Where are you from and where did you move to in France?

Welcome to Survive France @Ulrikeb !

From, Southwold, Suffolk. Moved to France in 2015 live in Locarn 22340.

2 Likes

Kate (British) = Born and grew up in the UK (Southampton), left England at age 18 for South Africa, spent next 20 years in Lesotho where she met John.

John (French) = born in Vietnam, evacuated by Red Cross to France with parents at the end of WWII. Left France with parents for Liberia at age 10, lived there for the next 25 years. Left for France then returned to West Africa (Nigeria), then Lesotho where he met Kate.

We got married in South Africa where we farmed. Left for the UK in 1999, then started to travel the world. We are now retired in the south of France (near AlĆØs in the Gard).

1 Like

Manchester born, Salford and N Wales educated. Following a 23 year career in the RAF: Hong Kong, Berlin, Melbourne and Singapore. Retired to Cyprus 7 years, then Italian South Tirol, back to UK then Charante in 2006, Lot et Garonne in 2007. Alsace 2015 for one year then back to Lot et Garonne, where hopefully am now up against the buffers with my Alsatian partner.

1 Like

hello andrew do you still have your own business i live near annecy and looking for work im 45 small family and french girlfriend ,im a capable chap dont speak a lot of french but still learning , from yorkshire origonaly i like boulles and chess voila

Bonjourā€¦I know you posted some months ago so just to say I passed thru Gray on my way to Allemagne on a beautiful day 1 Sepā€™15 & sat watching all the swans near what looked like a lock? on the very wide river with white buildings in the backdrop so a very happy memorable day in Gray.

Hi there,
Iā€™m a native of California and will be moving to the Drome (Puygiron) in the nearish future to be with my husband. I was happy to find this site and am learning a few different things ahead of my move. Thank you all for sharing your detailed experiences!

3 Likes

I am originally from Yorkshire and I moved to France and lived there for 3 years. Recently I had a change of heart and decided to move back to the UK, worked in Manchester for a year and decided to go back to France but after 4 months I am having doubts again and I am tempted to try Londonā€¦I feel like Iā€™m always going between countries and canā€™t settle! It is really interesting to read everyoneā€™s experiences.

No problem with trying different things, Maria! Until I hit the big 4-0 the longest Iā€™d ever lived in one place and/or kept the same job was 3 years, and mostly less. And then finally, and quite suddenly, the itch seemed to fade, I lived in my last house in the UK for nearly 10 years, and been here for 10 years too.

1 Like

Hi Mariaā€¦ welcome to the Forum.

Please could you amend your Registration pageā€¦to show your full name.
Thanksā€¦

psā€¦ if you cannot do that, simply post your full name hereā€¦ and I will amend it fo you.

1 Like

Hi Anna,
It was interesting and reassuring to read your reply. I really would like some stability but I just canā€™t seem to get there yet. I feel like people probably think Iā€™m insane as I went from France to the UK and now after 4 months or so in France, I want to go back to the UK!

Why insane? I assume youā€™re relatively young still and you enjoy new experiences. Even if they donā€™t all live up to expectations, youā€™ll likely have learned something from them that you would never have learned if youā€™d stayed in one place all your life. Maybe something about yourself, maybe something about other people and places. Lifeā€™s about learning.

2 Likes

Iā€™m 27 :slight_smile: I donā€™t know, perhaps insane is too strong a word but my family seem to think that I should be settling down, in one place, getting a house, getting married and that kind of thing. That is what I want but I want to make sure Iā€™m in the right place first!

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m from the US and am in the process of moving to Sancerre. Cheers

I love your interesting story and how you told it. Nice to hear youā€™re in France now and going for the gold, as I like to say. Iā€™m working on getting my Fr citizenship while still here in L.A. (French hubby). We plan to move within months/1 year. He has big. (wonderful), family in the south near MontĆ©limar. So excited! Finally weā€™re in the home stretch, Iā€™ve wanted this soooooooo long :dancing_women:

1 Like

Wishing you both every success and happiness.
Thank you for your interest in my story.
Iā€™m happy to say my naturalisation came through in November 2016. So thrilling it was and a pleasure celebrated more than once, official and unoffical, followed by a flurry of applications from others in the village. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find it equally delightful when yours comes through.

I was born in Sheffield Yorkshire in 1943 .Moved to Bedfordshire for my fathers work when i was 13 , In 1966 met my future husband in Paris when I was on holiday with my nursing friends in May 1966. Moved to Paris in August of the same year and we were married in December 1966, and became a french national just after our wedding. after which my husband was based in Tahiti and we spent three wonderful years there. Now we live in the north of Paris in the vexin we have been here for 44 years. married for 52 years.

7 Likes

Even though you are 30 now, you are still young!! When you get to my age (2 x 30) you will realise itā€™s true!!

1 Like

Notts, UK, uni in Hull, worked in London for years, bumped my head and moved to the Gard. :wink:

Joking aside, when my daughter was born we decided to move away from London and didnā€™t limit our options to the home counties. Ended up touring Italy, France and Spain speaking to people and looking for a place to settle. In the end France ā€œwonā€ as a country and UzĆØs captured our hearts as a town.

1 Like

Weā€™re coming to UzĆØs on holiday next Friday Greg - any recommendations - restaurants, visits, etc?