Wild life in the garden, or around!

Thanks babeth…I wasn’t even certain how to begin a search…:heart:

No photos but once again bats in the bedroom …aghhh !

I have 2 species here in the grenier between the roof and insulation, I can live with that, but I don’t want them flying around my bedroom ! I have the Pipistrelle and some flaming great monsters. Yesterday evening at 11 pm there was a huge bat in the bottom of the bath, wings folded. I left it alone thinking that it would find it’s own way out ( also I didn’t want to touch it) cannot find where they get through.

At 3 am this morning there was a bat flying around the bed, ( makes a change from the 4 or 5 I get this time of the year) I opened the window, turned off all the lights and once again waited like a zombie until it departed.

At 5 am ish ( the time when the colony enters) there was the usual scrabbling around in the roof space, when I went for a pee the huge bat was still there and there was a pipistrelle clinging to my bedcovers ! :nauseated_face:

Disposable gloves (they do carry rabies) and a dustpan enabled me to gently get rid of the Pipistrelle, the monster in the bath was very weak but same treatment. I put them both in the interior of a shrub outside and left them to it! :dizzy_face:
Hesitating to go up there tonight …:weary:

3 Likes

I’ve stopped leaving the big windows open at night… now only leave open the windows which have mesh screens… and so far … no bats indoors… phew

I hadn’t thought about gloves… but using a bundled towel that they can cling to… has helped me to move them about.

Did you have bats in the bedroom (as well as the belfry) last summer??

Yes Stella I did have them last year, in fact I have them every summer, they stay quiet during the winter while they hibernate). My windows are the velux kind that swivel so I can’t put netting up (unless anyone here has another idea) or leave them open and it gets stifling up there.
Either I am getting more ‘sensitive’ or the bats, like the Frelons are getting bigger, it’s a bit like a horror film now !

1 Like

Aha… velux… we had them in UK… left them open and in came the bats… eeek

Only left the vent open from dusk to dawn after that…

2 Likes

We’ve got fly screen all over the house, since I nearly walk bare foot on a hornet once !!!

1 Like

???

1 Like

One of the very few things I have bought at Lidl, I consider, good value, were the fly screen ‘kits’ that were on offer a year or three ago, we have them on 5 windows :slightly_smiling_face:

Poor little bats, I dote on them, so sweet, dear little creatures :bat:
Even though they have fairly awful little faces, dodgy noses etc.

3 Likes

We enjoy them too V’ on the terrace, not sure about the bedroom though, btw, some would say my ‘snitch’ is a bit dodgy too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

1 Like

Such a pity it was the other side of the fence and only had one shot !
P1030560

3 Likes

I love bats…,.in uk we had pipistrelles in the attic and went well out of the way to ensure their safety during a reroof…Here they dart over my wilderness every evening and I’ve yet to take a decent photo…I think they are bigger than pipistrelles but not identified the species yet…they’re not in my attic so not sure where they’re from…as shaman guides/messengers/spirit guides I love what they represent…x :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I too love bats and in my old house would sit and watch them flitting around outside for ages.
However, I do not want them flying around above my bed, especially while I am in it, leaving their little ‘messages’ all around me or worse still clinging to my bedclothes …
They can and do carry diseases and believe me they do make a noise while flitting around inside. Several sleepless nights now and it’s getting a bit ‘too much’ ! :tired_face::tired_face::bat::bat:

1 Like

I must have been dreaming about you and your bats, 'cos when I woke up I had a clear picture of how to fix a net curtain around/over your velux. I could see the finished article clear as crystal…in my mind’s eye…

but do you think I can “see” it now, let alone describe it … aaaaargh…

2 Likes

Are they exhausted…??? When we were trying to work around our pipistrelles in uk there was only one time a few years later that I found one actually in the house…I picked it up and secured it on the wall of an outbuilding but found it dead a couple of days later…notable at the same time was crop spraying in surrounding fields…is there anything going on around you that may be disorientating them…???

2 Likes

First Huppe for a couple of years, nice to see one back :heart:

I love the noise they make, like a tiny umbrella being furled and unfurled rapidly, or someone shaking out a pair of fine leather gloves…

1 Like

No Helen, in fact I have two types of bats nesting here in my grenier (between the placo, insulation and roof) . I suppose that the colonies are quite large now and when they depart/return there is a lot of jostling going on. They only need a tiny space to squeeze through. I did find and seal up all the spaces above the bedroom area. I now believe they are coming through in an adjoining area that is much too high for me to tackle safely, ie 8 metres +. I don’t know of anyone here who can tackle this, nor do my French friends…
Maybe also this spell of very hot weather is having an effect on them. All I want is to be able to go to bed and sleep undisturbed by their noise, droppings, and flutterings :tired_face::sleepy: