To Hell or Rwanda

4 Likes

Not sure Rwanda is part of the French D.O.M –T.O.M or anywhere near them?
Being a pensioner, why would i shoot myself and others in the foot?
Nah… the snide government thought that one up all by itself
They are paying millions to look after a section of peoples they have no responsibility for, but won’t give the WFA to it’s pensioners choosing to live in France
Fair?

Is Rwanda a good country to live?

Beautiful weather prevails, making the country a pleasant spot to call home.
Locals are also some of the friendliest, most open and welcoming people in Africa. And, although Rwanda has a tumultuous history, the situation today is much more stable, with expats reporting feeling extremely safe in the country.

OK now I know you’re a troll

Yes, that happens Bob when you’re being persecuted. It’s hard to make travel arrangements when you are in fear of your life.

Sorry, I’m afraid there is Bob.

That’s just being silly, so I’ll draw a line here. Good luck :roll_eyes:

That pretty raciest Bob :thinking:

1 Like

John,
he’s a troll - see his comments in this thread:

1 Like

I agree Nigel, it’s quite sad really.

Interesting statistics:

Britain cannot cope with any more asylum seekers but Rwanda, which already hosts five times as many refugees per capita as the UK, and with a population density almost twice as great, can do so.

4 Likes

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 12.36.50

8 Likes

The thought had crossed my mind :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

This made me chuckle:

4 Likes

I’m not a Corbyn fan but he is saying something important here

2 Likes

Another good point -

In a briefing paper for MPs, Church’s Mission and Public Affairs Council wrote that the government’s pledge to stop the boats fails to recognise “human dignity”.

The bishops added in a submission to the House of Commons’ Home Affairs committee: "The increasing securitisation makes the routes by sea riskier, and the profits for traffickers correspondingly higher.

“Far from creating deterrence, the UK’s approach is creating a boom market for criminal enterprises.”

The whole ‘send them to Rwanda’ plan is yet another Tory capitalist scheme.

1 Like

And a total waste of taxpayer’s money, especially when
they are refusing to pay highly trained people the salaries they deserve.

1 Like

I realise that my personal views on immigrants may not be the majority one, but

What has happened to UK? Or, was it always this xenophobic and callous towards the plight of others (non-British)? The whole Rwanda deportation proposal is inhuman and shameful. A country whose national anthem begins with the word ‘God’ has ought to be demonstrating a lot more Christian charity. Surely?

I truly believe that bleating “But we cannot just let everyone in!”, apart from amazingly selfish, is completely ignoring that this is a finite globe we are all living on. We have long enjoyed living in nations on the half of this earth tirelessly contributing a large part to the current climate deterioration, through endless consumption, exploitation and mismanagement of the world’s riches. Did, or does, anyone really believe the UK can build a metaphorical wall high enough to keep all newcomers out? Are we not all humankind?

As the world physically deteriorates, what is now but a trickle will become a massive flood. Time to stop living in denial and prepare.

3 Likes

This royal throne of kings, this scepter’d isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,

All latter-day John of Gaunt alikes.
I have to say I’m team Donne not team Shakespeare when it comes to islands and what to make of them.

3 Likes

Not convinced you need the last two words there.

Yes, I think we have been xenophobic for a very long time, “Love Thy Neighbour” and “'til death do us part” were comedies (or at least satire) but the views at which they poked fun were very real.

In fact I think it goes back to Empire at least - intertwined with feelings of “inherent” superiority.

TBH Britain feels like a far less xenophobic place than it did 40 or 50 years ago. As for ‘empire’, that’s not really present any more except in a very few, generally older people.

I suppose there is day to day xenophobia - which does  feel less marked, mainly because young people are far less likely to see the colour of someone’s skin, or their accent as an issue vs what you might call institutional xenophobia as expressed by the government rhetoric and a small right wing mnority which seems to be calling the shots - the gain on that seems to be turned up to 11.

1 Like

Actually it’s not just the xenophobia, it’s the pettiness and vindictiveness of it all