What Brexit Could Mean For Us Expats

Her passport says she was Colonial Irish. Her parents moved there from Dublin before Ireland became independant so I have no clue how that worked :slight_smile:

My son was born in France but he’s still British - though I can claim French nationality for him when he is 13.

Thanks for this comment John - I’m glad to see l am not the only one who thought this - Although you put it far more eloquently than l ever could. You also got a concession from Stella - Bravo!

Something to be approached with caution, perhaps, if Macron brings back compulsory National Service.

1 Like

I doubt a month of national service would faze him.

3 Likes

@Dan_Wood

:grinning::rofl::joy: not sure when simply being helpful became a “concession” :grinning::smile::thinking:

I spent time with 6 year old kids at school this morning… and now I come back to read your post… both have given me a really good laugh. :relaxed::joy::rofl:

cheers

4 Likes

I thought your first one was subtile Stella. I guess not being able to get the intonation hampers the interpretation or maybe my paranoia is coming back (joke).

You could always add “For the Avoidance of Doubt” to your expanded version.

Happy to be of service and see that you are changing your welcome message to one that will avoid “folk” like me and John suspecting something sinister. Thank you.

That’s interesting Debra. Is your Mum still with us? If so and she gets an Irish passport could you not also.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

Sinister?! Can we get back to the topic in hand please?

Why do l get the impression that l am being misrepresented - I did NOT use the word ‘sinister’ - l merely quoted stella - I do feel like l am being singled out here.

Ok great, can we just drop the subject or take it to private message please, it’s totally off topic?

1 Like

No, because her mum was Irish she can get one but because her mum wasn’t born on the Island of Ireland, I can’t. I could have if my mum had got her citizenship before I was born (she would have had it automatically had her mum been born on the Island of Ireland). So my mum could be safe from some brexit effects if she decides to apply - though personally I think she will be pretty safe anyway. (Yes, she’s still with us and lives in Normandy).

If your parent was Irish at the time of your birth you can become Irish if not born there but if it’s your grandparent who was Irish they have to have been born on the Island of Ireland or your parent has to have had their birth registered in the foreign births register and claimed Irish Citizenship before you were born for you to be able to claim it too.

@Dan Wood May i ask you politely if you could add a photo of yourself it is much better to see who we are talking to on line. Many thanks to you Dan

1 Like

Hello Carol - I would think James thinks this off topic as l do. But l would be very interested to know if you have made the same request of the below mentioned members or have you just singled me out?
JANE JONES
MARTIN GRAY
SIMON ARMSTRONG
ANNA WATSON
POPPY JONES
DEBBY WADE
GLEN BEAVIS
PAUL FLINDERS
ANREA KIRKBY
GRAHAME PIGNEY
TIM BURTON
DAVE HUDDART
PATRICK OBRIEN
TIMOTHY COLE
CLAUDIA BAWDEN
CHRISTOPHER HAMILTON
LAWRENCE MCNAMARA
HARRY FAWCETT

Ok, off topic and I am prepared to be ticked off here by admin; et all … but Dan quite honestly I can’t be arsed with your attitude of conspiracy theories and being’singled out’ when people are trying to be perfectly pleasant with you.
This forum is a great site and I enjoy it and it has helped me and countless others but you seem intent on proving something that seems to exist only in your head. That’s my opinion anyway !

9 Likes

@Dan Wood quite honestly Dan no i didn’t single you out ,maybe because you have a pleasant style of expressing yourself.i thought while writing it would be nice to see this gentleman face.but if you are against the fact of putting a little photo i don’t mind as i have lots of imagination and i will IMAGINE what you look like.thanks for answering anyway.have a nice afternoon. Bye
NB yes it was off topic excuse me James Next time i will do better.

2 Likes

And you are rightly entitled to that opinion without being ticked off by anyone - Have a nice day.

1 Like

thank you Dan very much appreciated. :kissing::neutral_face:have a lovely afternoon:

1 Like

“Nothing greed until everything is agreed”

I don’ know about you but that light at the end of the tunnel seems to grow smaller with every new ‘Brexit’ announcement!

I can’t say I see the problem.

The full text of the draft agreement document is here

and it seems to me to provide a great deal of clarification, I can’t see anything that isn’t covered.

As regards continuing unrestricted freedom of movement for Brits living in the EU after Brexit, I thought the UK had asked for this but it had been deemed to fall outside of the agreement? I could be wrong on that but it should be easy enough to check the previous agreements which are all on the website.

2 Likes