Which areas in France do the Dutch like to live

1 Like

My issue wasn’t with the nature of your post particularly, but how the heading read

Lighten up for Pete’s sake Jackie.

There’s nothing nasty or racist here, just normal people having their say.

1 Like

The same with us Jane.
I have dutch friends here in the Clunysois, which is quite international, really based in Cluny than the countryside.

I most certainly am not being disingenuous and please do not presume to tell me what I am or how I think.

Thanks you for saying that, I don’t know why people are being so personal.

1 Like

I last bought Dutch smoked gouda cheese (very nice) at the market in Cluny…

A local Dutch-speaking estate agent is often an attraction for Dutch people.

And not just for the Dutch. There was a moment when we wondered whether we should move (we didn’t) and I found this really helpful Dutch estate agent who took me round several properties in a part of France we didn’t know. Their descriptions of their properties were much more detailed and inviting than the French agents’ I looked at for the same area.

You have been busy buying our gooodies.
I remember you going to the smokery in St Gengoux le National.
I like the gouda with cumin.

Oh no! Smells of armpits.

No it tastes of cumin.

Our friends have moved closer to Macon (which has different delights), but they have many friends in Cluny so we still have a few trips there in normal years…so thankfully good smoked haddock is still on the menu.!

Have you been to the Lamartine?
It is the oldest restaurant in Macon. It is not renowned for wonderful food, but it is good for lunchtime.
It just looks all the rest on the promenade with its cabin on the front, but inside it is amazing and the loos are all marble and mahogany.

Very good! The Dutch often speak very good English so the house hunters also like English estate agents.

We have a Dutch owned holiday / camping complex in La Romieu 32. Usually lots of Dutch and not so many Brits. Not many of either this year of course, and that suits me just fine. I find their language sounds quite weird from some of them, but I prefer the sound of German. After all my first proper girlfriend was German. She taught me a lot: not just German.

2 Likes

Not in the south/central part of the Auvergne ^^
I say that, although have to admit that two of the largest rural campsites in the area near us are run by Dutch families, but essentially only summer month occupancy. Full-time Dutch residents seem thin on the ground around here, or maybe they just keep themselves to themselves and get on with their lives.

We live in the Haute Vienne, we have lots of Dutch neighbours and a fabulous Chateau campsite run by a lovely Dutch couple. As Holland is rather flat I think the mountains appeal to them, as the do to me. Delighted to count such fun loving people as friends.

3 Likes

Well said, Irene. I agree with you. I’m not sure whether this thread was intended to be tongue-in-cheek (especially as the original title of the thread was “The best place in france without lots of Dutch people”), but it has a sense of “I’m not racist… some of my best friends are black” about it, which leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth.

6 Likes

Astonishing question …

1 Like