Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 TV binge)

My daughter said the new Ghostbusters is brilliant, all the old characters apart from Wenkman are in it and Slimer of course.

Yes, so did I, already being a fan of Jodie Foster ever since her wonderful co-starring in the original tv series of Paper Moon. Of the man who starred with her I have never heard since, but he was excellent too.

Just checked, Christopher Connelly played her Dad, and one reason for his subsequent absence is that he sadly died of cancer about 10 years later at the age of 41.

But I always thought till now that the film of the same name came later, starring Ryan and his daughter Tatum, O’Neal and have always decried the fact that Foster did not get the job. But I have just read that the film came first, so 50 odd years of bitterness on my part at the apparent nepotism, was unfounded. :blush:

‘Love On A Branch Line’. It’s called an Eccentric British Comedy but it’s much more than that. I’d add another word, like sexy. I’m not a film buff but I’m glad I made it to the end - about 3 + hours long in total. The first half is a YouTube video, the second half is in an Internet Archive, separated for some reason from the first half.

It was a bit of a slog but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A comment in the YouTube section – “Only the Brits could produce such a treasure”.

First half - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpekKoUi6RU

Second half - LOBL 3& 4 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

1 Like

I rented Oppenheimer to see what the fuss was about. Absolute rubbish! The story jumped all over the place, too much mumbling, music far too intrusive and in wrong places, no acting skills jumped out at you. Certainly would not want to watch it a second time.

1 Like

The Old Oak - Ken Loach’s last movie on Netflix. Worth a watch although I think he got soft at the end where it all began to become - unlike him - a bit twee.

Felt similar

My daughter said the same but decided to give it another go and actually enjoyed it. I couldn’t really get into it at all, preferred The Bee Keeper as am a Statham fan.

Just watched ‘Everything Went Well’, a French film about an old man who, after a stroke, insisted on suicide. I won’t say much more about the film for those who haven’t seen it, but it set me thinking very hard and I felt terrified that, with all the checks and balances, and French law, which might prevent it, how could I insure that I wouldn’t be frustrated if I was in his position.

Much to think about, but a beautiful film and I do recommend it whether or not you might be that way inclined. :smiley:

1 Like

Another Netflix offering, The English Patient. I was more than half way through before I had worked out who was who with all the timeshifts back and forth. It was so bad that I seriously considered chucking it in halfway but persevered.

But once I got the hang of it it was thoughly enjoyable, so lucky I did.

I can’t believe they would make it so hard so suspect I missed bits for one reason or the other. :roll_eyes:

Has it already been mentioned? We’re watching The New Look on Apple TV - it’s wonderful (and heart-rending). Ben Mendelson as Christian Dior, Juliette Binoche as Coco Chanel and John Malkovich as Lucien Lelong are all superb - Ben especially so.

2 Likes

I started Scoop last night about the Prince Andy interview. Not finished yet so cannot give a recommendation or not but so far, it seems just to be too far fetched. Will let you know what I think when I finish it.

We’re watching the penultimate episode tonight. I’ve quite fallen in love with him and am going to miss having him in my life at the end of a busy day.

Don’t worry… You’ve still got us lot on here :smiley:

1 Like

We’re halfway through watching this…

And in case you’re not familiar with the name Elizabeth Holmes, here’s what she’s famous for…

Like too many American series these days, it feels like this is dragging a bit. There are 8 episodes in total, but I’m sure they could’ve squeezed it into 6 or even 4 easily enough, if they’d tried.

I remember reading a description of the technology they used and thinking to myself “but this can’t work!” and of course it didn’t.

1 Like

Perhaps you should have told someone? Emperor’s clothes?

I LOVED this! There were 4 around the same time. Inventing Anna about Anna Delvey, We Crashed about We Work, The Dropout about Holmes / Theranos and Superpumped about Uber and I enjoyed them all aside from the Uber one and that was only because they just seemed such awful human beings. All the others had redeeming characteristics, none of them seemed evil people for all their flaws. I’m still not sure what to make of Holmes after all this time. But yes, all of those shows I mentioned had at least 2, in some cases 4, too many episodes :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It was in a mainstream scientific publication, so not exactly a possibility for whistle-blowing. Having said that, they seemed to have managed to continue for another 10 years or so after IIRC. If The FDA didn’t read it and pull the plug then no-one was going to listen to me.

My take is that she believed the hype a little herself, then found she was on a track that she couldn’t leave without the world crashing down. Not seen the film, but just based on interviews and articles.

Yes, that’s how she’s portrayed in the TV series. In one scene, she attended the funeral of an uncle and was on the verge of quitting everything. She confided in her mother, who pretty much told her she couldn’t give it all up because she (Holmes) made her (the mother) so proud of what she had achieved by being a CEO at such a young age.

It could have been so, so different if only she hadn’t listened to her mother.

1 Like