Why does the Royal family need so much money?

Many of us SF have taken responsibility for our own health care…
Paying taxes for it here and insurance policies too…saving our country UK
money…I hope it is appreciated…I doubt it.

True, but I believe that those with an SI have their treatment reimbursed by the UK government Barbara. Do you have an S1 ?

1 Like

been running a business and pay to RS1

remind me of what the S1 is…thanks?

1 Like

NO the UK gov does not pay for our health cover.

If you are living in an EEA country or Switzerland and you receive an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 form.

However, if, in addition to your UK pension, you also receive a pension from the country in which you now live, that country will be responsible for your healthcare and an S1 will not be applicable. If you receive your UK pension as well as a pension from an EU member state, but are now living in a different EU state, the country to which you paid contributions toward your pension for the longest period becomes responsible for your healthcare.

For exportable UK pensions and contribution-based Employment Support Allowance, you can apply for your form via the Overseas Healthcare Team in the Department for Work and Pensions on 0191 218 1999.

You may need to liaise with a different team, depending on the exportable benefit. GOV.UK has more information on Claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad. You may also wish to speak to the Exportability Team. Please note that different exportable benefits can have different rules in terms of healthcare cover.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the relevant authority in your country of residence. Often you need to do this before you can register for healthcare or obtain a medical card.

Once you have registered your S1 in the country you are moving to, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries.

Thanks for the info but why are you telling me this?
If you are a taxpayer in France your cotistations cover your
health cover why would I apply for an S1?
Maybe I am missing something?
How will an S1 help when Bexit comes around?

I think it’s you who are missing something, you asked to be reminded what an S1 was, I did so.

Yes I said “Am I missing something” Yes ok.
But an S1 does not apply to those paying tax here.
Things on my mind…

Don’t confuse tax with social charges Barbara.

NO pay them both Tim.We have a nice French accountant and we meet up each
may and make a full decleration.

1 Like

That’s great Barbara… so will you be getting a pension from the French Government when you reach retirement age??

Well it all works out in accordance with how many thremesters you have worked.
And we operate only in summer months.
The amount will be tiny…
But if not accepted immediately…goes up each year.

Hi Barbara,

I think the conversation has diversified from the original OP. I don’t personally mind ( or care), but it becomes very confusing when all sorts of unrelated issues in the modern world become quoted / associated with the original, when not really related to it at all.

Some people may think that is ok to brush them away…and rather they were. Others would like them cared for and housed, ( which i think was another thread within this one somewhere).
Personally I do not think they should be swept under the carpet no… and interesting fact that Tim brought up …that the person labelled a hero, was in fact a disgusting person, thieving from dead and injured.

I am not a Royalist per se; but I do believe they contribute generally to the UK tourism - well London anyway…and no it is not just a media hike to show something that isn’t.

Barbara as you appear to know what the essentials for living are, (other than food, water and heat) please tell me what they are. You’ve not managed to tell me what the threshold would be in defining those who would be deemed to be rich.

it would not be my job to define what is adequate as living essential as I do not work
for the gov and certainly not for this Tory mob.
But a home for 2 min bedsit, kitchen and bathroom in reasonable order repair wise.
Rented is an option.
Simple furnishings to include a normal size TV a certain amount of entertainment is
important…
3 simple meals per day perishables stored in a fridge.
small car for getting around.
Telephone…simple land line and mobile/shared between the couple.
Basic clothing …certainly not designer clothes.
A week away visiting the family in Uk
a week away in another country by plain and staying in a 3 star hotel.
Some money put aside for occasional local fete or celebrations.
Enough income to pay for the insurance cover and utilities.
Simplicty.
Rich …or perhaps wealthy enough not to miss 10% of their income.
Rich ,someone who will gladly help others.

I may be reading this wrong but do you suggest that essentials are a car, flying to another country and staying in a 3 star hotel for a holiday, and a mobile 'phone ? Or are you saying that these are your essentials Barbara ?

Normal basic life.
Most people seem to have more than one car per couple.
Several holidays a year.
Go to restaurants often.
Buy fairly exspensive clothes and furnishings.
For my essentials,or let us say what I desire I
can say that I have worked for them, paid my taxes.
i describe this a living…not existing.

Well my idea of a ‘normal’ life is far from yours Barbara . Most people," who are these people", I don’t know people who have more than one car per couple, who take several holidays a year, go to restaurants often and have expensive clothes and furnishings. Not essential in my view…

1 Like

Not essential for me either.
But people who have relatives want to be able to see them occasionaly
it is normal.
But essential is that people have some treats and things which make them
happy.
Life without some fun punctautions this makes for a miserable and un healthy
life.
Friendship and animal friends essential for me.

Ann tell me about your life.

Barbara…

Basic Normal Life:

Having a warm, safe place to live
Not going hungry
Getting medical attention when necessary
Having suitable clothing (no, I do not mean designer stuff)
Having enough money to pay basics, rent, heat,light, food

Anything more is just trappings, non-essentials… although we may spend our money on them if we choose…and if we have the money… but they are not essential.

I heartily agree with you about Friendships. Very important. Having friends and getting joy out of the simple things…that is perhaps what makes one rich. :wink:

1 Like