Trump Trumps Trump

Trump may think he could say “this document is declassified” and it be true, but it isn’t that straightforward.

Is there a book that can comprehensively tell me what is not straightforward in America?

Seems to me that nothing is….!

Oh, I completely agree that The Donald hasn’t followed accepted practice for self-declassifying previously classified materials at all.

One problem is who else has had access to them and the other, more serious issue, is that just because a President decides that information on X is no longer classified, it doesn’t stop it being very dangerous if it fell into the wrong hands.

I guess Presidents get treated differently, but I was once read the Riot Act by a very angry Special Branch officer for failing to secure a glossary page that fell out of the binder of a Restricted Document. I wouldn’t have minded if it hand been my fault, but my then boss had dropped it and begged me to take the blame as the careless idiot had 2 previous transgressions on his record and would have been in receipt of his P45 if he was caught again.

I heard some years later from another ex-colleague that said former boss had been careful for a while and actually been promoted before promptly ******* himself, his entire career and any prospect of further employment in the defence and security sectors be losing an entire Secret document.

It rather depends who’s involved and who’s running the country at the time. So, not unlike the U.K. in recent decades.

wasn’t this one was it?

I know the feeling, though - thankfully - not an angry SB officer, just a slightly miffed compliance officer. Clear desk policies are all very well in theory but when you need constant reference to the documents it’s easy to miss things when you are trying to leave *most* stuff where you need it the next day and just get the classified stuff away safely for the night.

1 Like

There is a world of a difference between locking such stuff up in a steel secure cabinet before going home (or leaving the office) and taking sensitive or classified “stuff” out of the office with all the consequent risk of unintended disclosure (maybe sometime intended) by leaving it in an insecure fashion - such as in a briefcase left at a bus stop :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

No, my idiot was a manager at BAe in the late 1980s.

Indeed

I’d be useless at selling secrets though - I couldn’t get the safe open even though I knew the combination :frowning:

1 Like

6 Likes

I just read this in a CNN news letter this morning….

In New Mexico, a county commissioner named Couy Griffin, who founded the group Cowboys for Trump and took part in the January 6 riot, was stripped of his elected position by a judge and barred from holding any state or federal elected position in the future. Griffin had been convicted of trespassing earlier this year and was then sued to remove him from office.

The judge said Griffin violated the 14th Amendment by taking part in an “insurrection” against the US government.

Not so for Trump – no one is above the law except him - or am I being too impatient!?

I’ve been waiting for years to see Trump taken down – have watched and waited for that day, and wonder if at last it’s going to happen…!

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more ‘notalot’. This is a witch hunt at the moment. Sad state of affairs. Lots of others Republican and Democrats have been proven wicked, which I don’t think Trump is. Corruption everywhere and witch hunts against people all over the place. It’s very sickening and it would be betteer if we got on with policies which sorted the problems us mundane people have. Horrible stuff against Trump

We are talking about the Donald aren’t we? Hideous fraudulent sociopath that he is.

8 Likes

Well, I did have slight doubts about “anonymising” that particular user for a second - but hadn’t seen those comments. They warrant being defenestrated from the site on their own as far as I am concerned.

5 Likes

3 Likes

And his rotten family.

2 Likes

I’m an admirer of Jamie Raskin, a House Democrat, who speaks how it is regarding Trump and his republican supporters.

Pity there are no republicans, apart from a few maybe, who would speak honestly about how it is with Trump.

In the first video an emotional and humane man…

In the second he speaks for a few minutes, half the video, and shows his mettle…

1 Like

deleted

Possibly the last Jan 6 Committee Meeting is due today at 6 pm (UK time) on BBC TV.

or on YouTube… .