Update from May

Well - heres my update after my first post back in May.
We did it :blush:
Took the leap . . . and now we’re here!
A bit battered and bruised from the steep learning curve - & anticipating the many more mild curves and extreme chicanes to come!!
So far we havent come across ANY other Brits in our local region - which isn’t really a problem as we didn’t move to France to be part of a British enclave! But sometimes it would be good to know there were ‘locals’ who may be able to help with some of the seemingly never ending questions we keep generating!!
The lovely locals all seem to be fully aware of who we are though even when we try to keep a low profile - gotta love rural areas!!!
We are in NW Cantal 15400, between Riom es Montagnes and Bort les Orgues in Correze.
Anyone else in this gorgeous part of France?

4 Likes

I drive past you on the A89 every 6 weeks or so :slightly_smiling_face:

We’re just off the D3
Will wave next time you pass :blush:

1 Like

Well done :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome Deby ! Unfortunately the nearest we get to Cantal is eating the cheese. Nice.

I have to say- both major local cheeses are magnificent. But cant help missing a nice bit of Wensleydale or a sharp mature cheddar!!

1 Like

:blush: Thanks

I love Wensleydale and Caerphilly.
The French don’t make a crumbly hard cheese.
But the best is creamy Lancashire!

A welcome from me too @Debyweir , I used to pass your way quite frequently in my dog travelling days. :smiley:

@Jane_Williamson Cantal Vieux comes close and is very strong, a bit like the Canadian Cheddar Fran used to buy, and the other day when the butcher had no Cantal, he gave me something similar which was very crumbly, but I didn’t catch the name. But the supermarket has nothing other than soft, sticky stuff, only a desperate port in a storm. :wink: :smiley:

The other main cheese is Salers. The Tradition is the best. Generally Salers is made from Cantal cows milk taken when they are out in the fields, eating fresh grass and Cantal is made from the same cows milk, but when they are fed hay during the winter months. I love Salers, and it can be quite crumbly when mature. Do try it if you like Cantal Vieux

4 Likes

also quite a difference in cheeses… between raw and pasteurised milk…

a wonderful learning-curve, investigating all the cheeses around France. yummy.

1 Like

Salers is made with the summer milk.
For me it is not a substitute for the British crumbly cheeses.
Creamy Lancashire from Lancaster indoor market with oatcakes!

1 Like

I do enjoy brebis cheese… freshly made… really delicious and a nice change from goats cheese.

We’re on the other side of the mountain, near Issoire (63500). The Puy-de-Dôme side has a significantly larger proportion of native English speaking nationals, due in no small part to the presence of Michelin and its expat community, and a half-decent rugby team with Australian, South African, New Zealand and players from the British Isles.

The local cheese have, much to my cardiologist’s chagrin, formed part of my staple cheese diet since I first moved here. Some things are too good to give up !

1 Like

Yes, Salers is from the milk when they eat fresh grass, in the summer months. As a lancashire lad, I adore a real crumbly, slightly sour lancashire cheese. One that absolutely refuses to melt properly, no matter what .

Just tried a new French cheese tonight. Hard cheese with a really strong nutty flavour, but with a grainy texture reminiscent of parmesan. Sitting up in bed at the mo, and can’t be arsed to go to the fridge to remember what it’s called. I’ll have it again though.

Is it Sbrinz? Mind you that is Swiss.

No, it’s called Mont Cayol. It’s from Jurançon neat Pau.

1 Like

Note to self: never introduce the subject of cheese into somebody else’s thread.

5 Likes