The Queen's Jubilee - A Time To Celebrate?

Having to meet Heads of State with whom she profoundly disagrees and be polite, keep herself up to date with what is going on in the world via her red boxes which, I have heard, take at least two hours a day.
Having to wear gloves all the time!
Etc. etc. etc.

2 Likes

not to forget “pricking” pricks :slightly_smiling_face:
an example

1 Like

Would you swap your life for hers, as I certainly wouldn’t. Continuously ‘on show’ and living in a ‘goldfish bowl’, committed to the cause for her entire life. I reiterate that she’s done a marvellous job and take my hat off to her.

6 Likes

and bow deferently? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Or even deferentially. :wink:

2 Likes

Would I have swapped my life for hers? You bet! My God if you consider that a hard life then yours must have been an easy one.

She has never worked in her life! Get off your knees and take responsibility as a citizen not a subject!

Hmmm
 seems like this might be the moment when we take a pause
 deep breathing
 no stress

1 Like

So her work during the war was faked was it ?

On the contrary, sounds like you must have had an extremely difficult life, or perhaps not fully understanding the full extent of the Queen’s responsibilities. Each to their own, but think you’ll have a very hard time convincing many prople that she’s had an easy life :grin:

2 Likes

As a republican I do agree with monarchy as a system of goverment. Normally my attitude to others who believe in it is "Well if it makes you happy
"l
But I find royalist fans who simplisticly believe in the God like attributes of one person elevates them above all others in a system that awards that solely on the basis of birth lacking in intelligence and i am impelled to counter their simplistic beliefs.
If the administrators of this site permit political statements then they must allow contrary opinions or be suspect of political censorship.

1 Like

Do you really believe that any relative of the monarch would ever be allowed to get into harms way?

It’s more than anybody’s career is worth

https://www.ouest-france.fr/culture/people/elizabeth-ii/jubile-d-elizabeth-ii-parade-et-pique-niques-pour-le-dernier-jour-de-celebration-7ed4ed14-e4be-11ec-8526-27e8fb5a056f

1 Like

https://www.ouest-france.fr/culture/people/elizabeth-ii/jubile-d-elizabeth-ii-en-images-a-londres-pluie-de-stars-pour-feter-la-reine-17d72e3b-6c5e-4983-b3ad-52224ae725bc

Clearly diplomacy wasn’t a career you followed. On that note, enjoy the rest of the jubilee and have a good rest of the weekend😁

2 Likes

Is this whack-a-mole week? :slight_smile: No issues with different opinions, they are interesting and we can learn something. But the rudeness and self-centredness quotient makes some opinions very hard to absorb.

In all honesty I think the reality is, like most issues in life, somewhere in the middle of all the comments. I’ve not really participated in the thread because the fawning and constant repetition of the tired old cliches and PR lines about how incredible she is have made me seriously cringe, but I’m equally cringing at the republican views as they’re as unrealistic as the views on the other side.

Yes she’s worked incredibly hard for the country, taken her responsibilities to the role and to the country very seriously, she seems to be a good, honest, kind person who seems to have prioritised her job over giving her children the morals and ethics and decent upbringing that would have meant that the majority of them weren’t entitled jerks, or worse (remember the soon to be king has/had a valet put the toothpaste on the brush for him :roll_eyes:) BUT she has been incredibly well rewarded for dedication, to use a cliche she’s worked hard, but boy she’s got to play hard too.

People say she’s in her nineties still working which the rest of us couldn’t/ wouldn’t do, true, but then we haven’t had the best medical treatment money could buy at our fingertips our entire lives, perhaps if everyone did they’d be able to do what she does at her age too, she’s been waited on hand and foot her entire life, again, perhaps with that life we’d all be much more able to carry on working and enjoying life like her, she’s never had to worry about paying a bill, making a dinner, getting from A to B, nothing at all is out of her reach nor has it ever been. She’s been very dedicated to her country and her position and I thank her for it, but we really mustn’t try pretend the reason she’s been able to is anything other than because of the extraordinary life and wealth she has been given, not earnt, we, the public, have more than given her the tools to do her job so it’s not as though she’s achieved something extraordinary above what she should have done. Every monarch should, and must, work as hard and be as dedicated as her or the public should be asking questions as to what they pay for, whether they’re the right people for the job. I suspect even if you calculated every single hour she’s worked in her very long and seemingly exhausting life and multiplied it by a very reasonable hourly wage, perhaps even one similar to a ftse 100 CEO, it would still total a drop in the ocean compared to the value of the assets and cash she owns, or ‘holds on behalf of the country’ and can use as she fancies. She’s been able to do what she’s done entirely because she’s been gifted a life that potentially no one else on the globe, aside from the odd Middle Eastern peer of hers perhaps, could ever imagine or experience. The good of living her life at least matches the bad, and likely significantly outweighs it, so I’d take the job in a heartbeat, and take all the significant downsides that came with it, knowing that I have a support system in so many ways like no one else on earth, to mitigate those downsides dramatically.

She seems to be a wonderful lady who has done wonderful things for her country but it’s impossible seemingly for almost anyone to actually be realistic about the situation on either side of the debate which is a real shame as it’s only by being realistic that we can actually get to the truth. I’m not a republican at all, far from it, but I do think we need to look at things like this as honestly as possible and not let judgement be clouded by rose tinted glasses, the outcome will likely be the same, we won’t change our views, but we will be being more true to ourselves.

Anyway, that’s my little Sunday rant, and now I’m off to make a cake lol.

3 Likes

Which you wouldn’t have the freedom to make on social media if you were the monarch. :wink:

4 Likes

Must confess that it would really rattle me
 not being able to say anything in public or anything which might be overheard and reported/criticized
 or even saying to a friend and then wondering if said friend might remark/report at some time in the future
 :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Somehow, don’t think the Queen has too much time for cake making :grin: Enjoy​:+1:

1 Like