Why we must support Brexit

Helen, perhaps you ought to reread my post. I do not like political correctness but I cannot see why you feel that you can accuse me of being “upset that it isn’t still the 1970’s and you can’t openly insult women and ethnic minorities anymore with impunity”, Where in my post have I given that impression? Where have I made "hate speech?"
Political correctness in my view is not about not offending people. It is about being forced to modify tradition to avoid what some official thinks may offend others. My angst at this trend is not aimed at anyone other than the idiots who think they know the minds of others & force change where it is not necessary thus creating ill feeling where none existed before.
A prime example of this was the “rebranding” of Christmas by do-gooders on committees. This from the Independent in 2014 -
!Only a third of schools go for the full traditional Nativity, according to the survey. Some prefer “winter celebrations”, or replace carols with pop songs.

Who are they frightened of offending? Most atheists I know seem perfectly willing to tolerate what they see as a fairy story, as long as their child gets to play Mary or Joseph (or the Angel Gabriel – that’s the real glamour part).

The Muslim Council of Great Britain has made it clear where it thinks the followers of Islam stand, by adapting a famous, fashionable wartime poster to say: “Keep Calm, It’s Christmas”. This was released with the words: “Who wants to ban Christmas? Not Muslims. None of us will be offended if you go ahead and enjoy the Christmas cheer.”

I do agree with treating people with respect. Do you?

Hmmm have any of you looked at the Brexit sites in the UK. Riddled with hate to anyone they dont see as English but mostly against workers from EU countries or anyone wearing a burka.Listen to Question time on BBC R 4 to hear some of the comments. People demanding Brexit now. Then look at some of the things that are going or likly to go if we have the cliff edge. Customs problems, air travel disrupted, electric supply, imports damaged for cancer and other cures. police and security cooperation damaged, and so much more. But Hey Ho its the will of the people even if the referendom was rigged to remove many pro voters. I guess the EU sees life with out the UK as an easier path ahead,after all we have spent the last 40 years trying to hold it back and dont forget we wun the war so we are superier to all them forigners. Quite a common belief here. I am stuck here for family reasons but cant wait to get back to France even with its faults

4 Likes

Mark, I have explained where my views on ‘political correctness’ lie and how people abuse others in its name. I apologise for my comment to you, I was out of order with that and it was a knee jerk reaction to a subject that I fine quite upsetting. I hate seeing what is happening in this country lately. It’s like turning the clock back 40 years when casual racism was the norm. I think we should be better than that.

3 Likes

Thank you, Helen. I understand your strength of feeling!
The phrase “political correctness” covers so much more than racism nowadays & it is some of the rules introduced by officials which stir up ill feeling rather than supress it that makes me despise the phrase. Racism should not be tolerated anyway.

2 Likes

You are probably right but a single nation with a second rate manufacturing base will not be able to negotiate advantageous trade deals with major world powers.

1 Like

Political correctness…if that’s what you call behaving in such a way that respects other people’s behaviour and beliefs, then I’m all for it. Unfortunately, there are still people who find that very difficult to do.
The acid test? If you find Jim Davidson in any way amusing, then perhaps you need a little PC in your life.

1 Like

Perhaps that will change as they are now seeking a woman wearing a nicab in connection with the Parsons Green train bomb.
Perhaps all people will have to reveal their identity at all times and burquah’s and nicabs will, at last be banned.
Not before time.

1 Like

I think that the problem with political correctness is not the concept itself, but rather the excesses thereof.
I mean is there really anyone who is seriously offended by someone saying that it will be a black day when a person gets a black mark for writing on a black board that someone was the black sheep of the family ? Such remarks are surely just English people speaking English in a traditional English way with no particular offence intended, and perhaps those of different ethnic origins should learn to better understand this particular aspect of Englishness.

3 Likes

It’s good to talk. Get me on the first rocket to Mars, Mr Musk…or Branson…or whoever.

1. Go outside in thr Uk and look. When I lived in the UK I walked in East Sussex a bit. Outside of the coast it is very lightly populated. My friends in Belgium live in an area that looks rural to me. But those who live in urban areas always think that the world is overcrowded.
    2, As to your specious claims about housing and the NHS and, no doubt schools and doctors, I am yet to be provided with any specific examples. The perceived problems arise from the UK’s refusal to support public service. Indeed they seem to take sadistic pleasure in giving themselves pain by reducing the number of revenue and police officials. You provide no real or factual examples.

