Brexit - Time to Stop Whinging?

Sadly, there is no grey-area. We Brits in France are considered non-european as from 31/01/2020. That is the date that Britain leaves Europe… whether trade deals and other stuff is agreed at a later date or not :thinking:

At least we are leaving “with an Agreement” which means certain stuff should click into place… whereas all we could see on the websites was what was going to happen due to No-agreement.

But, Stella, the ‘agreement’ only lasts until 31 December 2020, surely? After that…we are at the mercy of BloJo™ and The Goodfellas… :thinking::slightly_frowning_face::face_with_head_bandage:

The WA covers the process of leaving.

Part of the WA was an agreement that nothing would change immediately after we left - to allow time to negotiate our future relationship with the EU (some confusion because May bizarrely kept referring to it as the “implementation period” despite not having negotiated anything to implement).

We now have to negotiate that future relationship with the EU - if we fail to come to an agreement by the end of the transition period then at the end of that there is a fresh opportunity to fall off the end of the cliff and have to trade on WTO terms.

We can extend transition, but only if we do so by the end of June - which Johnson has vowed not to do (and he’ll still be telling us there’s loads of time at that point).

1 Like

Issues such as freedom of movement for British citizens already resident in the EU could form part of the further agreement, though they are not in the WA. For many of us with clients in other EU countries that’s quite an important issue.

This thread links you to the latest from the French Interior Ministry and tells you what to expect if all goes well on Friday. It was posted on this site several days ago.

Indeed Dan… yet, on the first page… it lays out what should happen “In the event of withdrawal with an agreement”…

which means that the site does not, as yet, acknowledge that there is an agreement. which also means we have to consider the alternative… which is also listed on that page…

and, as we are all thinking/saying… nothing is clear until it is clearly laid out in words we can all understand without any room for misunderstanding…

I think it will be dealt with in a reciprocal basis, ie if the UK imposes very restrictive conditions on EU citizens who want to work in the UK, then you may find those same conditions being imposed here - with probably a relatively greater unpleasant effect because of the different demographics involved.

I don’t trust the current British government to give two hoots for a bunch of non-plutocrat British residents in the EU, I am not personally affected whatever happens but that doesn’t stop me being worried about people I know…

4 Likes

stella woodsmwTeam

Indeed Dan… yet, on the first page… it lays out what should happen “In the event of withdrawal with an agreement”…

which means that the site does not, as yet, acknowledge that there is an agreement. which also means we have to consider the alternative… which is also listed on that page…

and, as we are all thinking/saying… nothing is clear until it is clearly laid out in words we can all understand without any room for misunderstanding…

Dan, I’m losing the plot… or my marbles. As I reported recently, official word is that those who have made an application will be dealt with as speedily as possible once the date of 31/01/2020 is passed…

Bit confused now Stella!

We don’t know one another in any real sense of the word ‘know’, @vero, but I appreciate very much your generosity of spirit towards those of us, like me, with very weak credentials on internationalism overall, and on France particularly, my preferred locus vivendi mortuisque.

It speaks powerfully and hopefully about the European project of ever closer union too. :hugs::+1:

4 Likes

Ha ha @Dan_Wood sorry … too many Dan’s ??? not, of course not… fingers tripping up on the keyboard…

my reply was meant for @anon14704272

Anyway, you can all relax… no more keyboard mishaps from me tonight, I’m off out dancing the night away… anyone fancy a Mazurka or a Bourée :crazy_face: :hugs: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

So what is difrens from all the brits that live and work even retire in country’s outside the eu ?

I was just pointing out there there is a web site that says what to expect if there is an agreement.

Britons who are resident in France before the end of the transition period will find their applications for a CdS less onerous than for those people outside the EU.

1 Like

It is really confusing…

In my personal situation I think I have “exercised my right to freedom of movement” correctly although I’m not entirely sure…???

I moved here in June 2016…I haven’t been back to uk since although have been on the brink of return many times because of my mom…and if she needs me there I will go back in a heartbeat to take care of her for however long she needs me…

I’ve completed a tax return here every year (including my first partial year)

I have private health insurance…(gave up trying to get a carte vitale and for several reasons feel more comfortable at present with that decision)

However…my partner of over 20 years although spending as much time as possible here with me is still in uk…

We’re not married…

He has his state pension so entitled to an S1…

If he makes the move here during the transition period…he will still have to spend a lot of time in uk…(commercial lease with his son)

Really not sure what to do for the best…eg worrying about income requirements as a couple…(many years until I can claim my own state pension and don’t want to sit here wishing my life away…lol)

Any dreams my kids had of buying here/moving here have long since bit the dust…my son is off to Australia instead… (His girlfriend is currently in China…face mask and sanitisers…!)

1 Like

I think in this instance we are talking about British nationals (English Northern Irish Scottish Welsh) who have moved to other European countries in good faith who are now facing curtailment of their rights due to it has to be said a minority 37% voting for Brexshit…

I’ve only ever lived in England and now France so not hugely travelled…just feeling really sad as Friday approaches…

Can the reason be that allot of brits don’t really move here what I mean when you immigrate to a country you cut with your home country for me it seems that allot of brits don’t do it 100% allot of brits I meet say the live in France but the are going back from allot even working in the uk still and people that are pensioners are talking about not staying here the hole life are moving back when the get to a old age what I’m thinking they are not here for the long term I don’t get why it’s so important to hold on to country that you moved away from the beginning

2 Likes

Quite right Dan… the confusing thing has been so many different official govt sites (French and English) which do not say the same things on their own multi sites, let alone one country saying the same as the other…

Whatever… we shall all get there in the end… :hugs:

1 Like

Most European people who emigrate within Europe (or who go somewhere out of Europe with better climate eg French people to Morocco or Senegal) have family ties still in the country from which they emigrate, and may wish to send children to university there, or own property there, etc. That is fairly normal.

1 Like

I’ve got no financial ties with the uk…no assets there not even a bank account but my elderly disabled mom lives there…my kids are there (albeit my youngest off to Australia for a year) …my grandkids are growing up there…they are my reasons for “holding on” to the country of my birth and caring very much…

2 Likes