Why we must support Brexit

At least you are consistent.

1 Like

Sorry, I started this conversation. Sorry, I dared to think differently. I realise itā€™s a crime these days. Sorry I wasted so much time just trying to explain myself. Good luck to you all - Iā€™m checking out of this asylum.

Sorry Elaine but dummy spitting because people donā€™t agree with you will not do anything to further your cause. Neither does accusing people of bullying when they dare to hold a different opinion

And has for describing this forum as an asylum , Dog help you if you venture into other places out there

7 Likes

At least itā€™s quite an upmarket and fairly exclusive asylum.

9 Likes

Lose any more members Cat and it certainly will be exclusive.:wink:

3 Likes

Well I for one totally endorse Catherineā€™s quip. I feel privileged to be amongst such high brow company. It is refreshing to be able to have mature, intelligent conversation amongst people who for the most part ā€˜get itā€™ even if opinions differā€¦

1 Like

According to the ā€œaboutā€ page there are 12,100 users with 22 new in the last 7 and 97 new in the last 30 days.

1 Like

If thatā€™s true Paul then the number of active members to members ratio is pants.

That is true of most internet forums (fora?) - the stats say 324 active users in the last 7 days and 615 over the last 30.

To be fair itā€™s the same on most( if not all )forums

Hardly dummy spitting! Just a refusal to waste any more time going around in circles trying to explain the fact that I believe that you cannot blame one single party for the mess. If thatā€™s seen as dummy spitting then I really am best out of here!

1 Like

Yes, I am consistent because they are my beliefs. They clearly clash with yours so lets stop wasting time arguing. You will never change my opinion and I will never change yours and that was never my intention. So letā€™s end it here.

But you were saying the same things two years ago, in your opinion the EU had to give way then and they have to give way now. You havenā€™t once explained why you think that is necessary or suggested a way that they could do so without harming themselves. Just in case youā€™ve forgotten, itā€™s Britain thatā€™s decided to leave, itā€™s Britain that needs to get on with it, the EU has more important considerations and the future to look forward to.

1 Like

Not blaming one party is fine - the EU has certainly played a part from its blindness over the problems that FoM can cause to its pressure on the UK to invoke Article 50 immediately after the referendum - at that point we should have said ā€œwill do, when we are good and readyā€ and got our ducks in a row first.

But May has made tactical blunder after tactical blunder (too hard too early with her ā€œred linesā€ - limiting her options now, humiliation in the needless general election, sticking too stubbornly to the Chequers agreement when it was obvious that the EU were not going to agree to it).

But, to make your case it helps to make specific points rather than general statements. How, for instance, might or should the EU offer us more flexibility?

The EU confers certain advantages, but to get them you need to stick to some rules, the UK doesnā€™t like the rules and wants to leave. Fine, off it goes.

Its quite sad if either people in favour or against Brexit can never change their mind, it suggests someoneā€™s mind is closed off to reasoned discussion and/or new information.

I have absolutely no issue with changing my mind having received new information, and I surpose that that is the main issue with discussions regarding Brexit at the moment - there are very few (or no) facts right now as nothing has been agreed.

The next couple of months will hopefully shed more light on what is proposed.

I would like to see another referendum once a lot more information is available - as only with the full picture will people be able to definitively decide if they are pro or anti the actual terms of Brexit.

3 Likes

Great craic, Mark! Do I qualify on the basis of that remark? :ireland::nauseated_face::green_heart::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The EU needs reform BUT has been hugely beneficial for the UK and for many members of SFN including myself as itā€™s meant a seemless move to another country without much hassle. IMO itā€™s now got too big and the original idea (a common market) seems to have been lost along the way. I would much prefer the UK remain a member and push for reform from within and believe many other countries are also unhappy with where the EU is headed.

I respect those that voted Leave but do wish that they would acknowledge that leaving is a gamble that could backfire just as well as it could succeed.

3 Likes

With rumours of another General Election this news may be very very interesting. It could swing voters towards Labour and even I would vote for a Labour government if they agreed to a new referendum/peopleā€™s vote.

Iā€™ve said all along, and I will whisper it very quietly now, Brexit will never happen!!

2 Likes