New declaration required for property owners

Just the date when it became your holiday home.

This declaration is seeking info from Jan 1st 2023. So just put that date (or the date of purchase) and it is your second home all the time whether or not you are there, so which one really doesn’t matter too much.

They are trying to identify second homes that are due to pay taxe d’habitation. So as long as they can do that the rest is minor.

The only notification of this survey is from SF no post in the box, no notification at the Mairie’s how are people to know about this?

2 Likes

In general the French attitude is that people need to take responsibility for finding out and knowing what to do.

We learnt this lesson the hard way when a penalty tax for CFE dropped into our letter box and we had no idea what it was. This tax is all online, and as a LMNP we were supposed to know that we had to pay this.

However with this new declaration I think you may get something alongside the exhortation about taxes when the season opens later this month.

However in your personal space online there should be a message alert (a blue blob) telling you there is something you have to do.

Mine came in the form of an email from the impots.

Mine too - only recently though!

It’s an interesting one. To be fair, there have been quite a few articles in the French press on this, sometimes several in a week…ditto in the English language press aimed at foreigners living in/having property in France.

Like @Flocreen I too received an email from the Impôts. From a quick search the ‘gap’ would appear to be media overseas eg UK media, for whom I guess this issue is just not much of a story…

My view is that there is no one golden source for information on France, hence my constantly needing to scour French national and local media, Mairie etc. Above all thank goodness for SF (and if I recall correctly @JaneJones for first flagging this up).

2 Likes

I too received an email from Impots, so people are being informed about the need to fill in the form.

I tend to disagree. Everything is on the service public website and even if I initially read of something somewhere else, if it is anything that looks as if it will affect me personally I always check it out on service_public to read about it first hand. But, we have also created accounts on service_public. We receive a weekly email newsletter with information about new regulations and changing to existing, and we also opted to receive emails on topics of interest to us. We did this during Brexit, to keep up to date, and each time the service_public page was amended we received an alert. We also ticked the box to receive updates on tax etc. It works very well and it is rare that we read about something in the press before we have seen it in a service-public newsletter. In fact suspect that this is how journalists get their information.
But I do not know if non residents can do this.

As far as this particular requirement goes, I am sure there was information about it in one of the service-public’s weekly email newsletters quite a while back. I imagine that it will be probably pointed out to everybody when they go online to complete their tax returns. If second homers want to keep up to date and are able to sign up on service_public to receive the wee.kly newsletter that would be the best way I think, of course a lot of it would not concern them but they might find it interesting to find out more about how France works…

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks!!

Same here :slightly_smiling_face:

Snap.

I completely agree with you that service public is a fantastic source of information particularly about regulations, changes in regulations, or how to report something etc etc. It is user friendly and helpful.

What I had in mind though is finding out about things that may impact me locally, as well as nationally. To take recent examples, learning about new nuclear power stations planned for the area, or a series of ĂŠoliennes that might make their appearance locally, or this week, the timetable and route for a major sports car rally within noise range of our hamlet. Service public would not obviously be covering this type of issue that may impact us, hence the need (at least for me) to read local newspapers, Mairie and Maire FB pages, et al to ensure I am better informed on local developments.

1 Like

Hi All

I’ve tried creating my space on the Gouv site. I used my Numero Fiscal but then got bounced back with a message that I need to have already proved my identity with one of several documents at my local Tax office.
Have any of you received that message and had to go to the tax office?

Luckily we are back in France in 2 weeks but If we hadn’t been coming back we would not have been able to register

Hi Me again
I’ve now found that in order to create my personalised on the Gouv site, I can send a copy of my passport via an email
dinr.servicesenligne@dgfip.finances.gouv.fr

Will wait with baited breath

1 Like

Hello.
Using the Dispofi site I am attempting to register for a TIN, but emails are rejected when sent to the mail address supplied saying sip.villeneuve-sur-lot@dgfip.finances.gouv.fr: Recipient address rejected: le destinataire du courriel est inexistant.

This seems odd, its a government site. Is anyone aware of changes to tax office email addresses? Or what I could be doing wrong?

This is what is on the Dispofi site for my closest office:-

Villeneuve-sur-Lot Personal Tax Department
Chemin de Velours
47308 Villeneuve-sur-Lot Cedex
Telephone 0553015500
sip.villeneuve-sur-lot@dgfip.finances.gouv.fr

Thanks

Graeme

What is this site? It doesn’t end gouv.fr so I assume it’s not a government site? But the government site when you type in that postal address Service départemental des impôts des particuliers de Lot-et-Garonne - Antenne de Villeneuve-sur-Lot - Lot-et-Garonne - 47 - Annuaire | Service-Public.fr brings up sip.lotetgaronne@dgfip.finances.gouv.fr instead? Does that sound like the right place? I’m not familiar with your area.

But to answer your question, it’s only my local experience obviously but yes, I have found a multitude of emails for the same tax office / prefecture etc available online, and in fact I’ve sent things to the address on the relevant government website and got nothing then only after emailing a general info@ type address received a reply giving me a different address with similar wording and format to the last but with an added word or something, suggesting it’s a new address and the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing, although as I say, other areas may be entirely different.

1 Like

Thanks very much. I have now tried that email address. The automated response said that I would get a faster reply if I logged in to my personal space on Impots.

However as I understand it to create that personal space I need a TIN. Catch 22.

Will wait to see what if anything else is said.

The end objective is to register our property.

2 Likes

This must be extremely frustrating for you. Hopefully others will offer more informed suggestions…

If you’re concerned about registering for the new declaration for property owners,(please ignore the rest of this post if I’ve misunderstood) I wonder if (from a language point of view) you would be comfortable talking to the helpline, which according to Service Public is 0809041401 from within France. I assume this can be accessed from the UK?

Failing that, have you called the local tax office to try and explain your predicament/seek an appointment to demonstrate willingness to declare but for technology! If all else fails, you could send an actual letter, registered, to evidence that you have tried to register, in time, that the property will not be your principal residence (I assume) and that you are at their disposal for any information they may wish to receive. Accompany it with a justificatif !

If you’re in France/going to be in France imminently, your local Mairie might currently be organising a drop in session with the Impôts, for informal meetings. Ours certainly is, to help people battling their way through tax returns, and the Impôts person could at least note you’ve tried to register.

As an aside it took 12-18 months from purchase for the Impôts to contact us, with a view to registering our details for taxe d’habitation, and any attempts on my part to try and short circuit the system prior to them contacting me drew a blank.

Best of luck.

1 Like