Why we must support Brexit

The Ukippers banged on an awful lot about how they wanted their country back. Me too. I want my country back, you remember it, the self effacing, tolerant, welcoming, slightly eccentric and a bit obsessed with tea one because the one we have at the moment feels like some kind of dystopian nightmare.

4 Likes

Thank you for that. Interesting, brief and informative.

1 Like

Once the fur has stopped flying and more reasoned debate taken place, I am sure the EU and the UK will work out most of their differences and calm down a bit. Like in most of these EU deals, it will be done in the final 24 hours and at the dead of night. I am sure there are those in the EU, who are fed with the UK always being the ā€˜odd man outā€™. Never willing to be fully committed to the EU dream machine. So they will be happy to see us go. Likewise there is feeling in the UK that Junker and his EU mandarins are getting to be to powerful for their own good. Forty years ago Ted Heath took the UK into the EEC, via the Treaty of Rome basically a trading treaty. Over the years the then EEC grew like Toppsie into a multi-national bloc and morphed into the mighty EU. The UK and the EU will I am sure still be friends, the UK will be free to control its borders and negotiate its own trade deals at will without the fetters of Brussels around its ankles.

5 Likes

Do they pay Markā€™s healthcare? Only those with a UK state pension get an S1 and Markā€™s youthful good looks wouldnā€™t support that theory.

I remember our CEO telling us that he didnā€™t care how hard we had pushed the rock, but how far we had moved it! I suppose it was fair at the time because the company was tanking and a lot of folk were just hiding behind their rocks :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone

It seems that some of Replies are getting out of synchā€¦soā€¦ might be an idea to read the complete Thread before typingā€¦

Ooooooooo bit prissy David.

There are many other cases as well, poor Derek Bentley for example. The Guilford four, the Birmingham six and the Maguire seven could have been others. Itā€™s easy to allow visceral anger and revenge to rule oneā€™s head when one reads of terrible crimes but I canā€™t support the death penalty as a part of a civilised dociety.

1 Like

Whoops Helen. Maybe we could have your views on where political correctness ends and freedom of speech starts.

Thereā€™s a huge difference between free speech and hate speech. Iā€™m sad to say that Iā€™ve seen far too many people using the term ā€˜political correctness gone madā€™ when what they mean is that they are fed up of not being allowed to express racist or misogynistic views. Those kind of things are not ok. Disagreements are fine, but treat people with respect.

2 Likes

Youā€™re not allowed say that Stella :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I have to disagree. Hate speech is covered by all sorts laws, moderation, etc. PC is being afraid to say anything in case it might offend someone and there are queues of people just waiting to be offended.

3 Likes

I think thereā€™s a real difference between expressing an opinion that may be unpopular or just gratuitious offence though. If someone says ā€œI donā€™t agree with X religionā€, itā€™s not the same as saying ā€œall believers in X religion are vile/a danger to society etcā€. You could be offended by the first, but most rational people wouldnā€™t be.

1 Like

The Torygraph ā€œstab in the backā€ article by Boris yesterday has livened things up IMO. I think May should have fired him at dawn. When youā€™re in the middle of critical negotiations the last thing you need is one of the team doing a solo run, particularly if theyā€™re the devious village idiot after your job. Any views?

2 Likes

It is quite beyond me that anyone thought he was a good choice for Foreign Secretary. I got nothing.

1 Like

Hi John,

She is too weak to fire him and itā€™s probably what he would like her to do. He would become the ā€˜heroā€™ to some of the Britexit, nut jobs in the Conservatives Party.

Martin

1 Like

Sure, maybe if you live in the Scottish highlands. Anywhere else and youā€™re way wide of the mark.

The only country in Western Europe with a higher population density than the UK is Belgium.

1 Like

For almost 2 decades I have been part of a team building huge IT Systems to handle trade like that. Future will show if you can go back in time :smirk:

1 Like

Damned if she does and damned if she doesnā€™t, eh? One has to admit heā€™s a clever bast@#d. I must agree with Eddie Mairā€™s assessment, heā€™s a nasty piece of work.

1 Like

Yes, thereā€™s a lot more to his appointment than I understand.