @anon88169868 is aware of what my partner was given here,it implies to me that it is also available in the UK…

Very best of luck with the blood test - I seriously hope that you can get this sorted because I know how ghastly gout can be.

Thank you Angela. Gout was diagnosed in Mouzon then confirmed in Dunkerque but it is only in Barnet after our return to the UK (we moved back in 2017) that I started taking Allupurinol.

In the good old days you could exchange a UK licence for a French licence if you went to the local Sous-Prefecture in Dunkerque. After filling in the forms, we were told to come back in week’s time because they were about to close for August. It was not far to walk but that day I woke up with a gout attack and I remember the agony of trying to walk on the outside of my feet, as quickly as possible, to get to the appointment. It goes without saying that taking the car into Dunkerque was not an option.