Why is Alcohol a necessary grocery item?

Years ago we visited a neighbour in hospital recovering from a serious accident. He already had a visitor, an elderly man, who, on leaving, surreptitiously passed the patient a bottle-shaped brown paper parcel which quickly went into the bedside cabinet. I reckon our grapes were pale in comparison.

A day without whiskey is decidedly riskyšŸ˜

3 Likes

A day without Merlot?
No choice Iā€™m on furlough.

4 Likes

A day without red?
May as well stay in bed.

4 Likes

I do not understand why somebody is accused of being anti-social in some way and issued with a threat to ban them from the site simply because they make a point that not everybody needs alcohol.
We are generally all brought up to accept that it is normal social behaviour to drink alcohol but whether you choose to use it as a survival tool or not it is blindingly obvious that pouring poison down your throat on a regular basis does us no good at all no matter what arguments we use to convince ourselves.
If shooting up heroin had become the norm in our society instead we would all be doing that with gay abandon and looking pityingly at alcohol users.
Alcohol is just another drug which has become socially acceptable so no matter how much we ā€˜thinkā€™ we are in control of our consumption just accept that we are using. Even if you only have one or two G and Tā€™s a day you likely have an addiction. Medically called ā€˜maintenance alcoholicā€™.
It is interesting to note that between 50 and 60% of the worlds population de not need alcohol to get by so there is no reason to berate somebody on here who is actually in the majority.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not a threat to ban the OP, itā€™s a comment to everyone

2 Likes

@letstryagain Perhaps worth remembering though, there but for the grace of God go I.

2 Likes

Point 2 may not have been ā€˜solelyā€™ directed but whatever you say it was still directed otherwise why make it.
I have seen far more contentious arguments on this site that have passed unchallenged.
I suppose I am simply defending freedom of speechā€¦all the rage.

Frankly, I do not see how this impacts on the point I was making.

Perhaps @Cat just thought it was time for a reminder

1 Like

Iā€™ll accept that Eddie.

2 Likes

I donā€™t drink alcohol, (I donā€™t particularly like it, I donā€™t drink fruit juice or sodas or any of that sort of thing either) that doesnā€™t entitle me to have a fit of the vapours because it is possible for people to buy and consume a legally available substance which fits into the broad definition of food.
I donā€™t smoke either, does that mean I should be horrified tabacs are open? Of course not. Chacun son truc.

3 Likes

This is the painful truth, a nerve or two is being touched here. Brave man you are :+1:

(not sure about the accusation side of it though, it seemed even handed to me,) no offence

I canā€™t find anyone being threatened.

I think you might have misunderstood a postā€¦
As @Eddie suggests.

:thinking: :roll_eyes:

Because it is my site and I can choose to do so.

In this case, I felt, as someone else (@Eddie?) wondered, that it was time for a timely reminder.

2 Likes

Well as you say it is obvious that I touched a nerve boilerman.

With all due respect Annie, hic, that a shoopid post, hic.

Plushā€¦ youā€™ll be barking mad by the time this is all overā€¦ hic, burp, stagger.

1 Like

I felt that there was a hint of ā€œwhy donā€™t you just pull yourself together and stopā€. I think those of us who are not addictive personalities are fortunate. Addiction rarely is a life choice. I was born into a family where addiction to alcohol is within the gene pool. I am fortunate in that alcohol gives me migraines, so I rarely if ever drink. Hence there but for the grace of God.

6 Likes

With this confinement weā€™re all having give up things Damian. Iā€™ve decided to give up being judgemental about others peopleā€™s habits (not that I ever was) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I understand what you and others are saying spj. My initial posting was not to moralize or pontificate but simply to support another member who most obviously has tenets which are contrary to the majority.
I am well aware of the horrors of alcohol through personal and family experience and the tragic deaths of several friends. On reflection therefore, and although usually conciliatory by nature, I feel that I have every right to expound my personal thoughts even if it so obviuously upsets so many people.
We do have freedom of choice and who am I to determine which life choices each individual makes. Nonetheless, as my comments obviously raised such indignation I would be interested to see if several parties on here would mount such a righteous defence of smokers, dopeheads, smackheads, junkies and stoners.