You are not aware of your problem, or are not prepared to face it. Foreigners are not the cause of the UK’s problem, it is of the populations own making.

1 Like

Go walk in the Pennines, the lake district, West Yorkshire, or even East Sussex, there is still a lot of empty space. The use of averages to prove a point is statistical illiteracy and ends with the ludicrous proof that Dunkirk has a warmer winter than Palermo, and that Italy has a colder winter than France.

@Poons

I’m just wondering when you last visited UK and how much you spent time travelling around.

Each year, I am astounded to see how much open space around towns and villages… is eaten up… vanished under concrete. Many places that I once knew (blindfolded almost) are now almost unrecognisable and OH was mortified last year when he got himself totally lost…:anguished: … only a few miles from our old home.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you Stella. I think it depends on where you are comparing.Perhaps the planning madness has not caught up with East Sussex yet, but the town in which I used to live has countless new developments and has changed beyond all recognition. Gone are the green fields and anywhere else you could possibly squeeze (shoe horn) in a new property or two or maybe three!! In June this year there was a proposal to build an additional 1000 homes on what was once a favourite walking spot. The town centre has always had a history of being grid locked at rush hour and continues to be so but has it stopped the endless flow of planning applications? Absolutely not. Can I find my way around an area that I used to know like the back of my hand ? No chance. Any landmarks that I once knew are either gone or now hidden behind the blight of new houses.

1 Like

2016 we holidayed… 2 weeks in Devon… changed beyond belief from when I lived there as a teenager… ok some years ago… but :frowning_face:

and as for Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk… which were my stamping grounds for over 40 years…as a flowerpower hippy, then a more sedate Mum.

and the Lakes… where my Dad booked a holiday cottage for over 20 years…well, 'nuff said…

I need to think calm thoughts to raise my spirits…:relaxed:

Hi Peter… no always about rewinding time… it’s more often about…

How did they get permissions for that??..

What have they done ?? … Why have they done it?? …

How is that better for folk??..

I was a Local Councillor in UK for many years… and whilst we were not against progress, we fought for what we thought was right/reasonable. We won some arguments/appeals etc… but not very often. (not often enough in my view).

@Twitstalker

I have hidden your Post… please will you amend your registration page to show your full name. This is a friendly forum and we all like to know with whom we are talking/sparring…:relaxed:

1 Like

I have not walked in East sussex now for over 12 years but when I still lived there I was my delight to work out a circular route of a few miles to walk them. I accept that urban areas have grown, people need somewhere to live, but to pretend that the UK has been concreted over is foolish. In another world I worked for a bus company in East Sussex, outside of the South Coast it was not worth running a service as there was not enough demand to make a profit.
Stop looking for reasons to dislike foreigners and blaming them for all the problems that the UK is suffering from. It is an irrational behaviour called xenophobia.

I am happy to admit that as a Londoner both sides of my family were immigrants, my name is Perou, of French origin, my mothers maiden name was Hart, Polish Jews.

2 Likes

@Poons

Please will you think before you write. If you really mean what you have written and it is not some awful typing error… then I would ask you to apologize.

I have described what I have seen happen to the UK countryside/towns/villages… I have not said anything about disliking foreigners and I have not blamed them (or anyone for that matter) etc etc. My behaviour is not irrational etc etc …

I take grave exception to your words.

However, being the kind and cheerful soul that I am, if you will have the good manners to apologize… I will accept same… and we can shake hands.:relaxed:

2 Likes

I literally do. I live up here in Westeros, I mean, Speyside :smiley:

Nope, no apologises. You chose to engage in a discussion which included the reduction in space available to the natives and you must accept what is said on the matter. I did not accuse you of being xenophobe but of the whole of the UK indulging itself in an orgy of xenophobia.
There is no good reason for the UK (at least none that I have been given) to leave the EU and to try to wreck my life, even to the extent that I read today "https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/18/british-expats-face-cliff-edge-in-pensions-and-insurance-after-brexit"
I will no longer play pat a cake with those who wish me ill and I intend to call a spade a 'bloody shovel’
If you support Brexit, then you are not my friend! Take exception.

2 Likes