Theresa May’s Brexit Deal Rejected By MPs For A Second Time

Yo Norman. Cheers mate ! Nice post. Get the french citizenship and start a politician career, my country needs people like you.

En attendant mets-toi à table j’ai ramené des rillettes !

Jeremy Mitchell… Who kicked the stone HE was hiding under???

1 Like

So, lets start with the fact that not all of us have left the UK for the “French Dream” but simply own a 2nd home in France.

Wow, what a short sighed vision.

I doubt any UK citizen who lives in France expects the GBP (Great British Public) to bend over backwards to make their life easier - but there is an important principle, embodied in the Hippocratic Oath - “primum non nocere” - " first, to do no harm" which is a good maxim by which to live.

The Leave vote certainly harms many who have chosen to live in the EU - for some it will mean that they cannot carry on their chosen profession, or even earn a living at all; for others it will mean having to manage with less income, not having access to healthcare - or having to pay considerably more to maintain that access, not being able to vote in or take part in local elections.

But the Leave vote also harms those who do not live in the EU but remain at home in the UK - the economy has shrunk by 2-3% compared with the rest of the world, finance is busily moving elsewhere, jobs are disappearing as fast as morning mist disappearing in the sun, EU citizens living in the UK have been attacked in the street for the heinous crime of speaking French. There will be no “Brexit Dividend”; the deprived areas of the UK will least be able to cope with prices rising, investment receding and jobs disappearing. Not that the likes of JRM, BoJo or Farage could give a shit about that.

If you harm me is it not reasonable to despise you? Certainly the Brexit crowd despises the EU and Europhiles for more imagined and less real sleights than the harm the Leave vote will inflict upon millions both at home and abroad.

No, I expect people to behave in a reasonable, even handed way - not a bigoted, xenophobic, short sighted, little Englander exceptionalist manner.

10 Likes

Great riposte Paul :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed in totality - what a sad-sack Jeremy Mitchell seems to be. Of course completely ignoring the fact that it was the UK that started the whole sorry saga and has been the home of his sort of invective ever since.
What was the old expression? Oh yes, Jermey - go forth and multiply! (That typo on his name was in error, but seems so right I have decided to let it stand!)

1 Like

Already got the Nationality - almost two years ago now. Too old for a career in politics now (and don’t tell anybody but today is my 79th birthday!) Like the offer - and who knows? What part of OUR beloved country do you occupy? I am in the South Correze just 5kms from the Lot River. Lovely part of the world let alone France!

3 Likes

Jeremy - patently the word is ‘Francophobe’?

Also, spouting invective and, obviously, not having taken any steps to really understand the consequences for people who legally moved to another country.
Or probably worse, not caring at all.

I was totally surprised the other day when two people thought I was sixty years old when I shall be seventy two in July.
Gave me a real fillip.

2 Likes

There used to be an expression - which I believe was applied to men - ‘You are as old as the woman you feel’
Not quite sure where that leaves me though!

Happy birthday.

Happy Birthday Norman - have a lovely day :birthday::birthday::birthday:

Old Norm, old…
Great word ‘invective’, i’m just looking it up !

Happy Birthday Norman.
The sun is shining here in Clunysois after many grey days.
I hope it is with you as well.

Happy birthday! :champagne::birthday:

How very kind! Wasn’t expecting that at all! Seriously. Thank you all, and the day will be highlighted by a lunch with our very small family - three of us. Good bottle of wine, and I have already bought my own present, which seems to be working well (LED Projector), then maybe watch some Rugby - is it the last day of the 6 Nations ? I haven’t looked it up.
Again thank you all. I am very touched.

1 Like

Shishimamito…I didn’t expect a whole heap of agreement from you guys but neither did I expect the personal attacks. Sorry Simon, at best I speak Franglais and tend to make up my own words…somehow I get by.

I’m mildly disappointed (although maybe I shouldn’t be) that we could not be a little less blinkered in our views and perhaps be a little more open to the other side. After all everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I merely wanted to make the point that it seemed to moi that there is a lot of whinging posted on on the forum that is misplaced against the honest Brexiteer.

Some of you must remember the Common Market? That is where the average Brexiteer wants to be. Out of the Brussels bureaucratic gravy-train, out of the ECJ, controlling our own laws and borders. We also want to be the closest of friends with the French, security co-operation, trading partners etc. and what is wrong with that? Of course the very many French who reside in (mainly) London and much lesser number of Brits who reside in France should (and will) have all their rights protected I firmly believe.

Sorry Norman…Francophile…I love France (I’m frequently told I even look French) and we are actually in the process of trying to buy there again, I was over there recently and made an offer on a property in Brittany near where we lived before. My heart sings when we roll off the ferry and start travelling through the gorgeous French countryside. I feel like kissing the ground.

Teresa, you are making so many erroneous assumptions on which to despise the little Englander but I really don’t imagine that you will have a problem with transferring funds, although at what exchange rate who knows and that, I agree, could be a problem. As regards to Brexit depriving your children I presume you are referring to the ability to work in the EU because travelling should not ever be a problem. However, Europe is only a very small fraction of the planet and there is the rest of the World to consider. I have a daughter who spent 4 years in Dubai, a son who still works in Singapore, two brothers and a sister who lived for many years in the USA (one of whom still does), I lived for eight years in Khartoum, Trinidad and Australia and my partner lived and worked in Australia…why would you limit your children to Europe when they have the rest of the World as their oyster?

Anyhow, thanks to everyone who contributed to this subject, despite some of the rather harsh (and to my mind unnecessary) comments. I am very hopeful that the whole shambolic mess this has turned out to be will sort itself out and we can all live in harmony again.

I will now crawl back under my stone Carl.

Vive La France (and England).

6 Likes

Hi Jeremy - just out of interest, firstly which laws and secondly how do ‘they’ control the non-schengen UK borders?

Good response by the way - don’t agree with much of it but hey!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

?
What do we look like?

What does “shishimamito” mean? It looks as if it should be Japanese, but it isn’t Japanese is it?

1 Like

Shishimamito is an exclamatory expression derived from the ancient language Jeremese, barely spoken these days except in times of crises.

Apparently, Véronique, the French look like Moi, so I am routinely told, mores the pity for them.

Simon I am no expert on this so cut me down like a cur but we are, are we not, subject to EU law so long as we are in the EU and consequently our borders are open (both ways obviously) to all and any EU traffic. Yer average Brexiteer does not, and I repeat not, want to stop all traffic in either direction, he/she just wants a modicum, just a tiny tiddly tad of control over the matter. A points system like Australia would seem the fairest solution peut-etre?

I have yet to receive an argument against what is wrong with returning to the original Common Market idea…free trade in both directions, tight co-operation on all security matters, entente cordial in all directions, peace, love and harmony for all mais oui, mais oui.

6 Likes